Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Public > Chat
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old April 15th, 2014, 13:49   #1
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Family Board games

So I was thinking I'd throw this one out there and see if anyone had any suggestions or experiences they might like to share.

the wife, myself and 10 year old son would like to have a family board gaming night. Or if you want to put it another way I think it might be a good idea. You know family togetherness and away from tv and computer.

We have all the usual games like monopoly etc, but I am thinking something more co-operative.

I was thinking some D&D like Wrath of Ashardalon: Board Game Wrath of Ashardalon: Board Game
I have never done D&D (barring computer games) and I suspect the wife won't be really interested but I think it ticks boxes on fun and educational.

This also gets me thinking about what board games if any people play these days.
Old April 15th, 2014, 14:51   #2
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

I would recommend Settlers of Catan, Al Hambra, and Killer Bunnies (KB is a card game but very fun). Ticket to Ride is also a fun game.

The biggest reason I recommend these games (besides K is that all three of them are strategy based, you are active on everyone's turn and the most important thing for families or non-gamers is that your pieces are never taken off the game board. Sure you can place your pieces better than the other player and so on but you never take the other person out of the game. This can be a very nice thing when teaching a young person how to game and unlike monopoly where somebody will be sitting around while the other two finish, the games I listed always have you playing.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 17:45   #3
Atra Culpa
Aggro Happy

SoF Members

I would recommend taking a look at this youtube channel for some great board game ideas and how to play them Wil Wheaton's Table Top

Most board game enthusiasts say that Ticket to Ride is one of the best entries to table top board games, and it looks really fun.

Something that 'd suggest is Pandemic. While it is a bit more complicated, it is a completely cooperative game where the 'enemy' is the board and it's mechanics, thus avoiding the post monopoly family war. It also has a few difficulty settings that you can set yourself, so it has more replayability even when you get better at it.

BIG AGGRO, BIG PRIZES!
Atra Culpa.5012

Atra Pardalis Theurgical Atra
Atra Culpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 16:03   #4
Crash Test
Grand Master

SoF Councillors

Hmmm. I should follow your lead there Greyhart. Both my kids have found their coop play in minecraft (which i've limited to the PS3), but good ole' family fun off the tube is a good idea.

I've always wanted to try Settlers of Catan. Had a neighbor that played it and they talked well about it. Am going to take a look at the others that were mentioned now also.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 19:31   #5
WetWookie
Needs a towel...

SoF Councillors

This is the favorite board game of our house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujgywX-z9c

WetWookie.1687
WetWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 20:54   #6
relt
truant

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetWookie View Post
This is the favorite board game of our house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujgywX-z9c
I've played that! I've got a few friends that are very into board games, I'll ask around for some more contenders.

GW: Relt Dragcar R/ GW2: relt.6189
relt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 23:28   #7
fitnessfun
Reef

Forum Members

Growing up my family would always play Settlers and Ticket to Ride. A game we've been playing as adults recently is Dominion. I am addicted! http://brandonhart100.hubpages.com/h...gy-Board-Games
fitnessfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 01:37   #8
Grey Mouser
Keeper of the [DOG] Pound

SoF Members

If you're a fan of the Discworld novel series, check out Ankh Moorpork. It's a blast!
Old June 14th, 2014, 05:40   #9
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

- Civilization
downside: it is looooong

- Macchiavelli (aka Citadels)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadels_%28card_game%29
a cardgame which is simple, never the same, strategic. and cheap.
A must have for any table gamer!

- Cuba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKSpMhpc1wA
recently played this for the first time with my tabletop game friends.
Strategic, and difficult the first time.
But this game is definitely one to try out.

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 00:46   #10
Gruff
Devotee Jade Sea

SoT Members

Talisman springs to mind, full of fantasy adventurer type stuff a young lad would enjoy, had quite a few games of that in my early years. They made a new edition a few years back, & worth adding expansions to it. Games Workshop did a range of the characters also if painting lead miniatures is something you may like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman_%28board_game%29

Carcassonne is another that looks easy to pick up, I did some BG research at Christmas and bought it for my sister in law. This softly spoken fella sets it out nicely: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carcassonne-New-Edition-Bo...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carcassonne-New-Edition-Bo...

Muppet Warfare [MvM]
Gruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 21:33   #11
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Talisman is a fun game and the expansions are a nice addition to it. I've played it many times. Carcassonne is a great game as well and is fairly easy to play. There are many versions of it as well.

Fitnessfun also mentioned Dominion and Ticket To Ride. I can also recommend both of these games (and already have with Ticket To Ride) as I have played them both. Dominion is a card based (loosely) game that is different each time you play it. There are currently 8 expansions for it thought I haven't played any of those as of yet. Ticket to Ride is also available on Steam and works just like the board game there.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote