Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Public > Chat
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How should we tackle watching the Star Wars series?
Start with I and watch them all. 0 0%
Start with IV-VI and then watch I-III. 7 87.50%
Only watch IV-VI and ignore I-III. 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 4th, 2016, 16:32   #1
Nuxie
recidivist rogue

Retired Victrix Members

Thumbs up Star Wars

Nope -- nothing to do with the new film. Instead, let's hop in the wayback machine and talk about the first six.

My wife is great, but one of her few flaws is that she has little interest in science fiction or the fantasy genre. Despite that, she reluctantly watched Game of Thrones with me and was hooked to the point of wanting to binge watch the whole series. That's opened up a willingness to try the Star Wars movies. Keeping in mind that getting off to a bad start could cause her to dismiss the whole series, my question to you is this: Which ones and in what order? Please post your reasoning if you have the time. Thanks!

Scream In Braille, P | Ryanne Lynnrose, R | Perpetual Deja Vu, E | I Bent My Wookie (PvP) | Perpetual Caffeine (PvP)

Last edited by Nuxie; January 4th, 2016 at 16:37.
Nuxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 17:08   #2
Velvet
Den Mother

SoF Councillors

I'd say just have her watch Episodes IV - VI, and forget about I - III. Also, I'd preface this with a reminder that these were made in the late 70's - early 80's, just for perspective - especially if "Game of Thrones" is her only other recent foray into the sci-fi/fantasy genre.

My reasoning does have to do with the current Episode VII - this movie is SO MUCH more like Episodes IV - VI, and (to me) represents the classic Star Wars style that the entire franchise was built around.

Also, while the special effects were obviously much better in Episodes I - III (having had ~20 years of movie tech advances) compared to Episodes IV - VI, I was very disappointed with the writing and acting in Episodes I - III, and Jar-Jar Binks alone is enough to make anyone have nightmares!!

If she likes Episodes IV - VI, then take her to see Episode VII, and if she is hooked, then she can back-fill with Episodes I - III while we wait for Episode VIII to come out!

- Vel

GW1: Velvet Darkshadow (N)~Lily Goldenrod (Rit)~Neysa Pearldrop (Mo)~Syrenia Longbow (R)~Calypso Dragonheart (W)~
Melodie Dewshine (E)~Darien Archangel (P)~Paige Diamond (D)~Velvet of Fortuna (PvP)
GW2: Velvet.8610
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 22:13   #3
Valeon
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

Send a message via Skype™ to Valeon
Quote:
IV-VI and then watch I-III
I agree with Velvet here.

And I have actually tried this a few days ago with some people who never seen the series before. (in the teenage category)
Starting with Eps I definitely did not work, so IV-VI (and then possibly VII) is probably the way to go.
Eps I Bottlenecks were (among others) the overly arrogant brat Anakin, and of course misa fevorit charaktar Jar-Jar.

I-III could be watched after if the others are well received, with a heavy disclaimer on Eps I as "the one to get through".

Valda Shepard ~ Valerie Voltaire ~ Valaer Warslash ~ Valhael Westen ~ Valiia ~ Valiique
Vala Warforge ~ Valisse Vangelis ~ Valeriana Veracini ~ Val Tekk Su Port ~ Valara Croft ~ Valereon Valente
Valensia Devienne ~ Valeth Soulreaver ~ Valette Aetherdust ~ Valice Nightsparrow ~ Valeon Averam ~ Vallonea Ventures

Last edited by Valeon; January 4th, 2016 at 22:18.
Valeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 13:02   #4
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

I agree, watch the IV-VI before any others. I still haven't seen VII so I can't recommend that but the bad story telling in episodes I-III is enough to turn people off from the whole series.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 20:29   #5
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

I kind of miss 'don't watch any of them'.
Game of Thrones is on another level.
What makes Game of Thrones such a great series is the tension between characters, as well as the various timelines that are displayed side by side.

Star Wars is a series that is about good and evil, but is a bit bland in comparison to Game of Thrones.
The episodes I to III are really a sad thing. They tried to insert some bit of humor with Jar Jar, and everyone agrees: that was a terrible way to try it.
Chewbacca was the right way to do it. Goofy does not cut it.
Also the way to be seduced by 'evil' could have been far more convincing if they gave it thought and more room to breathe.
Certainly not episode I to III.

Episode IV to VI are ok. But to say they have same cliffhanger feeling as Game of Thrones - no, sorry. The missed opportunity I feel is that they never were able to explain the Dark Side well enough. This is where Game of Thrones shines. Every of the characters has motives to do what he or she does. And the characters grow in the series and change.
I guess you could say Anakin changed. But I just don't feel it was never fully exploited to the maximum.

Episode VII - I just watched it a week ago. I felt the scenaries were beautiful. Certainly better then episodes I to III. But the plot was too similar to one of the already released episodes imho. Plot isnt StarWars best part.

I'm making a guess that the plot part is what most people like in Game of Thrones.

Cheers,

Makk.

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 22:00   #6
Empedocles
On High Carb Atkins

SoF Emeritus

I think you may want to consult the famous Machete Order:

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/201...viewing-order/

It's a very long post, and well thought, I'd say.

Here some excerpts:

Quote:
There are two obvious options for watching the Star Wars saga.

Release Order - Watch the films in the order they came out, recreating your experience with the films for someone new to them.
Episode Order - Watch the films in the order George Lucas intends, starting with Episode I and going straight through to Episode VI

There are two critical flaws with both of these orders, unfortunately, that prevent either from being appropriate.

The problem with Episode Order is that it ruins the surprise that Vader is Luke's father. If you think that this reveal doesn't matter since it's common knowledge, I suggest you watch the looks on these kids' faces. This reveal is one of the most shocking in film history, and if a newcomer to the series has managed to avoid having it spoiled for them, watching the films in Episode Order would be like watching the ending of The Sixth Sense first.

The other problem with Episode Order is that the prequels don't really have a story. They're just background for the real story, which is Luke's attempt to destroy the Empire and save his father. Watching 3 films of backstory is boring if you've never seen the films they're the background to. Hell, that's why George Lucas made Star Wars (later renamed A New Hope) first - it was the most interesting story he had in his brain at the time. Starting someone off with Episode I is a surefire way to ensure they don't make it through the entire franchise.

Unfortunately, Release Order is also an instant failure, and the reason is a single shot. If you're watching the official releases and you view the original trilogy first, then after the Empire is destroyed and everyone is celebrating, Luke looks over at his mentors, Ben Kenobi and Yoda, and suddenly they are joined by... some random creepy looking teenager who needs a haircut.

How can you ensure that a viewing keeps the Vader reveal a surprise, while introducing young Anakin before the end of Return of the Jedi?

Simple, watch them in this order: IV, V, II, III, VI. You may notice Episode I is gone. I'll get to that in a second.
Quote:
The reason to skip Episode I isn't that it's bad, it's that it's irrelevant. If you accept my suggestion that Star Wars, the saga, is really about Luke's journey and his decision to accept his hero's burden by saving not only the galaxy from the Empire, but his father from the dark side as well, then you'll find that everything that happens in Episode I is a distraction from that story.
Quote:
Here's some stuff that you no longer have to see as part of your Star Wars viewing experience, thanks to skipping Episode I.

Virtually no Jar-Jar. Jar-Jar has about 5 lines in Episode II, and zero in Episode III.
Buh-bye, Binks!

No midichlorians. There is only one reference to midichlorians after Episode I, and in the context it appears to mean something as benign as "DNA."

No Jake Lloyd. Sorry Jake, your acting is terrible and I never really wanted to see Darth Vader as a little boy.

No confusing Padme/Queen switcheroo. The whole subplot with Padme and her decoy makes absolutely no sense. It's clear that this was just so people could interact with Padme without knowing she was the Queen, but it's incredibly convoluted and pointless.

Less confusing master/apprentice relationships. Darth Sidious is training Count Dooku, Obi-Wan is training Anakin. No other trainer/trainee relationships exist to confuse the backstory. Fewer characters to learn about, so the story is more focused.

Nothing about trade disputes. The "problem" as of Episode II is that a group of systems want to leave the Republic. This is much easier to understand for a kid than trade disputes.
No pod racing. Seriously, who gives a shit? An action sequence for the sake of an action sequence and it goes on forever. A huge number of plot holes surrounding gambling and the subsequent freeing of Anakin are removed as well.

No virgin birth. We simply don't know or care who Anakin's father is, and the botched implication that Palpatine knows is gone.
Empedocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 02:05   #7
Sinned61
Reef

Forum Members

I bet I can say I am most likely the only one in the guild who watch every star wars at the theater when they were originally released I can prolly say I was watching the first SW or the 4th how ever ya wanna look at it before some of you were born back in 77. but trust me Ill trade places with ya in a heart beat lol
Sinned61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 11:07   #8
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Whilst you would have that on me I am reasonably sure some members could have seen all the movies at the cinema.

strange to think that I have been a member of this guild for 10 years from 2005 I think.
Old January 13th, 2016, 11:10   #9
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Sinned, I watched the first Star Wars (episode IV) in the theater when it came out and saw V and VI on opening day for each of them. Some of us are older than we seem (or act in some cases).

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 17:55   #10
Sinned61
Reef

Forum Members

That's even more awesome, Let me humbly apologize for my old man arrogance . this only strengthens my belief that I'm in the right guild
Sinned61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 02:40   #11
Nuxie
recidivist rogue

Retired Victrix Members

Thanks for the responses, folks! Keep 'em coming -- we are still a bit away from starting the watch party.

I, too, saw all the originals in the theater (in three different cities, no less).

Scream In Braille, P | Ryanne Lynnrose, R | Perpetual Deja Vu, E | I Bent My Wookie (PvP) | Perpetual Caffeine (PvP)
Nuxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 00:59   #12
bsoltan
/flex

SoF Councillors

If I feel the need to re-watch I'll be giving the 'Machete Order' a try, as per Emp's post.
bsoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 23:39   #13
Velvet
Den Mother

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinned61 View Post
I bet I can say I am most likely the only one in the guild who watch every star wars at the theater when they were originally released I can prolly say I was watching the first SW or the 4th how ever ya wanna look at it before some of you were born back in 77. but trust me Ill trade places with ya in a heart beat lol
I also saw ALL of the Star Wars films in the theater when they were first released, but don't you dare ask me how old I am...it is not polite to ask a lady her age!

-Vel

GW1: Velvet Darkshadow (N)~Lily Goldenrod (Rit)~Neysa Pearldrop (Mo)~Syrenia Longbow (R)~Calypso Dragonheart (W)~
Melodie Dewshine (E)~Darien Archangel (P)~Paige Diamond (D)~Velvet of Fortuna (PvP)
GW2: Velvet.8610
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:19   #14
bsoltan
/flex

SoF Councillors

We must have lots of time travellers on this forum.
bsoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 20:22   #15
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I also saw ALL of the Star Wars films in the theater when they were first released, but don't you dare ask me how old I am...it is not polite to ask a lady her age!

-Vel
I don't have to ask.
I know you are 28.

woops, was I not supposed to reveal that?

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote