Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old August 27th, 2012, 15:52   #1
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

Ask the pet lady a question

Once again I'm taking to ranger like a fish to water. If anyone has any questions about pets, I'd love to answer them! I've now tracked down all but 4 of them, so if there's a specific one you're looking for I probably know where it is...

Jenosavel.1756 - Leaves and Embers

Laurel Nokomis - Ravenna Moonshadows - Agghi - Ravenna Ninemoons - Cahaoir - Aurellia Lithlanos - Khalybs Greymaw - Jeno Blindingdawn

Last edited by Jenosavel; September 3rd, 2012 at 18:55.
Jenosavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:05   #2
Sabre Wolf
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Send a message via AIM to Sabre Wolf Send a message via MSN to Sabre Wolf Send a message via Skype™ to Sabre Wolf
I am instersted in any wolf pets that are out there. And you said one of the wolves was hard to get to and can be only found in wvw or somthing? I missed it because we were all clammering in WvW chat at the time... thank you for the help!

Sabre Wolf.1657 | YouTube Channel | GW1 Skill Folder (04/10/10)
Sabre Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 15:36   #3
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

Alpine Wolf is easy, it can be found in Hoelbrak at the Wolf lodge or in Wayfarer at the wolf shrine. In the wolf lodge you will have to go inside and up some stairs on the right side, then out another door and turn around to find a small alcove with wolves.

The regular wolf can only be found in WvW so far, on the Eternal Battle grounds map. It will be on the east side of the map south of the ogres but north of the supply camp. If you don't see it running from the ogres south to the supply camp, then check out the north eastern portions of the clearing that has the supply camp in it.

We only have those 2 wolves right now. They'll both come with the dog-family knockdown skill, which they will use the first time their target uses a skill after you switch to them. This means they attempt an interrupt, but aren't always quick enough to pull it off. Keep this knowledge in mind with regards to your swapping and you can use the dogs as interrupters semi-reliably.

The alpine wolf has an aoe chill F2 ability, while the regular wolf has an aoe fear ability. Since the F2 skills are slow to activate, don't expect to use the fear as an interrupt, but both of these howls work pretty nicely as control skills nonetheless. I'm currently running with an alpine wolf myself, which I try to save out of combat as much as possible so I have that knockdown-on-swap waiting for the right moment.

Laurel Nokomis - Ravenna Moonshadows - Agghi - Ravenna Ninemoons - Cahaoir - Aurellia Lithlanos - Khalybs Greymaw - Jeno Blindingdawn
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:43   #4
Sabre Wolf
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Send a message via AIM to Sabre Wolf Send a message via MSN to Sabre Wolf Send a message via Skype™ to Sabre Wolf
alpine wolf it is. Also my Norn Female Ranger starts with an Alpine Wolf, so I guess I am all set with the first one.

Do we know if the Plant wolves are tamable in the Sylvari area? I thought I saw a few Sulvari Rangers running around with some. Could have been the quest that is there because there is a ring with a ton of Plant Wolves in it and the quest turns you into one for a bit.

Old August 29th, 2012, 07:04   #5
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

They sure are. They're called "Fern Hounds" and they're all over the city as well as the first zone.

Also, I'm down to 2 missing pets now.

Old August 29th, 2012, 07:12   #6
Sabre Wolf
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

which known ones are you missing? Props for your work on this!

Also http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Canine got it!

Last edited by Sabre Wolf; August 29th, 2012 at 07:20.
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:40   #7
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

Carrion Devourer and Hawk are the only ones I'm still missing.

I wish I could update the wiki! I've got some more locations to add, but it doesn't let me save anything.

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:16   #8
Sabre Wolf
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

I would track down one of the admin on there and have them give you permissions. Or even some peeps from ANET.

Old August 29th, 2012, 13:09   #9
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Am also loving pet-collecting as a Ranger (and thanks for your help in-game with collection).

What are your suggestions for trait allocation?

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 13:28   #10
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to Nightsorrow
I seem to remember reading somewhere about some pets being race-specific, is this true in the live game? Are there any pets that certain races can/can't tame?

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat...
Nightsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 16:05   #11
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

Any race can tame any pet, but how early you have access and how easily does vary.

For example, one of the Charr starter pets is a salamander drake. The first tamable salamander drake I've found in the wild was in a mid-level charr zone (40-50ish). So other races can get one, but not without specifically trying, I would imagine. I'm not sure how much story crossover there is, so I'm not sure how likely another race is to come to that zone on their own in the regular course of play.

As to pet traits, how many you put into beastmastery and which majors you choose largely depends on what you want out of your pet. I would recommend that every ranger take at least 5 points, however. The 5-point minor trait in beastmastery gives your character quickness when you swap pets, and that quickness gives an amazing attack speed buff.

I personally will either be running 20 or 30 points in beastmastery. The tier 3 regeneration trait looks very nice indeed, but will have to be weighed against my other tier 3 options since I mostly likely will do a 20/20/30 split and thus only have access to one tier 3 trait.

Of course, not all rangers will want to invest in beastmastery, but I find it to be a very good deal. It increases all of your pets' stats, giving them both better damage and survivability. It also increases your healing power and thus the strength of your self-heal. This means its a trait line that will boost both your damage output and survivability at the same time. With the ability to go into 3 trait lines (10/30/30 or 20/20/30) this means you still have 2 lines left to pick and can still pick both a damage style that suits you and a primary means of defense to wind up with a nicely rounded character.

As to the specific traits themselves, I don't like the tier 2 traits, myself. I could maybe see some use in PvP/WvW to the canine and spiders granting immobilize, but the others feel lackluster to me. With no way to stack your pet's stats towards one type or another (beastmastery increases them all evenly it seems...? will investigate further) then there's no way to really get the best output from the bleed-on-crit trait for cats/sharks. The stability granting trait has a strange wording and I'll have to test it to figure out what it actually does (stability during disable? Isn't that a little late to be applying stability?)

That said, I will probably be running with 2 tier 1 traits for now. The Master's Bond trait is amazing if you plan on rarely swapping pets, and if you're more the type to swap on cooldown, then getting might stacks for your pet on each swap from Mighty Swap is also nice. That in particular combos well with pets which have reliable on-swap skill use such as the dog's leaping knockdown and the porcine's knockdown charge. The porcines in particular are amazing with this trait since their charge is the first thing they do upon swap and it is an area of effect skill. Be warned, however, you'll only see brutal charge land against AI enemies. It's way too easy to spot and kite out of otherwise.

While it seems counter intuitive I may run with both Master's Bond and Mighty Swap for a while, using my swap-to-dog-with-might as a last ditch reserve measure I keep in the wings while I normally run with a single bond-buffed drake.

Last edited by Jenosavel; August 29th, 2012 at 16:10.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 18:56   #12
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

Last night I tracked down my final pet thanks to Bunter helping me slaughter enemies around 8 levels higher than I was. Thanks Bunter!

Old September 4th, 2012, 06:15   #13
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

I remember that you said on vent that a certain pet had a long knockdown, and one pet even had 2 CC.

I was looking for a table that has an overview of the pet skills, but have only found scattered information. Is there a table online somewhere?

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:17   #14
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenosavel View Post
Last night I tracked down my final pet thanks to Bunter helping me slaughter enemies around 8 levels higher than I was. Thanks Bunter!
It was my pleasure to help. I had a fun time on that adventure. Glad we gave it a go.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 17:11   #15
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

I don't think there is a table up anywhere yet. I'm working on putting together some comparative tables myself, but don't have them done yet.

Pigs have AoE knockdown but with such a wind-up that any player who isn't asleep will avoid it. It still works find on AI enemies though, and deals pretty nice damage as well.

If you're looking for reliable knockdown, I believe dogs are the easiest access to it. Their knockdown comes in the form of a leap skill which is one of the few pet skill types that still hits moving foes. They also use it rather predictably, which makes it better for PvP. Dogs will use their knockdown the first time their target enemy is using a skill after their knockdown is recharged. If you have a dog up all the time its hard to know when its knockdown will be recharged, but if you have it in reserve and swap to it, you can expect a knockdown to be coming shortly.

All dogs but the fern hound come with some sort of cc on F2 as well, but not necessarily one that can hit a player the easiest. Alpine wolf has chill, regular wolf has fear, and drakehound has immobilize.

Most of the ice-themed pets have access to chill on their F2 skill, but the response time on that is slow and not the most useful in PvP:
  • Snow leopard has a single-target chill in the form of a leap skill. The nice thing about pet leap skills is that they tend to hit reliably in PvP since the wind up animation happens before the movement portion and the pet more or less snaps to the foe at the last instant.
  • Alpine wolf does chill in a circular radius around itself; it will stop moving and use chill almost immediately when you ask, but it will do it exactly where its standing rather than running to any target. If you're great at controlling your pet's positioning, this could be handy.
  • Ice drake does chill in a line in front of it and will run up to an enemy first. This makes its activation delayed from when you hit the button and still doesn't help it hit players any better since it has a long wind-up animation that players can easily kite away from.
  • White moa does a cone chill in front of it, again with a noticable wind-up animation.
  • Snow owls have single-target chill which probably hits reliably (I haven't thoroughly tested), but the birds are so fragile for how slowly they attack that you should expect it to do much else except for chill. Birds are slow due to a long between-attacks animation.
  • Blue and rainbow jellyfish both have a large circular radius chill effect. For a while they were buggy and unreliable about actually using their F2 skill when you asked, but that appears to be fixed now.

As far as hitting enemies in PvP is concerned, most pets suck. They run up to an enemy and then stand still to attack, in which time the enemy has continued moving and usually doesn't get hit. Your best bet to actually hit people is to go with some spiders or devourers, who do long range attacks. Projectiles can be kited as well or fooled via strafing, but only if the player is focusing on it. If they're focusing on you instead, then a spider or devourer is more likely to land hits than other pet types.

All spiders also come with an immobilizing skill, which is invaluable in PvP. You can't control a pet's family skills, which this falls under, so the pet will use it at will. However, the jungle spider comes with an additional immobilize which you can control. And thankfully for everyone with a HoM, the black widow is a clone of the jungle spider so it also has a player activated immobilize.

The other ranged pet type is the devourer family. Devourers also have a knockback with half the recharge time of the dog's knockdown. They don't seem to use it in the same predictable pattern as dogs, though. But being a ranged pet they can attack without standing in aoe, and if they do wind up in it you can pull them out and set them back to attacking. They also have the highest armor rating of all pet families as well as an evasive retreat skill which they will use if they think there are too many enemies close by. Devourers have a chance (19%) to poison with their auto-attack, and an additional poison or bleed on their F2 ability.

When I get all the pet information together and arranged into nice tables and such, I'll probably make a new thread for it. That may take a while though, so I'm happy to answer specific questions in the mean time.

Last edited by Jenosavel; September 4th, 2012 at 17:15.