Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old September 6th, 2012, 13:52   #16
Jinx
Mesmers :]

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
I similarly use Mirror image, love it. And Decoy. One reason I like Decoy and Torch on my bar is that I have two invisibilities, and sword 2 makes me invulnerable while swinging. Pretty good survival. When exploring to get areas I generally have my torch and decoy on with Portal to get access to areas. A more typical combat bar for me is Feedback, Mirror Image, and Decoy; with deceptive evasion you have great clone generation. I use Time Warp as my elite, as it works well in groups, and for stacking conditions with staff clones or underwater clones.
What stats are you stacking as a sword/torch wielder (or even mesmer in general)? Do you look for toughness/vitality since you're melee? I'm using the Ravager set which is Power/Precision/Condition Damage.

I played 1h sword in BWE1 and it was fun, but couldn't find an offhand that I liked much. Torch sounded like a good idea but the burning skill felt too slow. Focus in BWE1 was lame but it seems it's changed a bit (even read somewhere the phantasm here has the highest damage of all). Pistol is probably the most popular choice - not sure if it's an aesthetic thing or it's actually viable . Played very little sword OH so can't say I have an opinion on it.

I considered taking Decoy but sometimes even Mirror Images seemed like overkill since I'd have cooldowns on my Mind Wrack and Cry of Frustration after doing the whole rotation fast enough. I've heard good things about Mimic so I might try that one. Also though about Signet of Illusions since it refreshes the cd on shatter skills on active.

Not sure if you know this already but the Illusionary Persona (30 illusion) trait lets you use Diversion and Distortion without having a clone up anymore. (and the first two as well, but these can help in a pinch)
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:17   #17
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
What stats are you stacking as a sword/torch wielder (or even mesmer in general)? Do you look for toughness/vitality since you're melee? I'm using the Ravager set which is Power/Precision/Condition Damage.
I'm still in the early game, so I haven't been bothering much with my stats; it's not worth trying for very specific gear when I change every few levels. I try to get at least some condition damage going, since staff gives bleed, burn, I put out confusion underwater and with shatter, and the torch burns.

Quote:
I played 1h sword in BWE1 and it was fun, but couldn't find an offhand that I liked much. Torch sounded like a good idea but the burning skill felt too slow. Focus in BWE1 was lame but it seems it's changed a bit (even read somewhere the phantasm here has the highest damage of all). Pistol is probably the most popular choice - not sure if it's an aesthetic thing or it's actually viable . Played very little sword OH so can't say I have an opinion on it.
I like sword OH, but I prefer the torch excepting against single big foes. Torch is a nice get out of danger skill, and i often use it to shed aggro (especially when running places).

Quote:
I considered taking Decoy but sometimes even Mirror Images seemed like overkill since I'd have cooldowns on my Mind Wrack and Cry of Frustration after doing the whole rotation fast enough. I've heard good things about Mimic so I might try that one. Also though about Signet of Illusions since it refreshes the cd on shatter skills on active.

Not sure if you know this already but the Illusionary Persona (30 illusion) trait lets you use Diversion and Distortion without having a clone up anymore. (and the first two as well, but these can help in a pinch)
True, but decoy breaks stun, and I do tend to leave 3 staff clones up when possible on tougher foes, to stack conditions while I engage with sword - then I trigger them all and replenish quickly. My plan is to get additional confusion on all shatters, up my confusion duration, etc., and stack tons of confusion that way.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:42   #18
Jinx

SoF Members

I'm really liking Feedback. Mimic has too long of a cooldown to be worth it, unless I'm missing something.

I still haven't decided what insignias to use on my armor set. Runes of Lyssa seem like a good choice since it synergizes so well with Time Warp and Signet of Inspiration (6 piece bonus is: on elite use gives all boons for 5 seconds and removes all conditions). Still researching though. (for the non-mesmers out there, SoI copies all your boons to nearby allies. So it means 5 people with quickness for 10 seconds and 5 seconds of those with all boons in the game)

I've actually replaced Signet of Inspiration with Blink. It's nice but I'm not in love with it. I appreciate the mobility and stun break. There are times where it's obvious the boss is tunnel-visioning on one player (mostly NS ) and after it happening so many times I realize maybe I should get Veil for stealth and give him a break? I've noticed that some mobs I use Veil against it doesn't really do much as they still follow and hit me while stealthed. Could be a DoT breaking it though so it's not fact.

Regarding armor, I'm using full Rampager rares. Yes, I am squishy but between the clones, Phase Retreat, Distortion, and dodging I'm living long enough.

Another thing I'm considering is going full support mesmer. Stack Healing Power and go for all the healing traits (heal allies on mantra use, shatters, phantasms grant regen). I really like the way I'm playing now but it would be nice to explore different play styles.

Last edited by Jinx; September 18th, 2012 at 09:53.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 13:43   #19
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to Nightsorrow
Quote:
There are times where it's obvious the boss is tunnel-visioning on one player (mostly NS )

But anyway, I wouldn't try to tweak a build to stop an enemy from tunnelling on a player - it doesn't seem possible, even dying and being ress'd / running from a waypoint doesn't seem to change the boss target...

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat...
Nightsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 16:53   #20
WetWookie
Needs a towel...

SoF Councillors

WetWookie.1687
WetWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 18:37   #21
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

It sounds like Mesmer's gotten stronger since I tried it in the betas... need more character slots!

Jenosavel.1756 - Leaves and Embers

Laurel Nokomis - Ravenna Moonshadows - Agghi - Ravenna Ninemoons - Cahaoir - Aurellia Lithlanos - Khalybs Greymaw - Jeno Blindingdawn
Jenosavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:19   #22
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Got my mesmer's bump to traits, picked up the grandmaster trait in Illusions that allows you to shatter off yourself as well; wow - it works pretty well. It's quite a boost to damage and effects - 33% more damage from the blast and 33% more effect is pretty strong.

My shatter build is working well for me, I'm still running sword/torch and staff, with dodge generates clone and mirror images on my bar. Between the torch to shed aggro, a 4 second distortion, and the sword 2 invulnerability, you can do pretty well facing your (PvE) foes in melee. I may have to try a different setup for WvW though, I diodn't feel as effective there, I suspect Greatsword might be a better choice than the sword/torch combo.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:26   #23
Jinx

SoF Members

Ok so yesterday I spent a fortune. I crafted full exotic rampager's set (prec / power / cond) and a berserker's (power / prec /crit damage) amulet and rings. I haven't got to play with it much because MF 2gud, but I like the numbers I have. High power, high crit, high crit damage, mediocre condition damage and relatively low vit and toughness (in that order).

I figured all that precision I had with a full rampager's set was useless if my crit damage wasn't significantly higher. Furthermore, I learned through this number crunching that jewelery actually offers significantly higher contribution to your stats than the actual armor.

I realize I built full glass cannon. Clones offer some survivability themselves and blink gets me out of the way in a pinch. While my brother the necro has just over 2k toughness, I find myself sitting at ~900.

This is something I will do when I get the funds for it: Restorative Mantras Mesmer (support)

Last edited by Jinx; September 24th, 2012 at 07:39.
Old September 24th, 2012, 22:01   #24
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

[Mesmer] Choosing mods

So, my mesmer is nearing 80, and I'm trying to figure out my gear. So far I have settled into Staff->Sword/Torch for my weapon skills (in WvW I swapped the torch for a focus, to get a speed buff).
As it is, I do a mostly shatter build with some emphasis on Cry of Frustration (and thus confusion), but it's not clearly a crit build or a condition build (though staff clones do add condition damage). On single targets in PvE or if I end up facing off against someone in WvW I spawn staff clones from a distance and let them pile on as many conditions as possible, so there is a condition side to the build, but a lot of the damage comes from shatters and the sword strikes.

My traits are spread between power (10 Domination), precision (20 Dueling), toughness (10 Chaos), and condition damage (30 Illusion), and since I use 1h sword, I get into melee regularly. If I end up using scepter more in WvW (to avoid closing, and to gain a block/blind skill) I may see about swapping some points around (maybe go to 20 inspiration instead of the power/toughness, to pick up faster scepter recharge).

I'm thinking of something to balance between them. Since I am looking at balancing things somewhat, I may consider runes of divinity, to get a bump to all my attributes; Runes of the Mesmer would provide +165 Power, +50 Precision, and +33% Daze duration. My current build almost never dazes. 6xSuperior rune of Divinity would grant +60 to Condition Damage, Power, Precision, Toughness, and Vitality and +12% critical damage, which would let me shift some points away from toughness/vitality on the armour/rings, perhaps.

For gear, I was thinking:
2x Rampager jewelery (Condition Damage/Power/Precision)
3x Soldier's jewelery (Power/Toughness/Vitality)
4xCarrion armour (Condition Damage/Power/Vitality)
2x Knight's armour (Power/Precision/Toughness)

2xKnight's weapons: Staff, torch (Power/Precision/Toughness)
1xKnight's weapons: main hand sword (Power/Precision/Toughness) extra toughness is nice if I am on sword, as I tend to be in the thick of things.

I'd end up with:
Condition damage: 4 major, 2 minor
Power: 3 major, 9 minor (+1 minor on sword/torch)
Precision: 2 major, 3 minor (+1 minor on sword/torch)
Toughness: 3 major, 2 minor (+1 major on sword/torch)
Vitality: 7 minor

Plus the Divinity rune bonuses to everything. Thoughts? I am not familiar enough with WvW and such to judge, but I think glass cannon might be a poor choice for a mesmer, so I was trying to work some vitality and toughness in there. If I end up using scepter instead of sword I could see putting more focus on condition damage, as the stack of 5 confusion from scepter 3 might be an important damage source.

Last edited by Epinephrine; September 24th, 2012 at 22:33.
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:22   #25
Jinx

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
Thoughts? I am not familiar enough with WvW and such to judge, but I think glass cannon might be a poor choice for a mesmer, so I was trying to work some vitality and toughness in there. If I end up using scepter instead of sword I could see putting more focus on condition damage, as the stack of 5 confusion from scepter 3 might be an important damage source.
The fact that you are using a melee weapon is enough to convince me that glass cannon is not the way to go for you (both my weapons are ranged and offer great defensive abilities). I thought about it for a while because I wasn't planning on buying my exotic armor/jewelery again but in the worst case at least I have them available for tinkering/transmutation if I change my mind in the future.

I'm not particularly impressed by condition damage in PvE as a mesmer, especially when you have at least 1 other person to compete with for stacks. Confusion rarely goes off on bosses, but it can potentially tick several times on trash mobs. Burning from torch takes too long to apply. Power is great no matter what the situation, which is why I opted for more of it. I still wanted my confusion and staff conditions in general to deal at least some respectable damage which is why I didn't go full berserker's (also Sharper Images).

I'm not even sure how well everything scales if you focus soley on a few stats or if it'd be better to go jack-of-all-trades. For example, I've heard toughness isn't worth it unless you have a large health pool. Furthermore, last i checked divinity runes are pretty expensive. I can't really say how effective my glass cannon set is yet since I haven't tried them yet, but I will report on it as soon as I do. But honestly, I die just about as much as everyone else in dungeons. Sometimes I get lucky and kite for while, other times I get downed just as I've been so kindly rallied.

I'm trying to look for mesmer theorycrafting but they're all so clueless on guru. So many threads complaining about lack of AoE damage, inability to get gold on events because they can't tag enough mobs, and so on. I've never received below gold for any event I've been to in its beginning. Sometimes I even get gold if I join late if I'm lucky. And all of my high damage is AoE (Chaos Storm, Mind Wrack, Cry of Frustration, Illusionary Berserker, Mirror Blade) so I have no idea what they're complaining about.

Oh, and I'm speaking from a 100% PvE point of view. I've had no real interest in WvW aside from exploring it all for PvE purposes >_>. Maybe when I'm done with all my exploring? About 8 zones to go!

P.S.: I've found in explorables going for 10 points in inspiration and grabbing that "condition removal on using heal" trait to be a life saver. I hesitated in taking it but it really comes in handy (originally invested in it for vigor on shatter, then feedback cdr).

Last edited by Jinx; September 25th, 2012 at 09:50.
Old September 28th, 2012, 20:32   #26
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Hmm, good points, I punched your setup into a spreadsheet I made, and it's very strong damage output, with reasonably good condition damage too.

I'm thinking I may do closer to what you are doing - I want at least some vitality, so I may sub in some Valkyrie gear and Carrion gear, to try to get a similar damage output and condition damage while getting a bit of health, too.

I'm now thinking of something like:
Berserker weapon and Coat;
Carrion mask and amulet
Valkyrie (Beryl) rings, and
Rampager on the rest;

It rebalances for a bit more power and a bit less precision, but works out to close to the same damage - about 5% less damage output, and slightly less condition damage (total of ~634 rather than 652), but gets 1920 more health (about 12% more life).

Old October 10th, 2012, 17:36   #27
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Ok so yesterday I spent a fortune. I crafted full exotic rampager's set (prec / power / cond) and a berserker's (power / prec /crit damage) amulet and rings. I haven't got to play with it much because MF 2gud, but I like the numbers I have. High power, high crit, high crit damage, mediocre condition damage and relatively low vit and toughness (in that order).

I figured all that precision I had with a full rampager's set was useless if my crit damage wasn't significantly higher. Furthermore, I learned through this number crunching that jewelery actually offers significantly higher contribution to your stats than the actual armor.

I realize I built full glass cannon. Clones offer some survivability themselves and blink gets me out of the way in a pinch. While my brother the necro has just over 2k toughness, I find myself sitting at ~900.

This is something I will do when I get the funds for it: Restorative Mantras Mesmer (support)
What runes are you running?
One thing I noticed was that the Superior Rune of the Mesmer doesn't offer what I want - while +165 Power and +50 Precision is nice, I don't daze often enough for it to be handy. This rune is also over a gold each - 1g 47s or so lowest seller, so it's over 8 gold to kit out in them (maybe as low as 7 gold if you are willing to put in orders and wait).

The Superior Rune of the Pack offers better stats, at less than half the price. The Pack rune grants +165 Power, +100 Precision, +20% Swiftness duration (a bit of a bummer on the class with the least access to that buff), and a chance to buff your allies when you attack. It seems to sell between 40 and 50 silver, so a full set should be under 3 gold. It's tempting for my Engineer, too, as it offers a fair bit of offense while helping him buff his allies, something he likes to do. Really, it's a bargain of a set of offensive runes, packing much more punch than most, while offering a pair of extra abilities, too.

Not often can you get a pretty much strictly superior rune for less than half the price. I'm tempted by it, though what I really want are Divinity runes, as I like the balance they offer - +60 Power, Precision, and Condition Damage with +12% Critical Damage is pretty decent offense, and 60 Vitality and Toughness patch that up nicely. Of course, they have quite the price tag - I may be able to get away with something less expensive in the meantime, so far I'm running Pirate stuff for MF%.

Old October 10th, 2012, 17:48   #28
Jinx

SoF Members

I'm using Ruby Orbs (they offer same stats as berserker items). They're pretty cheap too and offer stats similar to scholar runes (trades some power for crit damage iirc)

I'm not sure, but I heard a few of the Superior Runes were bugged and it may be the Rune of the Pack is one of them. I could be wrong about that though so take it with a grain of salt.
Old October 10th, 2012, 18:03   #29
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Yeah, the on attack function (4th rune power) is bugged on it, but I believe it's still a pretty good investment.
Hmm, 6 Ruby orbs is +120 Power, +12% critical damage, and +84 Precision, that's actually pretty decent; overall it looks like it beats out the rune sets, though it lack sthe (sometimes bugged) extras. And at ~13 silver each it's quite affordable!
Unfortunately, I think they can only be socketed in empty gear, so I can't add them now.

Wow, I hadn't realised how well orbs fill those spots. I may even use them on my engineer, rather than the Strength runes I was eyeing. The 20% longer might duration from the runes is tempting, but this is cheap and hits hard.

Last edited by Epinephrine; October 10th, 2012 at 18:28.
Old October 10th, 2012, 19:07   #30
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

Let us know if you update your amazing spreadsheet to have gems options on the armor instead of runes. I'd love to see how those numbers come out.

Jenosavel.1756 - Leaves and Embers

Laurel Nokomis - Ravenna Moonshadows - Agghi - Ravenna Ninemoons - Cahaoir - Aurellia Lithlanos - Khalybs Greymaw - Jeno Blindingdawn
Jenosavel is offline   Reply With Quote