Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old September 10th, 2013, 14:03   #1
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

shortbow

discussion on thief shortbow.

Ok so I never really find what I want in guides to professions. They are either too detailed (with math to make the eyes glaze over) or too general.

My plan is to review the weapon and what works with it. Now I have no time to go through these in detail so I want people to make suggestions and say what they like. It doesn’t have to be the most effective, just what is fun and works or doesn’t.

As you will see this clearly needs improving and completing and therefore suggestions, corrections and rewrites will be helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortbow general:

this is ranged weapon to be used against multiple enemies. ranged AoE. Can be good at spreading conditions through combo fields.

1. Trickshot: Bounce an arrow between multiple nearby foes up to 3.

Pros: hits multiple enemies. Works well against a crowd. Works well with anything that applies conditions on attacks as it spreads the condition over more than one enemy.
Cons: will agro neutral creatures that can be a problem.

Damage: moderate
Rate of attack: fast.

1. (stealth) Surprise Shot: Shoot an arrow that immobilizes your foe for 2 seconds.

pros: hits slightly harder than trickshot and immobilizes.
cons: has to be stealthed, and the attack will cancel stealth.

damage: Low
Rate of fire: slow.

2.Cluster Bomb: Fire a cluster bomb at target area. Detonate in midair for multiple explosions and causes bleeding.

2a. Detonate Cluster: Detonate your cluster bomb in midair.

pros: If done right can do good amount of damage. good against multiple enemies
cons: hard to detonate cluster at close range making it less effective.

damage: moderate.
rate of attack: moderate

3. Disabling Shot: Do an evasive leap away from your foe while firing a crippling shot.

Pros: slows enemies and a creates space whilst avoiding attacks.
Cons: poor damage need to have someone to retreat (hopefully not into more enemies)

Damage: low
Rate of attack: fast.

4.Choking Gas: Fire an arrow that fills the target area with apoisonous cloud.

Pros: combo field. Good against groups. Doesn’t remove stealth.
Cons: no direct damage only from condition.

Damage: condition only.
rate of attack: moderate.

5. Infiltrator's Arrow: Fire an arrow and shadowstep to the target area, blinding nearby foes.

Pros: closes distance, or escape.
Cons: if used to close distance should change weapon as shortbow is less effective at close range. no direct damage.

damage: condition only.
rate of attack: fast.

Traits that work with shortbow:

Suggestions?

Shadow Arts: Trait VII Power Shots Shortbow and harpoon gun damage is increased by 5%.

Utility skills that work with shortbow:

suggestions?

Tactics:

suggestions?

Last edited by Greyhart; September 13th, 2013 at 09:19.
Greyhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 15:12   #2
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

Very accurate so far, except for the your analysis of the 1 skill. In full berserker my auto attack with it does 2.5k on crits [which is nearly every hit] spread over 3 targets, so 7.5k on average. The bounce also has very good range on it so even if things are spread out you can still hit them. That also is it's biggest weakness though, it's very easy to aggro non-combatants or pull other enemies accidentally.

I trait for dual daggers with a stealth/backstab [5/1] rotation and with everything set up for maximizing my power and my crit effectiveness the shortbow becomes one of the most lethal AoE I've seen. 7.5k on the auto attack, almost 9k crits on the cluster radius if not detonated, or 2k~ crits on each of the mini-bombs. If detonated correctly over a mob you can tag entire groups for exceptional damage. It's been instrumental in my success farming the invasions.
Old September 10th, 2013, 18:08   #3
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLeifsen View Post
Very accurate so far, except for the your analysis of the 1 skill. In full berserker my auto attack with it does 2.5k on crits [which is nearly every hit] spread over 3 targets, so 7.5k on average. The bounce also has very good range on it so even if things are spread out you can still hit them. That also is it's biggest weakness though, it's very easy to aggro non-combatants or pull other enemies accidentally.

I trait for dual daggers with a stealth/backstab [5/1] rotation and with everything set up for maximizing my power and my crit effectiveness the shortbow becomes one of the most lethal AoE I've seen. 7.5k on the auto attack, almost 9k crits on the cluster radius if not detonated, or 2k~ crits on each of the mini-bombs. If detonated correctly over a mob you can tag entire groups for exceptional damage. It's been instrumental in my success farming the invasions.
Interesting. To be honest my thief is at level 50 and I am taking the figures from the wiki and guessing.

You'd suggest it is moderate damage then I take it?
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:15   #4
Amy
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I'm a support character at heart, so I love the clusterbomb blast finisher. If I see combo field pop up, I almost always toss a few bombs in (especially a fire or water field).
Might! Might! Splash! Splash!

"It's the circle of alts, and it re-rolls us all." ~Thundar of SoR
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:41   #5
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

It really depends on what you're using for a weapon swap. I use d/d and sb for my thief as the sb is the only decent source of AoE that a thief can easily access.

As Amy mentioned the blast finisher is great for those WvW stacks where the commander calls for lightning (ie Static) fields. You can usually get off three cluster bombs during the duration and can stack quite a bit of group swiftness. Fire is area might and water area heals. This is without concentrating any abilities on the short bow.

The damage isn't as bad as you might think as you can spread it out between targets though a single target it does suffer a bit. In a 2 target such as a veteran and a normal mob, target the vet and bounce the shot from vet/normal/vet and your damage adds up quite quickly while still giving you the evade on skill 3 and the 'port on skill 5.

The poison shot (skill 4) is a combo field that when you cluster bomb into it gives area weakness along with the reduced healing and dot.

Short bow is also the only way to reliably hit enemies on top of or below walls in WvW as the pistols get obstructed more often.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 16:19   #6
bobrath
Squire Kaineng

SoF Members

I wonder what the dynamic is that makes pistol projectiles get obstructed more... interesting
Old September 12th, 2013, 00:48   #7
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Short bow gets obstructed as well but skills 2 and 4 are aoe circles and can be laid on the walls so they don't get obstructed. All pistols are direct line of fire and tend to get the obstructed from the edge of the wall like the other attacks on the short bow sometimes do.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 09:23   #8
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

I've amended the 1st post slightly.

Interesting to see what people say about the shortbow. I find the AoE nice but that in PvE it lacks focus.

What do people think of its use in each form of the game?
Old September 13th, 2013, 18:44   #9
relt
truant

SoF Members

If you are solo, shortbow has two uses: move faster and overpulls. Move faster=skill 5, infiltrator's shot or some such. If you overpull, start kiting, use evasive shot if they get too close and hit them with cluster bomb as initiative allows (leaving enough for evasive shot).

In a smaller group setting, only pull it out for big groups where you can't accidentally aggro too much from the bounce shot. Here you'll use poison field more, as there may not be another source, and don't forget to cluster bomb it for weakness on top.

In big groups, just drop cluster bombs wherever fields are for the combos.

GW: Relt Dragcar R/ GW2: relt.6189
relt is offline   Reply With Quote