Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you like the new changes to melee classes and why?
Awesome, let me bash some more! 7 36.84%
Good, but it definitely needs a few changes. 10 52.63%
Horrible, whose idea was this? *Creates caster ... 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 7th, 2012, 15:49   #31
Navis
Human Being

SoF Emeritus

General PvE Damage & Utility (aka Furious Triple V&VII build)

Rifle & Hammer
Berserker's Equipment - Ruby Jewelry & Upgrades - Sigil of Force
(Rampager’s/Coral could work better, I have to test it)

Heal: Healing Surge
Utility 1: “For Great Justice!”
Utility 2: “On My Mark!”
Utility 3: “Shake It Off!”
Elite: Rage Signet

20 Strength (+200 Power, +20% Condition Duration)
V Berserker's Power
VII Distracting Strikes

30 Arms (+300 Precision, + 300 Condition Damage)
V Rending Strikes
VII Crack Shot
XI Furious

20 Discipline (+20% Critical Damage, +2% Burst Damage)
V Heightened Focus
VII Sweet Revenge

Overview

This build mainly focuses on high single target damage with the Rifle but also provides some AoE damage and crowd control with the Hammer. The usage of Vulnerability and Shouts synergizes well with any team. I don’t recommend this build for a dungeon if you are the only heavy in the team. However it works well for solo PvE pretty much everywhere. I only had difficulty with a few areas in Malchor’s Leap and Cursed Shore.

Usage

Start fights with your Rifle, using Brutal Shot (skill 4) to immediately apply 5 stacks of Vulnerability and increase your team’s damage on the target, follow-up with Aimed Shot (skill 2) to Cripple it and reduce its mobility. Use Volley (skill 3) and then spam Bleeding Shot (skill 1, applies Bleeding) for maximum damage. Criticals can even add more Vulnerability stacks through Rending Strikes. If the target gets too close use Rifle Butt (skill 5) to push it back. Rifle Butt also works to push back off-target enemies that would close in on you quickly (because, unlike your target, they are not crippled) without having to actually target them (the push back is an AoE effect in front of you). Try to time it so that it interrupts enemies to apply Confusion stacks with Distracting Strikes. You can move while using any of the Rifle skills (1 to 5) so use this to your advantage to kite or position better, notably to get the most out of the Crack Shot trait that makes you Rifle shots pierce. Also shoot through fields whenever possible as your bullets will trigger Combo Finisher: Projectile with all your ranged skills (20% chance for 1 and 3, 100% for 2 and 4).

You can cycle pretty quickly through your Rifle skills with the 20% faster recharge from Crack Shot. However to take advantage of your minor Discipline traits Versatile Rage (adrenaline on weapon switch) and Fast Hands (faster switch recharge) it is usually better to switch weapons as often as possible.

I like to open with Backbreaker (skill 5) on Hammer, you can move while using it (like skill 1 and 2 but not 3 and 4 that will cancel and go on short recharge if you move while they activate) and close the gap with your target during the ‘cast time’. It also helps making sure you won’t miss a moving target. Try to interrupt foes with the knock-down effect to generate Confusion with Distracting Strikes. While they get up, use Fierce Blow (skill 2) to apply Weakness and then Hammer Shock (skill 3) for AoE Cripple that will prevent any kiting. Use Staggering Blow (skill 4) if necessary to interrupt and put more Confusion stacks on enemies, push them back and trigger Combo Finisher: Whirl. Spam the Hammer Swing > Hammer Bash > Hammer Smash chain the rest of the time. Try to finish the chain whenever you start it as the Smash provides a lot more damage and bigger AoE.

Burst skills can be used quite often since you generate adrenaline quickly with Furious (additional adrenaline strike on critical), Versatile Rage (adrenaline on weapon switch) powered by Fast Hands (faster switch recharge), and Healing Surge. However in some situations it is better to keep your gauge full to optimize the effects of Berserker's Power (increased damage based on how much adrenaline you have built) and Heightened Focus (increased critical chance based on how much adrenaline you have built), and also to get a more powerful Healing Surge. Assess the situation before using Kill Shot (Rifle burst skill) because it will make you stationary for 2 seconds (are there interrupts flying around from enemies or environment effects? Is there a chance you have to dodge AoE in the next few seconds?). Sure, it is more than 10k damage in a single shot but your DPS will be higher if you keep spamming critical hits while moving than if you ‘charge’ the skill and end up being interrupted or having to roll out of AoE. Earthshaker (Hammer burst skill) is more of a no-brainer. Even when it is not fully charged, you will still get an AoE stun that can interrupt and Confuse multiple foes, as well as trigger Combo Finisher: Blast in fields. AoE chaos armor from Mesmers Ethereal fields, AoE blind from Necromancers Dark fields and AoE healing from Elementalists and Rangers Water fields are especially strong. Look out for those!

We’ve already discussed Healing Surge: use it at full potential when adrenaline is charged in difficult fights, or to fill up your adrenaline bar when you don’t need much healing. The first two utility skills (“For Great Justice!” and “On My Mark!”) and the elite (Signet of Rage) can pretty much be used on recharge. Just try not to waste too many Vulnerability stacks with “On My Mark!” if your target is already close to 25 (it adds 10). Signet of Rage can be kept inactive to passively generate adrenaline until you need the swiftness for kiting. “Shake It Off!” is used for AoE condition removal. Only use it when facing “dangerous” conditions like long poison or burning, or to “break stun” (fear can be countered this way). Sweet Revenge lets you use Vengeance to spike down a target and rally 100% of the time. It can get you out of sticky situations in solo PvE (much less useful in Dungeons imho).

GW1: [Mo] Navis Atsukau | [A] Navis Swift | [Rt] Navis Seishin | [W] Sivan Star|[R] Anakha Akbar | [E] Guilwin Gray | [N] Moneva Myganne | [Me] Minala Mekhar | [P] Ilana Sloda | [D] Yaros Sloda
GW2: [W] Navis Swift | [En] Sivan Sokka | [G] Sivan Star | [Me] Navis Ciaran | Navis.1486

Last edited by Navis; November 7th, 2012 at 19:31.
Navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:44   #32
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Really interesting build Navis. Branching into Confusion via Distracting Strikes in a build already specced for Condition Damage is pretty slick. Based on the idea I've created an additional wvw/pvp variation of my Bleeding Berserker:

Carrion Gear (ideally)
Sword/Shield & Mace/Sword

20 Strength (Great Fortitude, Distracting Strikes)
30 Arms (Deep Cuts, Blademaster, Last Chance)
20 Defense (Missile Reflection, Shield Master)

Healing Surge
Frenzy
Bulls Charge
Fury Signet
Rage Signet

The Mace/Sword set is one tough hombre, with two interrupts, two parrys, and a load of conditions. Best against aggressive Thieves, 100-Frenzy Wars, and Dagger Eles unaware of what type of shitstorm they are walking into. Don't worry about landing a Pulverize, focus on interrupting and blocking their stuff. Switch to Sword/Shield your skills are used or they start to run. Save your Frenzy/Flurry for after a successful Shield Bash or Bulls Charge (or Skull Crack-->Fury Signet!). Its the same idea as the 100-Frenzy combo. The build's most difficult opponent is probably a kiting Ranger. You have some appropriate tools out of the Sword/Shield set, but Mace/Sword won't be as useful.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:22   #33
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Bunter and I were discussing Warrior builds this morning, just to jot some things down, here is what I've been toying around with in build editors:

Berserker Greatsword of Bloodlust
Knight Mace of Pulverization & Knight Shield of Pulverization
P/T/V Armor, 6x Rune of the Centaur
Knight Accessories w/ Exquisite Ruby Jewels

20 Strength (Berserker Power, Slashing Power)
25 Arms (Rending Strikes, Forceful Greatsword)
10 Defense (Turtle Defense)
15 Discipline (Warrior Sprint)

Mending
Frenzy
Bulls Charge
Balanced Stance
Rage Signet

--------------------------------------

Rune of the Centaur + Rage Signet + Mending + Warrior Sprint = permanent 143% move speed. Stun people with Skull Crack / Shield Bash / Bulls Charge. Eat them with Frenzy+100B.

Massive credit to Scarto for introducing me to the Centaur runes a few weeks ago.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 23:55   #34
Cloud
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

deleted

Last edited by Cloud; February 5th, 2013 at 01:00.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 00:56   #35
Cloud
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
My Warrior. I also switch to axe/mace when I need to for 4 on mace offhand. Berserker and Fury are also interchangeable. Critiques are welcome and encouraged.

Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 13:37   #36
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Just to revive this, because I've been bored at work and being messing around with a skill builder app thingy.

I was thinking on where to go with my warior in PvE. I was thinking of focussing on bleed and therefore dual sword and rifle.

Arms 30 (Deep cut,blademaster, last chance)
Tactics 30 (empowered, lung capacity, vigorous shouts).
Discipline 10 (hightened focus).

Healing signet
signet of might
"for great justice"
"shake it off"
Signet of rage.

the obvious idea being bashing out all the boons and applying as much bleedings as possible.

This is really just messing about but interested in thoughts on this theme.

Also what would be people's thoughts on a thread about the most popular healing skill per class?
Old May 9th, 2013, 17:46   #37
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

The dual sword build pales in comparison to any other weapon set a warrior can use. For straight PvE (ie no dungeons/fractals/champions) it will work but will take a long time to kill stuff. A greatsword or Axe/Axe would be better for damage. I used sword/sword on my second warrior to level him up and really found it to be subpar when compared to greatsword or axe/axe.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 19:35   #38
bobrath
Squire Kaineng

SoF Members

What was it that made sword/sword pale? Was it just the relative slow nature of bleeds versus the bigger hits of other weapons?
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:59   #39
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Perhaps it's just my perception but I find sword faster due to bleed. Currently running sword and Mace.

Like hammer but find it slow.

Not looked at the actual numbers on this so I am likely wrong
Old May 10th, 2013, 13:40   #40
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to Nightsorrow
I do not understand why Warriors were given a Bleed focus on their Sword skills. I love the idea of Sword/Sword on any character in any fantasy setting really, but in GW2 Warrior I just really don't like the skills on either main hand or off hand sword.

Generally speaking, Bleed builds are based on attrition and out-lasting your opponent. To do this, you really "need" to couple you bleeds with snares (cripple on necro scepter, cripple traps from shortbow rangers, glue shot/frost grenade on Engineer, natural evasion from d/d Thief blossoms) - sure there's a cripple on mainhand sword and a block on offhand sword, but for me it's just not enough to be able to survive in melee with a harder hitting mob for long enough to warrant speccing that way as a warrior.

There's also the horribly broken way that Bleed stacks cap out in group content - I have basically re-rolled my main character away from Necromancer because of this.

You also have to factor in burst speed in group events - "tagging" mobs is much harder with conditions since they rarely get time to tick enough times to grant you credit for the kill, and this is compounded by Warrior being in melee unless the targets are clumped up for you to cleave.

I won't go into too much detail on this last point since I don't want to come accross as overly elitist... but the biggest thing is why you wouldn't want to go burst on a Warrior when they are basically the highest burst damage class out there. Greatsword & Axe/Mace is a complete powerhouse with Hundred Blades->Whirlwind->Mace Knockdown->Axe Autoattacks, I miss the damage numbers whenever I'm on any other character. There are also some pretty fun control ideas out there with Hammer & Mace/Shield if up front destruction isn't your style.

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat...
Nightsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 19:43   #41
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsorrow View Post
Greatsword & Axe/Mace
This is also what I run, unless I substitute the Mace for a Warhorn. For damage/CC go Mace, for speed/group utility, go Warhorn.

GW1: Vai Demine | GW2 Account: vaidemine.7285
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 00:04   #42
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

Just a quick post on the most up-to-date build being run by Strife. Good video with explanations.

GW1: Vai Demine | GW2 Account: vaidemine.7285
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:40   #43
Ayano Mitsu
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Hahaha Eugene strikes again with another very informative video

Press 2 to win!

Ayano Mitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:51   #44
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to Nightsorrow
Bah! Damn Youtube being blocked on my work network ... and not having any headphones so I'd have to share the video with the office. Will have to watch when I get home.

... do Warriors get a Bear now as well?

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat...
Nightsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 13:08   #45
Ayano Mitsu
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Shouldn't the question really be: do bears get a warrior now as well?

Ayano Mitsu is offline   Reply With Quote