Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old October 10th, 2012, 19:55   #31
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenosavel View Post
Let us know if you update your amazing spreadsheet to have gems options on the armor instead of runes. I'd love to see how those numbers come out.

I have been continuing to work on it (my non-shared version, as I didn't want edits to disrupt it), and will share the link again when I have orbs in. I did add the Invader's armour, but I have to find out what the stats are for the accessories as I don't know if they come with a jewel socketed (and which one?). To make my life easier I just took stats for accessories as "X ring of the X", where the X's affect the same stats; I don't see a lot of Emerald rings of the Berserker, for example - they tend to be Ruby Berserker and Emerald Knight.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 17:19   #32
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

Granted mines only at 22 but so far it feels to me like Scepter/Sword is an amazing PvE set. Add in Mirror images and the daze/interrupt matras and I haven't been hit by an enemy in 6 levels. The combination of the scepters long range block and the swords close range block [both which spawn more shatterables] is amazing for keeping damage off of you and keeping up a good supply of cannon fodder. Sword 5 also has the phantasmal swordsman who does pretty intense burst damage on its initial strike. I was 15 and soloing mobs of level 15 ettins [usually 4 at a time] with ease in Queensdale last night. At this low level right now it looks like water combat for me will remain spear. Between #2 and #3 nothing but veterans survive. I'm curious to see just how much this changes for me once I begin getting to a decent level and get deeper into my traits.
Old November 10th, 2012, 22:45   #33
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLeifsen View Post
Granted mines only at 22 but so far it feels to me like Scepter/Sword is an amazing PvE set. Add in Mirror images and the daze/interrupt matras and I haven't been hit by an enemy in 6 levels. The combination of the scepters long range block and the swords close range block [both which spawn more shatterables] is amazing for keeping damage off of you and keeping up a good supply of cannon fodder.
I do like Scepter/Sword for taking on champions/veterans, but I don't find I like it as much in general PvE; I like my main hand sword too much.

Quote:
Sword 5 also has the phantasmal swordsman who does pretty intense burst damage on its initial strike. I was 15 and soloing mobs of level 15 ettins [usually 4 at a time] with ease in Queensdale last night. At this low level right now it looks like water combat for me will remain spear. Between #2 and #3 nothing but veterans survive. I'm curious to see just how much this changes for me once I begin getting to a decent level and get deeper into my traits.
Interesting, that's pretty effective if you can handle 4 ettins at a time. In water, I tend to rely on spawning 3 clones with my trident, then using my spear. Trident clones apply Confusion with their attacks, which I enjoy.

One question I have is what other mesmer run for sigils; I'm currently running Sword/Torch (or Sword/Focus in WvW) with a Staff swap; I have Sup. Bloodlust on my sword and Sup. Battle on the staff and Torch; every time I swap weapons I get 3 stacks of Might. I'm considering changing it, however, to either Superior Energy or Stamina, to get more dodges happening. Superior Stamina could allow tons of dodging any time there were groups of creatures, while Superior Energy would add a dodge every time you swap weapons. Against a tough foe when you aren't killing things (big solo champions, etc.) the Energy rune would seem to work better, and I suspect that's when you find you most need the extra dodges?

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy

Last edited by Epinephrine; November 10th, 2012 at 22:51.
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:50   #34
Jinx
Mesmers :]

SoF Members

I run superior bloodlust on my staff, which I use defensively or until I reach 25 stacks (more incentive to use it).

On my gs I'm using Superior sigil of Air which deals extra damage on crits. Since the gs auto attack ticks 3 times, that means there's even more opportunity for it to happen. My gs auto attacks reach ~2.2k in my rampager cloth +staff / berserker accessories +gs setup.
Old November 11th, 2012, 15:29   #35
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
I do like Scepter/Sword for taking on champions/veterans, but I don't find I like it as much in general PvE; I like my main hand sword too much.
Mine is only L24 atm, but main hand sword has underwhelmed me so far. Sword 2 is nice but Sword 1 inflicts Vuln one at a time and strips non-existent boons every 3rd hit, and Sword 3 doesn't seem like the best summon. I've been preferring Scepter for clones and confusion.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:05   #36
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I did have on idea I'll still need to test out once I'm a higher level which is having both weapon sets as scepter/sword. If they don't share cooldowns that means you'd have a seemingly endless supply of blocks - and if rigged with endurance on swap - a seemingly endless supply of dodge clones.
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:59   #37
Jinx
Mesmers :]

SoF Members

Quote:
I did have on idea I'll still need to test out once I'm a higher level which is having both weapon sets as scepter/sword. If they don't share cooldowns that means you'd have a seemingly endless supply of blocks - and if rigged with endurance on swap - a seemingly endless supply of dodge clones.
They do share cooldowns.

Personally, offhands were pretty underwhelming back when I was starting out and the main hands werent enough to convince me to dual wield. I especially find it odd why you guys are liking the scepter - general consensus is that it's our broken weapon. As if confusion wasn't bad enough, scepter 3 is single targetted confusion. The clone generation is deceptively slower than any of the two handers and the block, which seems to be its redeeming feature in your eyes, didn't really get much use from me.

I don't know, I can't see myself changing from Staff / GS. It definitely differs from one play style to the other, but I tried everything before deciding on my set so maybe you should give either of them a try.

Last edited by Jinx; November 12th, 2012 at 07:05.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 19:56   #38
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I like the scepter mostly for its blocks. Between that one and the swords offhand block those two moves alone kill, or at least nearly kill, most mobs.
Old November 14th, 2012, 20:10   #39
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Mine is only L24 atm, but main hand sword has underwhelmed me so far. Sword 2 is nice but Sword 1 inflicts Vuln one at a time and strips non-existent boons every 3rd hit, and Sword 3 doesn't seem like the best summon. I've been preferring Scepter for clones and confusion.
Granted, I'm just now hitting Lv20, but my prefernces for weapons are Staff (excellent weapon slot) and Sword/Icon or Torch.

Regarding the sword, I'm not impressed with #1 either, but I hardly ever use it. My rotation with the sword is to switch-3-2-switch back to staff and Phase Shift out if I'm using the Icon (maybe summon a phantasm if the mob is stationary). When I play Torch, I get a little crazy and go 3-2-4-5, then back to staff and 2 out.

By the way, I love my mesmer. Playing Mesmer forces me to think more than any other class I've played. Ranger is way to easy to just stick with one weapon for 90% of the time. Engineer is kind of the same: I stick with a pretty basic set/rotation for most scenarios. But Mesmer really makes me examine stuff and I am constantly on cooldown with all slot skills and weapon skills. I've begun using combos on my own as well, which I never did before-they really bring in a great angle to gameplay that just hasn't been there before for me.

GW1: Vai Demine | GW2 Account: vaidemine.7285
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 20:19   #40
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

I mostly like MH sword for Sword 2. I much prefer the 2.5 seconds of invulnerability to a blocking skill. Against a single target the blocking skills are great, but as soon as you have many foes, or attacks that deal a rapid set of damage pulses, I like the invulnerability.

I agree Vai, I play much more actively on the mesmer, which makes it fun.

Old November 14th, 2012, 22:22   #41
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

That's why my secondary set is just a sword in the main hand. If I can no longer keep everything at distance I swap out to dual swords, unleash #2 followed by #3 then roll back for an additional illusion between my enemy and myself and giving me room to go back to range.
I do love them for the same reason as you guys though, there's so much room for tactical thinking and so many different ways you can tackle each fight.
Old December 31st, 2012, 16:26   #42
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

I'm approaching Lv80 and so getting a little more serious about what my Mes wants to do when she grows up. Leveling I've pretty much stuck with Staff & Sword/Icon as weapons, with Decoy, Mirror Images, [insert random skill here] and Time Warp as my utilities. My gameplay has focused mostly on generating all the clones I can and shattering them as fast as I can. I will likely drop the focus for the Torch once I stop leveling (the speed buff on icon 4 has just been great for traveling, and the phantasm on 5 is situationally excellent).

However, I've found a few things that bother me:

1. My damage output seems very, very low. This is a bit disappointing and I've not found a way to boost it without sacrificing my play style. I have focused my traits on reduced cooldowns for my weapons and clone generation, which tends to throw me all over the trait lines. I currently have 0 points in +power (which is probably my biggest problem), but the traits in that line are so lame that I can't find anything I like. As a coutner-point to low damage, I have amazing survivability. With clones, stealths, blinds, etc... I find myself able to take on groups of 8-10 sometimes and come out fine. It gets a little dodgy sometimes, but I could never do that on my engineer...

2. I have very few reliable options for AOE. Chaos Storm works okay, but it has a long timer and also doesn't seem to hit hard enough for me to get credit for kills (I'm talking about dynamic event-type activities here). If there is a large group of enemies and players, I can throw Chaos Storm down on the mobs and still not get credit for any of them (no XP and no loot). That's a bummer. Shattering does spread damage around, but it's not as reliable as I would like it to be.

3. I have almost never found a use for my F3 and F4 skills. They sit there unused 99% of the time. That's kid of sad.

4. As mentioned in #1 above, I find the trait options for mesmer seem underwhelming. There are very few that I see and think "Gee, I just have to get that."

All that being said, I really do love playing my Mes and so I'd like to see how people are using theirs lately. It's been a while since we had an update from Epi/Jinx in here and I'm interested to see how their playstyle has evolved (if at all) after a couple more months under their belts.

Thoughts?

GW1: Vai Demine | GW2 Account: vaidemine.7285
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 19:06   #43
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Well, you have nailed my feelings on the mesmer. I can do a bit of decent spike damage by shattering clones rapidly, and the mesmer has pretty good survivability in a situation where you can kite/clone. AoE is pretty much sword 2/shatter/Chaos Storm.

F4 gets used a fair bit with me - it's an instant cast invulnerability. I've survived things that kill everyone else - get pulled in prone in front of the angry ghost lieutenant in AC? F4 and you walk out alive. F3 less so, but I sometimes manage to interrupt something with it. I agree that F1+F2 are the workhorses.

My playstyle has not evolved much, and I find that while I like playing my mesmer, I am weak and not very effective much of the time. My mesmer is not in full damage gear, but wears a fair bit of berserker's gear (all 6 armour pieces) with pretty offensive runes (5*sup divinity+ a ruby) and a superior bloodlust, and yet my maximum damage has not broken 200k, and that was on my engineer's bomb (and he's geared more for survival).

As we've seen in WvW and other places, the mesmer is flexible and allows teams great mobility - but that's where it shines, and PvE isn't.

Old December 31st, 2012, 19:24   #44
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Yeah I'm not too sure on PvE either, but this is the build I've been looking forward to using in WvW.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:48   #45
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

This is a slightly more up to date link of the same build that Neo posted - by Osicat. Having seen this guy's videos - he really takes mesmer to the top level!

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...ve-Shatter-Cat

The guide may look 3 months old but he updates all the time (most recent updates in last 2-3 days) so it is very up to date.

I feel a lot clearer about how to play mes effectively in WvW from having read these in more detail and checked out some of his videos.

It's also now time for me to properly equip and spec my mesmer (who doesn't have any exotics, yet, other than 4/6 armour pieces).

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote