Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > GW2 Talk
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old August 12th, 2013, 00:30   #1
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Question Liadri the Concealing Darkness

Liadri (the final tier 3 boss of the Queen's Gauntlet) is, I think, the hardest thing in the entire game right now and probably the hardest thing I have attempted in-game since launch.

I'm at 50+ something attempts.

My biggest bugbear is that my most twinked toon is my mesmer and the one I'm probably the most familiar with atm. BUT - the camera angle issues on large toons in the cage are HORRIBLE, so I've given up using the mesmer. Instead, I'm using my asura guardian (who only hit 80 a few days ago). This meant he is totally under-geared so I have shelled out to gear him in all exotics and one ascended amulet.

I can get to phase 2 of Liadri about half the time. I wouldn't say I've ever got particularly 'close' to killing her. The final part of phase 2 is a nightmare.

Guardian build I am using is this one.

A fairly detailed, general guide to Liadri mechanics has been written up by this guy, here. Not a bad read.

Who else (other than Nightsorrow) has achieved it? Any other tips? Esp on Gdn? For food I'm using the Orrian Truffle & Meat Stew which gives endurance boost helping create more dodge rolls.

I did try my asura necro but for some reason was having major health issues and was unable to heal fast enough. On my mes, I had no health issues - but the camera angles were horrific.

I agree with SOME of the ranting in this post on the official forums (re: camera angles, cost of repair, waypoint, lag in that area, etc). Though I think the difficulty level is fair enough and I'm not calling for that to be nerfed (there is a petition gong on the official forums where they are calling for a nerf).

And Tmak, I thought of you on this post which was about those with colour-blindness and thus the impossibility of doing Liadri.

I am consious others are stuck in other parts of the gauntlet, notably fire asura, suriel and also masticus. I did struggle with some of those and had to do quite a few times, but Liadri is just... a whole different ball game I've found!!!

Dulfy's guide here:

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3

Last edited by Oracle; August 12th, 2013 at 00:35.
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:30   #2
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to Nightsorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Who else (other than Nightsorrow) has achieved it?
This makes me feel bad

I'd agree that Liadri is one of the hardest, if not the hardest thing to be put into the game so far. There's no advice I can give that isn't already covered in the links you posted, heck I even learnt quite a lot from those since I've been struggling to get the 8 orbs achievement done on her. I would highly recommend you pick an arena that other people are fighting in though - even if it means waiting for your next turn in the fight, having someone to res you rather than waypointing and running makes the whole experience less frustrating.

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat...
Nightsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 13:21   #3
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsorrow View Post
This makes me feel bad

I'd agree that Liadri is one of the hardest, if not the hardest thing to be put into the game so far. There's no advice I can give that isn't already covered in the links you posted, heck I even learnt quite a lot from those since I've been struggling to get the 8 orbs achievement done on her. I would highly recommend you pick an arena that other people are fighting in though - even if it means waiting for your next turn in the fight, having someone to res you rather than waypointing and running makes the whole experience less frustrating.
Don't feel bad! I'm glad you did it (and everyone else who has). It's a serious achievement.

Been looking at more videos. This charr (!!) necro (!!) did it without dodging (!!)!

a) I couldn't do it on charr, b) I couldn't do it on necro and c) I can't imagine doing it WITHOUT dodging!

Will be trying again tonight.

And yeh, I've ended up meeting quite a lot of new people through it who are also doing Liadri rotations and we're in the same boat. It's brought out quite a lot of solidarity!

Personally I have enjoyed the gauntlet. I know some others have rage-quit (it seems from the forums) and others have given up after a few goes and said they won't persevere. But I think it's good (and requires a lot more skill than endless farming at ground level or doing the balloon/champ events).

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old August 14th, 2013, 17:23   #4
Arya Nibelrund
Hai! Where aer Mudkips???

SoF Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Arya Nibelrund
I did as a mesmer as it's the only toon I have.
Camera angle is an issue for me as well (Norn), guess you have to live with it, I just zoom out all the way and try not to be in the edge but at about 3/4 outside.
Full zerk gear and ascended/exotics, mango pie is the only consumable i use, helps but guess you can do without.
Weapon: sword+focus/greatsword, traits 20/20/0/30/0, trait focus to reflect, and feedback for quick recharge/longer duration, it's the build i use all the time in pve.
Utilities: ether feast, blink, mantra of resolve and ofc feedback. Elite not used but take twarp.
Run around in p1 with sword+focus, chain warden+feedback on her to preserve your hp as high as possible, pull visions on the whirpool with curtain to speed up p1; it's important for p1 to memorize the pattern of mobs and whirpools, don't waste any orb and lure visions as quick as you can; ideally, 5 seconds after 3rd whirpool appears you have to be done with p1 with good hp. It's important you go past p1 70-80% of times, 50% is not good enough.
When u get in p2, wait for Liadri to jump on u with her whirlwind attack, sword #2 to evade her attack then start running in circle close to the edge; you must cast a warden on her when she jumps to you for the 2nd time and starts her whirlwind. This does a massive dmg to her and it's a must if you wanna have a good chance to finish her, with some practice you'll feel when she's jumping and starting the whirlwind. After that, switch to gs and keep dps on her with skills 1,2 and 4. Reswap to sword for another warden after its cooldown so you have also an extra invul with sword #2 to help, she should be almost dead by now, reswap to gs and finish her. Keep using mor to get rid of cripple, blink when you're out of dodges, buy 100 tokens and that's it
Feel free to PM ingame if u need more advices or wanna know other things, I'll try to help as much as I can.

Arya Nibelrund W/x | Arya Plays Teh Monk Mo/x PvP | Stella Lorelai Mo/x | Aurora Manstein R/x | Summer Eldalie Me/x

Last edited by Arya Nibelrund; August 14th, 2013 at 17:33.
Arya Nibelrund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 12:24   #5
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

One interesting point I saw in a video this morning (from Nemesis, can find a link to his youtube channel in the class threads, I linked some of his Necromancer guides) - the clones that walk towards you then 1-shot you can actually be Blinded so that their "shatter" misses - the clone still dies but you survive the 1-shot. Feels like quite the gamechanger for me going for the 8 orb achievement, maybe Necromancer will be the class for it after all...

Old August 15th, 2013, 16:34   #6
Attila
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

Courage, skill, and persistance. Most admirable guys and very cool. Might I have a bit of that stuff?
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 20:36   #7
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Nibelrund View Post
I did as a mesmer as it's the only toon I have.
Camera angle is an issue for me as well (Norn), guess you have to live with it, I just zoom out all the way and try not to be in the edge but at about 3/4 outside.
Full zerk gear and ascended/exotics, mango pie is the only consumable i use, helps but guess you can do without.
Weapon: sword+focus/greatsword, traits 20/20/0/30/0, trait focus to reflect, and feedback for quick recharge/longer duration, it's the build i use all the time in pve.
Utilities: ether feast, blink, mantra of resolve and ofc feedback. Elite not used but take twarp.
Run around in p1 with sword+focus, chain warden+feedback on her to preserve your hp as high as possible, pull visions on the whirpool with curtain to speed up p1; it's important for p1 to memorize the pattern of mobs and whirpools, don't waste any orb and lure visions as quick as you can; ideally, 5 seconds after 3rd whirpool appears you have to be done with p1 with good hp. It's important you go past p1 70-80% of times, 50% is not good enough.
When u get in p2, wait for Liadri to jump on u with her whirlwind attack, sword #2 to evade her attack then start running in circle close to the edge; you must cast a warden on her when she jumps to you for the 2nd time and starts her whirlwind. This does a massive dmg to her and it's a must if you wanna have a good chance to finish her, with some practice you'll feel when she's jumping and starting the whirlwind. After that, switch to gs and keep dps on her with skills 1,2 and 4. Reswap to sword for another warden after its cooldown so you have also an extra invul with sword #2 to help, she should be almost dead by now, reswap to gs and finish her. Keep using mor to get rid of cripple, blink when you're out of dodges, buy 100 tokens and that's it
Feel free to PM ingame if u need more advices or wanna know other things, I'll try to help as much as I can.
Thank you Arya these sound like good tips. Annoyingly I haven't been in-game the past few days as have been v.busy with my freelancing work (client deadline end of month meaning I will continue to be manic between now and then) added to which my French restarts on Monday! Really annoying as I want to be ingame and trying again, plus I am away this weekend. At this rate this patch will have finished before I can do it...

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old September 1st, 2013, 00:58   #8
Ivan
"2gud"

SoF Members

Did as Necro 2 days ago, around 30 tries with a random spec, 10 tries after proper speccing.

Phase 1 becomes a joke after practice and learning the pattern, entering phase 2 with 80%+ hp is a sure victory for me. Went Locust Signet, Dark Path, and Signet of Spite. As soon as phase 2 hit, I just went Dark Path -> Lich Form and kited around the edges without even looking at her. Repeat and she died in no time

8 Lights is doable, not really impossible. But I don't think I care THAT much

Its a trick! Get an Axe.

safo.2954
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 02:46   #9
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Did the 8 orbs achievement twice tonight, Atra witnessing the first time, Bunter the second time, game didn't give me the achievement. I am sad

Old September 1st, 2013, 02:53   #10
relt
truant

SoF Members

That sucks.

Side note: I hit "New Posts", looked at the latest post and the way things lined up and because my eyes are dry and begging for some drops, I saw the time posted as "tomorrow"...TOday+nightsORROW=tomorrow.

GW: Relt Dragcar R/ GW2: relt.6189
relt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:14   #11
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by relt View Post
TOday+nightsORROW=tomorrow.
Darn, my secret is discovered, I am tomorrowsorrow, winter is coming

Old September 1st, 2013, 17:57   #12
Ivan
"2gud"

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by relt View Post
That sucks.

Side note: I hit "New Posts", looked at the latest post and the way things lined up and because my eyes are dry and begging for some drops, I saw the time posted as "tomorrow"...TOday+nightsORROW=tomorrow.

hmm first Crash now you...

I'm on to you web hoster

Its a trick! Get an Axe.

safo.2954
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 14:11   #13
Robus
no alarms n no surprises

Retired Victrix Members

Send a message via AIM to Robus Send a message via MSN to Robus Send a message via Skype™ to Robus
I did it on my warrior the other day, my gear was pretty shocking (basically full magic find and a 1g exotic gun I found on the AH with random stats) for it as was my spec which I put minimal effort in to changing for the fight, I wiped just under 80 times.

It is really about learning the pattern, I slept on it after failing a whole night with very little sleep due to night shifts being fun then manage in about 6 attempts after waking up. On Phase 2, I see Arya said stick close to the edge, I wouldn't advise this, you want to stay close to the inside due to aoe effect, it gives you the shortest possible travel times as you kite her. The cripple can be a bit of a nuisance in Phase 2, running some form of movement speed or swiftness helps a lot. On my warrior I noticed phase 2 was causing me issues when my Signet of Rage was down, adding an extra condition removal if the cripple stacked too high helped with this.

One awesome thing about Guardian on the fight is the ability to kill the orbs from range with getting "Obstructed"

yesitsrob.8054
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:36   #14
Jinx
Mesmers :]

SoF Members

It's too late for tips now I think but between Feedback, Phantasmal Warden, and Mirror as your heal I was able to get to p2 pretty healthy. Sometimes... :/ You can also use focus 4 for speed buffs and the active to pull in the clones to save time/get them off you. I took the blinding signet to use when transitioning to p2.

You can also pick up the talent for Vigor on shatters when in need of a crutch, in addition to iBerserker to cripple her and as most of your damage since you'll likely be running around like a headless chicken. Use distortion and blink to dodge her dark drop.

As a mesmer I found it much better to stay at the edges since it also increases the distance it takes her to reach me . (she's crippled by berserker and whatever GS autoattacks I got in scale the with range)

It took me something like 50 tries, but once I used the food and Speed Booster buff I got it in about 4 or 5.

In general, this fight reminded me how fragile I am and how badly i wanted some way to heal MORE.

Last edited by Jinx; September 3rd, 2013 at 07:40.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 16:58   #15
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Another Liadri guide here. This guy seems to do it VERY easily on his warrior - and on thief using a trait/wpn setup that doesn't require you to throw the crystals, but just to kite while using duel pistols. Shame mine isn't at lvl 80 yet... may still have a go.

https://www.youtube.com/v/VUTZFgGIVpg

PS How do you embed video again?

'A' is for ASURA <3

Last edited by Oracle; May 26th, 2014 at 17:23.