Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Public > Chat
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old January 18th, 2014, 13:47   #1
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Elder Scrolls Online

Did any one try the beta of this?

To my big surprise I got an email saying I was in last weekend's beta. I honestly don't recall signing up for it, but I guess I must have done. So I did d/l the (very large) client and played it for a few hours last weekend when I had some spare time.

I didn't like it much. Awkward GUI (imo) and graphically not as good as GW2. For me, GW2>ESO in many areas.

Bear in mind I did have Skyrim on PS3 and - thought it looked stunning and I thought the game was great - I didn't play it that much. So maybe I'm not such an Elder Scrolls type of gamer.

PS Read this on EG this morning regarding old-skool D&D and thought of Bunter!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...school-d-and-d

Going somewhat off-topic but I played Talisman at (high)school which I enjoyed a lot. Not sure that is technically D&D?

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 00:49   #2
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

i've got a confession.
i've never played any of the elder scrolls.

I'm sure that is a sin somewhere in the bible of gaming.

maybe i'll fix that someday.

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 20:11   #3
bsoltan
/flex

SoF Councillors

I assume the Beta is embargoed? There aren't any videos on Youtube anyway.

I find it hard to imagine how it will work with many people. From this gameplay video at QuakeCon last year it just looks like Skyrim but you can team up with friends. Which is fantastic but is more like 'co-op' than 'mmo'.

Is it going to be a bit like GW2 (forgive me if this is wrong I haven't played in a long while!) where people are hang around for a world event to reset?

Hopefully it will still have customisable houses for each player.. but I doubt it.
bsoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 19:58   #4
relt
truant

SoF Members

This forum doesn't like me sometimes--it appears my post never made it through.

I can tell you I've been invited to the last two beta events. Regarding anything else I might add...this should probably be moved to a more private forum first.

GW: Relt Dragcar R/ GW2: relt.6189
relt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 00:31   #5
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Yup it's under NDA which is why I didn't want to say too much. The Reddit thread (moderated) has quite a bit of info including details that seem to be 'permissible' to share (general experiences, rather than anything specific).

I have taken lots of big breaks from GW2 and the 'no monthly fee' model works very well for me. I couldn't see me going back to a game with a monthly fee even if I had liked ESO.

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old January 21st, 2014, 23:32   #6
relt
truant

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I have taken lots of big breaks from GW2 and the 'no monthly fee' model works very well for me. I couldn't see me going back to a game with a monthly fee even if I had liked ESO.
I fell exactly the same way. If ESO ends up filling the void Warhammer (RIP) left in my gaming life, I may give it a shot though. This is one niche they are attempting to fill, so we'll see how they do.

ESO is basically Skyrim as an MMO. Nearly everything is a mashup of the traditional MMORPG model with the traditional elder scrolls model. So there are more linear skill trees with activated abilities and whatnot, like an mmo, but there are a lot more skill trees to choose from, like you'd find in ES. Classes are more class-like than elder scrolls but less clear cut than a traditional mmo.

GW: Relt Dragcar R/ GW2: relt.6189

Last edited by relt; January 21st, 2014 at 23:36.
relt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:35   #7
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

I agreed with some of the feedback on Reddit where people said there wasn't much 'feedback' in combat. That said, I like the idea of deeper skill trees, more unique abilities that give you more individuality (lacking in GW2 by the very nature of how they've done it).

Playing through Twisted Marionette in the new GW2 living story - I cannot fail to be impressed with just how good GW's GFX and artistic direction are. The bit when the marionettes are attacking, for example (think Rise of The Machines!) is very impressive graphically. For me - this was lacking with ESO (and I had GFX on high). However, I remember the PS3 version was jaw-dropping.

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old January 24th, 2014, 19:47   #8
Atra Culpa
Aggro Happy

SoF Members

I wasn't impressed by ESO. I was part of a weekend stress test beta and I played maybe two hours tops. It didn't grip me at all. Sound quality was uninspired. GFX were poor at best, combat had little to no actual feedback and felt sluggish and rigid. It felt like poor man's SW:ToR with a first person mode and less interesting story.
I've logged a good 100 or so hours in Skyrim, with Mods giving the game far more value and playability, but I can't see ESO doing the same thing for me, especially when they want box price + sub fee and will likely have micro transactions.

BIG AGGRO, BIG PRIZES!
Atra Culpa.5012

Atra Pardalis Theurgical Atra
Atra Culpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 23:46   #9
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atra Culpa View Post
I wasn't impressed by ESO. I was part of a weekend stress test beta and I played maybe two hours tops. It didn't grip me at all. Sound quality was uninspired. GFX were poor at best, combat had little to no actual feedback and felt sluggish and rigid. It felt like poor man's SW:ToR with a first person mode and less interesting story.
I've logged a good 100 or so hours in Skyrim, with Mods giving the game far more value and playability, but I can't see ESO doing the same thing for me, especially when they want box price + sub fee and will likely have micro transactions.
Would agree with all of that.

I played WoW/GW1/GW2 in beta and enjoyed them all and saw how they could be great games. I did NOT come away from ESO thinking anything close to that. It didn't hold my attention. There is an X factor needed for really good MMOs that will hold people and be successful and ESO did not have it from what I saw.

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:39   #10
bsoltan
/flex

SoF Councillors

It seems like absolute madness that they're charging box price + a subscription ($15!).

I like the idea that I could play Skyrim with a friend, and could even see myself getting this on a console rather than PC, but I'm not into it enough for that.

I wonder if the modding will be as plentiful as other Bethesda games? They can't have changed the system/engine much could they?

e:
http://www.tesoelite.com/2013/08/eso...ria-aliprando/
Quote:
the UI is fully moddable for Lua scripting so we can certainly support anything in that sense and we already have add-ons as a feature for PC and Mac versions.

through LUA scripting you could figure out a way to do damage meters. We don’t show any numbers to you. We don’t want you to be worrying about numbers when you’re fighting we want you to be reacting to what’s happening in the world and we think that when numbers are up on the screen you’re reacting to numbers and how can I get my damage higher, oh did I blocked and things like that instead of thinking how do I tactfully respond to the situation is so we will not be supporting numbers in any way shape or form on screen. But through clever LUA scripting you can you could probably make it happen.
So a little UI 'modding'.

Last edited by bsoltan; January 26th, 2014 at 10:50.
bsoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 13:42   #11
Atra Culpa
Aggro Happy

SoF Members

Box price + Sub fee + cash shop confirmed. Anyone smell an ice berg? http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...e/#more-187195

BIG AGGRO, BIG PRIZES!
Atra Culpa.5012

Old February 5th, 2014, 10:15   #12
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Seems they have sent me second beta key for this weekend's beta event. If any one wants it let me know.

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:26   #13
Valeon
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

Send a message via Skype™ to Valeon
Was very interested when they announced this game.
But after seeing ingame stuff and hearing storys about it not so much. (not just here)

Though I might want to try it out some day, to see how it is myself.
Just for that, as i have no interest whatsoever in buying and playing a SubFee game.!

So unless its a extra extra spare key, better off going to some one that is first.

Valda Shepard ~ Valerie Voltaire ~ Valaer Warslash ~ Valhael Westen ~ Valiia ~ Valiique
Vala Warforge ~ Valisse Vangelis ~ Valeriana Veracini ~ Val Tekk Su Port ~ Valara Croft ~ Valereon Valente
Valensia Devienne ~ Valeth Soulreaver ~ Valette Aetherdust ~ Valice Nightsparrow ~ Valeon Averam ~ Vallonea Ventures
Valeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 13:53   #14
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeon View Post
Was very interested when they announced this game.
But after seeing ingame stuff and hearing storys about it not so much. (not just here)

Though I might want to try it out some day, to see how it is myself.
Just for that, as i have no interest whatsoever in buying and playing a SubFee game.!

So unless its a extra extra spare key, better off going to some one that is first.
You have mail.

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old February 7th, 2014, 22:13   #15
Atra Culpa
Aggro Happy

SoF Members

First few hours hands on RPS press impressions.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...crolls-online/

TL;DR = *unimpressed*

BIG AGGRO, BIG PRIZES!
Atra Culpa.5012

Tags
d&d, elder scrolls, eso