Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you like the new changes to melee classes and why?
Awesome, let me bash some more! 7 36.84%
Good, but it definitely needs a few changes. 10 52.63%
Horrible, whose idea was this? *Creates caster ... 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:18   #16
Robus
no alarms n no surprises

Retired Victrix Members

Send a message via AIM to Robus Send a message via MSN to Robus Send a message via Skype™ to Robus
Been playing my warrior quite a lot in PVP

Greatsword and Axe/Shield has been my favorite combo so far. WIth a knock down (Bull's Strike) or an immobolize (Bola Throw) you can do quite a strong amount of burst using Hundred Blades - Weapon Swap - Shield Bash - Eviscerate. Sadly axes seems pretty trashy to me with the exception of Eviscerate and Axe Throw. Greatsword is fantastic, low cooldown abilities, tons of damage, a ranged cripple and 2 gap closers which you can use to outrun nearlly anyone if things get messy.

In PVE I've basically been using Hammer with 3 shouts and 30 in Defense Traits to take all the benefits. I very rarely die any more and can take on quite a lot at once. The healing shouts trait is pretty awesome. I ideally want to get a good longbow but I'm stuck with a rifle at the moment. The Burning Arrow thing combos with Staggering Blow for some added damage but it just seems a bit stronger for most thing than the rifle due to it's better AoE.

As far as trying to tank goes. In a dungeon if you have everything hitting on you you're probably going to die, and if you start popping things like Shield Block the monsters aren't stupid and they will just ignore you. It's hopeless also because things don't hold aggro at all. It's pretty clear now that every class is more than capable of keeping themselves alive and thats really what they need to do.

yesitsrob.8054
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:56   #17
Sabre Wolf
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Send a message via AIM to Sabre Wolf Send a message via MSN to Sabre Wolf Send a message via Skype™ to Sabre Wolf
The Warrior I have been running with Sword/Axe and Rifle. Looking ahead, I am seing Disapline 30:3,6,7 / Arms 30:1,7,9, Strength 10:2

Basicully the load out for Sword/Axe is incrediable! Between Savage Leap to get in, Hamstring to prevent them from running, then Whirling Axe + Flurry for massive amounts of AoE damage. Add that to Grasping Roots (sylvari, replace with Bolas if not), the target just can not get away from your Auto attack and double chops. Signets of Might, Dolyak and Healing for the strong passives and major boosts if needed. Add those to the Trait Deep Strike which increases my percision by +120! With the trait line, I have a constant 20% chance to crit (if my math is right). And that is before equipment modifiers. I wonder if there is a limit because I could load out with a 50-70% chance to crit on every hit. I am guess additional modifiers are not additive though...

Sabre Wolf.1657 | YouTube Channel | GW1 Skill Folder (04/10/10)

Last edited by Sabre Wolf; September 5th, 2012 at 08:14.
Sabre Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 03:44   #18
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robus View Post
In PVE I've basically been using Hammer with 3 shouts and 30 in Defense Traits to take all the benefits. I very rarely die any more and can take on quite a lot at once. The healing shouts trait is pretty awesome.
I've had a chance to try this out, I used it throughout my clear of Straights of Devastation. It is incredibly resilient. The Shouts Heal trait doesn't seem like much but it represents an incredible increase in HP/min compared to most other warrior builds which only have the Heal Sig passive. The shouts help your teammates as well, although sometimes it is hard to tell by how much.

I was a bit skeptical of Hammer, but its definitely legit against crowds since 1(3), 3, and F1 all hit infinite targets. Its also nice that it doesn't have any important Trait boosts in Strength or Arms that the +30 Defense and Tactics would cause you to miss. If it were possible to have Slashing Power, Armored Assault, and Shouts Heal at once I would use Greatsword with the same build otherwise.

Oh, and I wish either Defy Pain or Spiked Armor worked. Boo.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:43   #19
Caiel
Reef

SoF Members

Reflection on the Warrior

Thought I might drop some thoughts around this class what worked for me...

This is probably one of the easiest classes to play with an arsenal of weapons and abilities to choose from. The warrior is a lean mean fighting machine that wants to do damage with anything you put in his hands.
That is also the fun with this guy. Experiment with your weapons. I believe its important to find YOUR style of play, so this will not be a HOW TO PLAY YOUR WARRIOR ... but more of what I found works for me. Furthermore, weapon choices may depend on situation eg. PVE vs WvW, so keep a extra set in your backpack. At L80, you probably want to start settling down. Mats are getting more expensive and harder to grind, so you need to make sure you get the right stuff , first time.

The warrior is a allround damage dealer. He has some very strong survival skills (traits and utilities to keep him alive), an arsenal of weapons both close combat and long range and some very good group buff abilities from his banners. Combined with heavy armor, played right, he can be a really good asset in any party.

Here is how I set up my warrior and why - Would love to see other people's setup...

The warrior is all about adrenaline buildup (Your 'special attack') so I built around this type of attack trying to generate it as quick / much as possible while utilising it passively when eviscerate is on cooldown.

Weapons: Duel Axes
Prefer these as they do reasonable damage, and give vulnerability, cripple and fury in their attacks. Their biggest advantage is that 3 of the 5 basic attacks is a form of aoe damage against multiple cc targets.
Special attack - Eviscerate - A brutal single mob attack.

Weapon 2: Rifle
This often helps with pulling mobs , or avoiding situations where a mob is simply murder in close range. Has the abilities to cripple , knock back, vulnerability and bleed. Also great when your health is too low, and you need a breather. Rifle is a single target shooter with a very good range.
(The longbow is more for multiple targets and you need to use a trait skill to extend its range to be on par with rifle)

Stats: Both weapon and armor I am focussing on 3 stats: Primary stat for warrior is Power - This is your damage output (Note that my build is not built around bleed and bleed damage as your focus might shift to condition damage and condition duration). My second stat is precision aka Crit, and 3rd is crit damage.
For me , the sigil / rune that would work the best is the 'Berserker' as it has all 3 of these stats.

Healing Skill - Healing signet - Prefer a constant regen of health (combined with the extra 40 precision due to trait skill
Utility skills :
Signet of might (power / might)
Signet of fury (precision / adrenaline)
Signet of Dolyak (Reduce incoming damage)

ELite Skill :
Signet of Rage (Adrenaline / Fury, might & swiftness)
Group Optional - Battle standard - (Fury , might, swiftness, stability and revive fallen allies)

Traits:
Strength - 20 :
+200 power & 20% condition damage
Reckless dodge - Damage foes at end of dodgeroll
Berserker's Power (Increase damage based on adrenaline)
Building momentum (Burst skills restore endurance)
Duel wielding (Increase damage by 5%)

Arms - 10:
+100 Precision & +100 condition damage
Precise strikes (33% chance cause bleeding on crit)
Deepstrike (+40 precision per passive signet)

Defense - 30:
+300 Toughness & 300 healing
Thick skin - Extra armor when health>90%
Turtle's defense - +200 Toughness when crippled,chilled, stunned, imobilized
Adrenal Health - Regen health based on adrenaline
Last Stand - Activates Balanced stance when pushed, dazed, knocked down, stunned etc. - Balanced Stance gives stability
Armored attack - 5% of toughness converted to power
Defy Pain - Activates endure pain at 25% health
Endure pain - Take no damage for 5 seconds

Tactics - 0

Discipline - 10:
Increase critical damage by 10% and burst damage by 1%
Versatile rage - Gain 5 Adrenaline strikes at weapon swop
- Choice of 2 - Warrior sprint - Run faster while carrying melle weapons
or - Heightened Focus - increase up to 9% crit chance with 3 adrenaline bars

As you can see , I have built a lot around power-crit damage, adrenaline and toughness - survivability. Hope it serves me well.
C.
Old October 11th, 2012, 17:31   #20
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

Builds and Styles

I've only ever really played a warrior with a rifle, aside from Beta Weekends when messed around with each weapon a little bit.
I've recently been throwing around the idea of switching that to greatsword and wanted some input on what your favorite warrior weapons/builds are, how they play, and any tweaks you could see to improve effectiveness.

My personal build I've been tweaking since level 5 for rifles can be found here: Erik's Rifle Warrior
It centers around the idea of killing anything with as many quick and large crits as possible before it has the chance to lay a finger on you. Open with weakness then slow, normal auto-fire 1 round for a bleed, rapid fire, burst shot and repeat - riflebutting anything that gets too close. Can also be used with an offhand bow to set up a fire field for combo's or cover aoe on larger mobs that piercing rounds just don't cut it on.
I've managed to solo a couple of melee only champions using this rotation [minus burst shot as it forces you to stand still] and heavy kiting but any caster/ranger either higher than veteran status or in large numbers is still a real problem. Best bet is to line them up and let the piercing rounds do their thing and hope you can put out more damage than them.
Assuming your gear is exotic and stacks pure power, precision, and crit damage, you can 1-shot any normal level 80 creature with the 3 charge burst shot crit and can nearly "1-shot" [technically 5 shots, just 1 skill] any normal creature with rapid fire crits after applying a bleed and weakness.
The only real downside to this method are mobs. The 10 second and 8 second cool downs can seem like forever when overwhelmed.
ErikLeifsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 23:59   #21
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

There are at least three warrior build threads now, I have one to share eventually but I have no idea where to put it. Can has thread merge?

Old October 12th, 2012, 00:03   #22
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

2 reflection threads, no thread dedicated to builds and the discussion there of.
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:19   #23
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

The reflection threads are full of builds.

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:52   #24
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

My bad, what I read through it seemed to be just comparing differences between GW and GW2.
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:47   #25
Osiris
Dormant

SoF Members

Send a message via AIM to Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
There are at least three warrior build threads now, I have one to share eventually but I have no idea where to put it. Can has thread merge?
Along these lines, can we merge the other duplicate threads as well? It gets pretty confusing trying to find something specific with multiple threads all about the same profession.

"Now let's see...was that build in this thread?, no...maybe this one? nope..."
Old October 12th, 2012, 15:24   #26
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

Or possibly merge just builds to one specific thread. I quickly browsed through the 'reflection' threads and just saw a lot of 'I miss this from GW1' and 'This is a nice upgrade from gw1'. Never even saw the builds.
Old October 28th, 2012, 20:39   #27
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Dungeon Utility Axe

Axe/Shield & Rifle
Berserker's Armor/Accessories/etc

Healing Surge
Berserker's Stance
Banner of Discipline
Banner of Tactics
Rage Signet

20 Strength (Berserker's Power, Axe Mastery)
30 Tactics (Empowered, Inspiring Banners, Inspiring Battle Standard)
20 Discipline (Signet Mastery, Heightened Focus)

Chocolate Omnomberry Cream

Overview

This build combines several ideas to create a versatile dungeon delver that contributes both damage and support.

By combining Boon Duration (30 Tactics, Banner of Tactics, Omnomberry Cream) and Signet Recharge (Signet Mastery) the build is able to maintain a permanent Rage Signet (5x Might, Fury, Swiftness). Fury (+20% Crit Chance) is complimented by an array of Crit Damage increases (20 Discipline, Banner of Discipline, Axe Mastery, Berserker's gear). Berserker's Stance (gain 1/2-adren-bar/sec) streamlines Level-3 Eviscerate output.

Being already invested in 30 Tactics we are perfectly situated to dedicate the rest of the build to party support. With Banner of Discipline (Crit Chance, Crit Damage), Banner of Tactics (Healing Power, Boon Duration), and the Inspiring Battle Standard trait (Banners provide Regeneration), the build provides a myriad of benefits to the entire party.

Incidentally, the Regeneration constitutes a fourth permanent Boon for the Empowered trait to operate on (for a total of ~+6% damage at all times).

Usage

Place your banners at the beginning of each major battle. Usually its alright to place them on top of one another, but if the battle area is larger than usual, try to space them to cover more area in Regeneration.

Activate Rage Signet and start smashing the targets. Make sure to coordinate one target at a time with your team. Use Berserker's Stance as often as possible, and use Eviscerate as often as Level-3 is charged. Often times a single Berserker Stance can power two consecutive Eviscerates. Try to use Whirling Axe, Axe Throw, Shield Bash, and even Eviscerate in conjunction with combo fields provided by your teammates. Use Shield Stance if you get stuck with untenable aggro, and switch to your Rifle for a little while if you get low or are facing an outrageous boss. Rifle usage is fairly straight forward, just smash the buttons other than #5, which you save for if someone gets too close.

Healing Surge can technically be used to gain adrenaline, but it is usually much better to use it with a full adrenaline gauge for the maximum heal. Berserker's Stance helps to facilitate this as well.

If a battle ends while your Banners are relatively new, get a teammate to help you carry them to the next fight. Banners can be planted for a Blast finisher with skill #5, though this is rarely useful.

Ideal teammates

This build does not generate much vulnerability or bleeding, so it synergizes very well with teammates that do. Teammates that provide combo fields to trigger it's wide array of finishers on are also preferred. Lastly, any teammates focusing on Healing Power, Boons, or Criticals will especially benefit from the Banners you are putting down.

Old October 29th, 2012, 12:25   #28
Navis
Human Being

SoF Emeritus

Thanks for the build Neo. Is that the one you were talking about when we did Caudecus's Manor the other day? I was expecting something with Flurry spam and maximum usage of Quickness!

GW1: [Mo] Navis Atsukau | [A] Navis Swift | [Rt] Navis Seishin | [W] Sivan Star|[R] Anakha Akbar | [E] Guilwin Gray | [N] Moneva Myganne | [Me] Minala Mekhar | [P] Ilana Sloda | [D] Yaros Sloda
GW2: [W] Navis Swift | [En] Sivan Sokka | [G] Sivan Star | [Me] Navis Ciaran | Navis.1486

Last edited by Navis; November 7th, 2012 at 11:59.
Navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 22:43   #29
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navis View Post
Is that the one you were talking about when we did Caudecus's Manor the other day?
Ah no, that would be this one:

Bleeding Berserker

Sword/Shield & Rifle
Berserker's Armor/Accessories/etc
--- Rabid, Carrion, Valkyrie, or a mixture of the four is also acceptable. I use Berserker's because its compatible with my other warrior builds and I don't have the resources for multiple armor sets yet.

15 Strength (Great Fortitude OR Berserker's Power)
30 Arms (Deep Cuts, Blademaster, Last Chance)
25 Defense (Sure-Footed OR Vigorous Return, Shield Master)

OR

20 Strength (Great Fortitude, Berserker's Power)
20 Discipline (Heightened Focus, Sweet Revenge OR Vigorous Focus)

Healing Surge
Frenzy
Berserker's Stance
Endure Pain
Battle Standard

Overview

This is an aggressive build designed to exploit the natural synergy between the Strength and Arms trait lines, Sword, and Quickness.

To review, the Strength trait line increases Power and Condition Duration. The Arms trait line increases Critical Hit chance and Condition Damage. This means that by investing in both trait lines, both standard and condition dps are optimized. As the weapon most heavily invested in condition damage, the Sword is the weapon best equipped to take advantage of this free dual synergy. Coincidentally, Arms also contains all of the traits necessary to optimize Swordsmanship - Deep Cuts (+50% Bleed Duration), Blademaster (+10% Sword Crit Chance), and Attack of Opportunity (+10% Damage to bleeding opponents).

Quickness is a rare effect that allows you to perform actions twice as quickly. This primarily serves the purpose of increasing your attack speed, but also decreases the activation time of your Heal, Utility, and Shield skills. This is especially useful to a Sword warrior, as while it is active you will inflict twice as many stacks of Bleeding, build Adrenaline twice as quickly, and negate the channeling weakness of Flurry. This build includes three different ways to access Quickness: Frenzy, Last Chance, and Sigil of Rage.

The build is able to maintain a constant stack of 15-20 bleeds by itself on it's target after its initial build-up, and brushes up against the maximum limit of 25 whenever it uses Flurry. Berserker's Stance streamlines Flurry output, and also powers Healing Surge (which is ridiculously good, by the way). Other than Battle Standard (AoE revive downed allies), this build does not offer any party support.

The two variations of the build play the same way, but offer a different set of passive bonuses. Despite having less Strength the first version actually has more power (in high level areas) via Armored Assault (5% of Toughness added to Power). It also has significantly more Toughness and Healing Power, and access to either Sure-Footed (+25% Stance Duration) or Vigorous Return (Increased Health on Rally). Despite having less power the second version has more damage overall by investing in critical damage via Discipline, to compliment its high critical chance. It also has slightly longer lasting bleeds, can choose both Great Fortitude (5% of Power added to Vitality) and Berserker's Power +3/7/12% damage depending on adrenaline stage), and has access to one of either Sweet Revenge (100% chance to rally on kill during Vengeance) or Vigorous Focus (gain Vigor when using Stances) which are both very useful, if uncommonly taken, traits. The tradeoff is that it is significantly less resilient to damage.

Usage

Coordinate one target at a time with your team and smash it. Frenzy if you don't have aggro, and hit Endure Pain if that suddenly changes. Sometimes it is best to wait for Sigil of Rage to activate before hitting Frenzy for your second burst of Quickness - your crit chance is high enough that you won't have to wait long. Either way make sure to keep some track of Sigil and Last Chance's recharge. Use Savage Leap and Shield Bash to activate combo fields provided by teammates. Use Shield Stance if Endure Pain is on recharge or to block undesirable launchers, etc. Use Healing Surge at full adrenaline for the maximum heal. Use Battle Standard to revive the entire party if things really go south. Switch to Rifle if you are low and need to wait for Healing Surge to recharge, or against outrageous bosses. Be aware that with Hamstring, Flurry, and Shield Bash you do have some measure of crowd control at your disposal - try to keep your enemies clumped up and in combo fields.

PvP / WvW Variant

30 Strength (Great Fortitude, Berserker's Power, Physical Training)
10 Tactics (Leg Specialist)

Mending
Frenzy
Bulls Charge
Throw Bolas
Rage Signet

Hold people still with immobilization, stun, and cripple. Explode them with your teammates. Leading with Aimed Shot from your Rifle, switching weapons, and hitting Bulls Charge is often the strongest opening sequence. Against appropriate opponents, try to anticipate knockbacks such as Rifle Butt or Point Blank Shot, and block them with Shield Stance. Wait to Frenzy until after that occurs. Re-close the distance with Savage Leap if that fails. Roll the hell out of there once you attract too much attention.

Old October 30th, 2012, 02:00   #30
Lucky
A winner is YOU

Victrix Members

Send a message via AIM to Lucky
not. even. close.

W- Jadumba Narantunga -E- Venomous Anyi -N- Root Of All Evils
GW2- Lucky.7125
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote