Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > GW2 Talk
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:15   #16
Madcat
Advanced Shiverpeaks

SoF Members

What's this trait line problem? I admit I haven't been playing as much as I could be, so have missed a lot of the changes and so.

Also, I don't know - GW2's systems just feel like they're complicated for the sake of being complicated - I think I honestly prefer GW1; It's just a bit sad to log into Kamadan and see practically no-one there
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 01:35   #17
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

The change last April introduced unneeded and completely ridiculous changes in how traits were unlocked and available to use. In the prior version, at levels 11, 40 and 60 you gained the ability to purchase a trait manual with in game gold. When purchased you double clicked on it and then all traits of that particular level became available for you to experiment with. I forget how much the first manual was (10s) but the other two were 1g and 2g each. As you leveled up from and starting at level 11 you got one trait point at each level. This allowed you to have a selectable trait at level 20 and a 100 point bonus to one trait line of your choice or you could have two lines at the 5 point non-selectable trait and 50 point bonus in two trait lines. You could also experiment with any number of points spread out how you desired. If you changed your mind you could visit the trait retrainer and pay gold to have all your points refunded so you could allocate them again. At the level 40 and 60 books, your trait points were automatically refunded when you used the respective book.

Then came April 2014.....

Now to unlock traits you first have to level to 30 before you can even see what traits are available. Every 6 levels you get a new "point" (they changed it from 1 point intervals to 5 point intervals at this point) but you do not get any traits to use the trait point on, you have to unlock them. Some of these unlocks are that you have to completely map a zone or participate in a group event which leads to other problems as some of the zones are at 10+ levels higher than the level at which you gain access to the trait. Group events are only achievable at certain times and are only able to be completed when you have a group. The traits are also first unlocked at higher levels now. The old version was level 11, 40 and 60. Now the levels required are 30, 60 and 80.

They've included the ability to purchase the various traits but this requires not only gold but also skill points which a person is going to need to unlock the utility skills for a character. The also increased the gold and skill points. The old version cost a little more than 3 gold to unlock all the traits and no skill points were needed. The new version now requires 43 gold and over 350 skill points

To make this all the worse, this is for every character you create. I could see if they wanted people to do this the first time on an account but for every character you create it's utterly ridiculous.

This is just the basic trait problems and when you combine it with the insult that was the NPE (New Player Experience) it's completely cured my desire for more alts.

To give you a good idea how much I hate these two changes.... Before the update I had 28 permanent characters and had purchased over 100,000 gems. Since the update I have not purchased a gem or leveled a character beyond level 10 (except to test the system).

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 13:35   #18
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

being of modest time and money I only have 8 characters and reach level 80 with all of them just after the new system was introduced.

I therefore avoided the problem.

Bunter however is the first person I have come across (admittedly I was not looking) to explain this.

Yes this looks like a truly terrible system.
Old February 4th, 2015, 13:58   #19
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

on an entirely different note.

If the new profession has only appeared after the personal story does this mean that they won't be able to play the story missions and the season 2 content?

Or is it just a game and that isn't important
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:34   #20
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Latest video of new Borderland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZLyQEXedq0

In-game footage of new profession: Revenant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkD-vrUawo

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:40   #21
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

well I bought it.

Not been playing much lately, but then again 3 years of game play I think they've done enough for my money
Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:38   #22
Jaxx
Seeker Shing Jea

SoT Ambassadors

So now that HoT is live just wanted to prepare every one that the update was ~3.5GB for me and I had it pre-purchased and fully updated before hand. So look forward to a bit of an extra wait as you patch but when you get in looking forward to seeing you all in the Jungle!!

GW1: Jaxx Skraxis W/x among others GW2: Jaxx.5984
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:27   #23
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

How is the expansion?? Do we have a guild hall yet?

I moved house 3 weeks ago today and still in chaos here. Gaming PC still boxed up and desk not assembled etc

Look forward to hearing how it's going for those of us that can't be there

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:23   #24
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Been off not playing for a long time it seems.

Looks like they have changed a hell of a lot in the game. Almost like a new game.

Don't currently have a lot of time due to having a new daughter to take care of.
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:45   #25
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhart View Post
Been off not playing for a long time it seems.

Looks like they have changed a hell of a lot in the game. Almost like a new game.

Don't currently have a lot of time due to having a new daughter to take care of.
Congrats on the addition!

Be great if any one in the guild who IS playing it can give us a review/update/thoughts.

Is it game changing? A reason for retired players to come back? A breath of fresh air?

What are people's thoughts?

I will get it but I can't while currently in moving house chaos with no PC/desk setup etc.

Keen to hear

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:41   #26
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

I dropped in for the first time on it dropping and was a bit lost as to how everything fits together.
Old October 26th, 2015, 16:05   #27
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

I haven't played too far into HoT. I've been helping to coordinate the guild hall expansion of my WvW guild.

From what I've seen and heard, there is a bunch of grind: Hero points, mastery points, materials for guild hall, etc. The new maps are very nice to look at but drive me nuts. The challenges on the maps such as completion or a hero point is not for the solo person to complete easily as some of them have champion spawns you have to defeat and you are timed for completion (don't kill in the time, no completion, have to start over and hope someone else comes along).

For those that want a bit more challenging fight, the game is nice but does come with some grind. Overall I like it but I don't care for the new maps.

Old October 26th, 2015, 23:40   #28
WetWookie
Needs a towel...

SoF Councillors

1) Lots of grind and some map completion objectives are locked behind grind
2) Gliding is a ton of fun. I could honestly spend hours just flying around on updrafts.

WetWookie.1687
WetWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 03:06   #29
Ayano Mitsu
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

I put a decent amount of time into the PvE portions of the expansion this past weekend so here are some of my first impressions about it:

1) Everything takes a lot longer than I thought it would. What I mean by this is, for example, it takes 400 total hero points to completely unlock the elite specialization on a character (only 200 if you already had map completion on that character). The new HoT hero challenges give 10 points each, so at the very least you're completing 20 new hero challenges. As Bunter and Wookie already pointed out, you need masteries for basically everything in the new expansion maps. Now, I don't think this is a bad thing...for starters, all of the masteries are account bound so you'd only need to unlock them once to use them on your other toons. I personally think the mastery system gives a new sense of progression for your characters. If you can't reach a certain hero point because you need the updraft gliding mastery for example, it feels pretty rewarding when you finally do get the mastery and use it to get there

2) The new content is pretty hard...especially if you're trying to do things on your own. This is particularly true for some of the hero point challenges - many of them spawn champions and stuff. Again, I think this is a rather nice change! It's quite fun to take these enemies down with friends or guildies.

3) Event chains occur all over the new maps and give great experience towards leveling the masteries, but right now it can be somewhat frustrating to do them. The new maps are HUGE and sometimes it seems like the megaserver system isn't working properly because there are instances where it'll seem like there isn't anyone around. The waypoints are sparse and sometimes become contested, so if you die during an event it might already be over by the time you manage to get back. In addition to this, the new inactivity timers for events kick in soon after you stop participating, so if you die and the event ends while you're heading back you won't get any experience for your contribution.

4) The guild halls are pretty awesome so I can't wait until we get ours

5) Like Wookie said, gliding is the best thing ever!!

If you guys have any specific questions feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer

Ayano Mitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 13:20   #30
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

With my WvW guild, we unlocked and have started to work on the guild hall upgrades. Gilded Hollow is a very nice looking hall and is not as dark as the pictures/screenshots may make it look.

That's the good part, the bad is the huge and I do mean HUGE amount of materials to upgrade the hall. The materials come from all game modes and both the new and old maps. Of course some of the stuff is from the new maps so if you try to buy it the prices are very high right now. The donation system makes it easy to donate to the cause and not have to worry about the items "going missing". It's a rather nice system. The problem occurs where Anet has made some upgrades impossible and the biggest one is the wvw portion of the hall. It's supposed to be fixed soon but soon is a relative term.

I am impressed with the sheer amount of variety in the hall, you'll have gathering nodes, a tavern for guild buffs, a complete shop including a trader that sells miniatures with the guild emblem on them. It might take a smaller guild like SoF some time to complete upgrades but it's definitely worth it.

One problem with the halls is that you cannot log into them. You are returned to where you were in the "real world" sort of like when you log out of WvW. They also have a clunky overflow mechanic for the number of people in the hall and I hope they sort that out soon.

WvW gathering is now really nice. Each objective (keep, tower, camp) has a set of nodes that refresh on the 1/2 hour and you can gather from them. It's more RNG but in this case it's not bad. One swing of the mining pick you might get copper and the next orichalcum. The plant nodes are wonderful as you can get lemongrass and seaweed (which are two or the more popular wvw foods) in wvw now as you couldn't before.

Like Ayano says, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. I'll be happy to help.