Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:32   #1
Jinx
Mesmers :]

SoF Members

Reflection on the Mesmer

I know for a fact not many of you got to play as a Mesmer in the first BWE, and while you'll find plenty of videos and documents detailing every little bit on the internet, here's my reflection the Mesmer class as of BWE1! I hope it'll offer some insight into the feel of the class and more importantly, convert a few of you "undeclared majors" into fellow Mesmerlings. Or, at least, convince you to make a mesmer alt. I played the beta up to level 26, 100% first two human areas and moved on to Norn territory but did not PvP at all.

First of all, the Mesmer in GW2 is nothing like ye olde crier (of pain) of yore.

1. So Flamboyant.: The mesmer class is pretty notorious for its styling armor. A lot of players in GW1 were convinced to make a mesmer alt just because of an armor set they'd fallen in love with. I'll admit that the nice armor was a factor when I decided to main as a mesmer .

Now I didn't get to sample much armor in GW2, but it seemed that we all share the same clothes now (by type and not profession). So we lost that boon. It's not that bad, though (and End-game might prove different): ANet compensated by giving us beautiful and flashy spell animations. In GW1, many of our spells effects were pretty quiet and unimpressive (until Panic happened ). I think having spell effects announce the presence of a specific class is a new mantra of ANet's, and it's quite welcome.

2. Utility: I feel like the Mesmer in GW2 has inherited a lot from the Paragon (at least a couple of weapon skills). We can apply buffs and debuffs to friends and foes respectively using the (Staff's auto attack and Chaos Storm and Greatsword's Mirror Blade ). I'll go into weapons and their skills later. We also have (imo) the best utility spells in the game. As a mesmer, you can cast Glamours which are areas that either give your allies buffs (like stealth or movement speed bonus), debuffs enemies (with slows), both, or none! An example of the last would be PORTALS! We can create Portal Entrances and Exits, which are ofc short range. If you saw the video above, you'll know how it works. Unfortunately, it's prone to abuse as I discovered in the BWE finale...

3. Illusions and the F1-F4 abilities: These were generally underwhelming, sadly. There are 2 kinds of illusions: Phantasms and Clones. Phantasms have a purple glow, have their own name, are a nice source of damage and bring some utility (like cripple, bleed, blind, or even redirects 50% damage). Clones are very fragile (I think they have 1 hp) and they are pretty easily summoned. In addition, clones share your look and name and force whoever was targeting you to lose their target (this feature wasn't that helpful in PvE and I didn't PvP at all). Every weapon has access to phantasms and clones, some more easily than others (Wand auto-attacks spawn clones pretty quickly) and they differ depending on what weapon you summoned them with. The F1-F4 buttons were very disappointing and I hope they address them. My biggest problem was that they despawned after their target died, even if I were still in combat with a fairly big group... Another annoying bit was that there was no obvious feedback that the detonations were successful since the shatter animation is the same as them dying to damage. I'm not sure if you can have more than 1 phantasm up at the same time but I'm sure it's possible since I've had an Illusionary Warlock up when the ability came off cd. I just didn't notice in the heat of battle if both stayed or the old one was dispelled. Finally, I didn't like that they had to run to melee range to blow up. Fairly weak AoE will see that they fizzle.

F1: detonates all clones and phantasms for damage to nearby foes
F2: detonates all clones and phantasms to apply confusion to nearby foes. (confusions deals damage whenever foe uses an ability. Stacks)
F3: detonates all clones and phantasms to daze their target. (I believe this is the new "interrupt target foe")
F4: detonates all clones and phantasms, gaining a stack of Distortion per illusion shattered. (i.e. evasion)

4. Underwater Combat: I leveled trident all the way, and was halfway through Spear. I loved Illusion of Drowning (I couldnt find a video, but it snares a target with illusionary chains and anchor. AND THEY SINK!). Overall, I thought GW2 did underwater combat right. The barracudas were a huge pita and they spawned in ridiculous numbers (causing many a wipe) but overlooking that, it was fun.

5. Mantras
: Mantras are fun! They are more than just stances in this game. They are, in fact, mantras! Unlike normal spells, you need to prepare a mantra. Your character will actually chant the mantra when preparing it. So you'll cast it before combat, or during combat but that would be a waste of precious time, and you can then activate instantly. We have a trait that will allow 2 activations per mantra. We have one for healing, one for damage, one that will remove all conditions, and a few more...

6. Weapons and Abilities:
  • 2h Greatsword (long range glass cannon that did more damage the further away you were from your target. The phantasm summoned cripples its target to help keep maintain distance. Also buffed and debuffed friends and foes hit by the Mirror Blade abiltiy)
  • 2h Staff (Multitude of random boons and conditions to friends and foes respectively. The Phantasm here does more damage the more conditions the target has.)
  • MH Sword (standard duelist in that you must get in melee range, but you get an ability that makes you temporarily invulnerable while you deal damage)
  • MH Scepter (Fast clone production and easy confusion stacking)
  • OH Sword (gives a block ability and Phantasmal Swordsman)
  • OH Focus (A more defensive/utility, gives a movement speed glamour and summons a whirrling defense phantasm to reflect projectiles)
  • OH Pistol (Nice Trick shot that applies a different debuff on up to 3 targets. This could have been my favorite OH if the phantasm summoned here began his attack quicker. It launches a barrage of bullets)
  • OH Torch (gives you a stealth mechanism and phantasmal rogue)

I think they're all viable for some niche or another. My personal favorites were Greatsword and Staff, but I spent a lot of time using 1h sword and some off-hander. The Focus was my least favorite only because it didnt offer any damage and I couldn't place the Whirrling defense Phantasm properly. I can see Mesmer tanks happening with proper blocking using double swords, dodging, and the 50% damage redirection phantasm. If there's a character wipe, I probably won't roll a mesmer again (not for BWE2, but I will revisit in the third ), so someone else will have to try it!

Oh, and beware the Signet of Inspiration. I believe it will be your first Utility unlock. "Passive: You gain a random boon every 10 seconds. Active: Boons present on you at the time of activations are copied to all nearby allies." Your character will say whatever announcement they have when they gain a certain buff: "I can outrun a centaur!", "You'll have to hit harder than that!", "Time to deal some damage!", and so on...

If there's anything I missed or you'd like to know, please let me know! I hope you enjoyed reading.

Last edited by Jinx; May 7th, 2012 at 12:04.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:39   #2
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Mesmer is a fun class. Great write up Jinx.

Oh, and you're spot on about Signet of Inspiriation, the constant influx of boons is too good but he constant shouts...... get to be a bit much over time.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 15:52   #3
Queto
Seeker Shing Jea

SoF Members

Did anyone here play some PvP with the mesmer? I'm reading mixed reviews on this profession, from people boasting they steamrolled everyone they encountered to those complaining illusion take too long to reach their shatter targets or overall mesmer damage is subpar...

I do like the whole teasing and confusing thing about the class. Playing a bit of hide and seek with an ignorant opponent, can't wait to try it!
Queto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 23:43   #4
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

I played a mesmer for part of this BWE, getting up to level 12. With the tiered skills, I didn't get to try all the skills I might have wanted, but I got to try 5 of the 1 point skills and a couple of three point skills.

This is all based on female human mesmer up to level 12.
Style
The mesmer is horribly underdressed at low levels, with the tiniest skirt and revealing top. Not my style. I was so happy to get a pair of pants later on, though even then I was stuck with a skimpy top. I wasn't happy with my starting clothes or the early replacements.

Utility
I didn't find the utility skills very fun, so far, though I can see how a few of them might be able to be worked into a build or two. The mantra I tried provided a daze (which interrupts), hearkening back to the GW mesmer, so I had fun stopping big attacks with it, but many of the others were a little lackluster. One signet would provide random boons every 10 seconds, and if activated it would spread my current boons to my allies - a nice effect n a party, if you can get a lot of boons going. Illusion of Life was a handy 3-point skill when traveling with allies, as you could pop an ally back up instantly rather than reviving them. One of the more disappointing utilities was "blink", which I thought would be an amazing spell for jumping puzzles (like the Engineer's jump shot), but turns out to fail any time it requires a jump, or pretty much if there is any obstacle in the way. There is another one (null field) which woud be very good in PvP or in some party situations in tougher areas. Hopefully some of the higher level powers are more fun.

Illusions and the F1-F4 abilities
These are still underwhelming. The clones deal basically no damage (mine were consistently scoring 0 damage), and the shatter was only equivalent to a normal hit. The non-clone illusions (phantasms?) weren't bad, but have virtually no health, dying in a single hit.

Underwater Combat
The mesmer is very effective underwater, compared to my engineer. The engineer always feels like he's moments away from getting killed, while the mesmer abilities provide nice damage output while also having nice debuffs.

Downed State
The mesmer is not the most effective downed player. the teleport occasionally helped get me out of the area that damage was raining in on, but isn't sufficiently long to get out of agro ranges. The base attack is lackluster, and the summoned illusion doesn't seem very effective.

Weapons and Abilities
I'll list these with commentary:
  • 2h Greatsword - Clone was basically useless, single target damage is less useful in PvE. Faced them in WvW, though, and they hurt when you are the only target around.
  • 2h Staff - Clones are actually useful, since they apply random conditions that deal normal damage (bleeding, burning). Chaos Strom is fun and combos well, and the phantasm is good, too. Strong weapon.
  • MH Sword - Arc of damage on skills 1+2 is nice, clone on 3 deals no damage, but does cripple. My favorite main hand.
  • MH Scepter - Fast clone production, but the confusion is no longer applied. Since the clones deal 0 damage, pretty much completely useless. I would never equip a scepter now.
  • OH Sword - Good option, since an additional block never hurts. With a MH sword (and the invulnerability attack) it allowed fighting enemies like ettins without getting hurt, since you always had a block, invulnerability, or dodge available for their less frequent by powerful attacks.
  • OH Focus - Found this option a little weak. The Phantasm isn't particularly effective.
  • OH Pistol - Trick Shot is tempting, but I'm still not a big fan of it. It certainly does work though, and the ranged phantasm is handy against enemies that would eliminate other clones with their PBAOE attacks.
  • OH Torch - I love the stealth+burning skill, as it breaks agro, and lets you apply a very damaging condition. Phantasm isn't bad.

My choice was Staff for ranged starts and setting up a couple of condition granting clones, followed by the staff's Chaos Armour and closing in with MH Sword with one of OH Sword/Torch/Pistol, in that order of preference, but swapping them in as needed.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 00:02   #5
FrogDevourer
Retired Tyrannosaur

Administrators

My mesmer didn't get much love from me. I tried to unlock all weapons but I found the profession consistently confusing (pun intended) and weak. That could be because of the confusion bug, but the profession looks like more dmg oriented than in GW1, but it lacks AoE dmg, it lacks CC, it lacks defensive skills, and healing.

I had a lot of expections about clones and phantasms, but they were really underwhelming and disappointing. They look pretty, and that's about all they can do.

And style-wise, my female Charr was... just ugly. Okay, you don't expect a Charr to be a top model, but the outfit sucked and... the mask, omg, the mask! I searched in GW2 forums for 10 min just to get rid of it.

"You are forcing me to be the voice of reason. And thatís not a good look for me!" - B.Stinson
FrogDevourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:31   #6
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

I'll expand from last time a bit. I ran a mesmer again, this time leveling to ~22 over my play time.

Since I already knew I liked the staff paired with sword/torch, I wanted to try exploring other weapons, forcing myself to play with them.

Style
One thing I made use of this time were transmutation stones. If I liked my stuff, I kept the appearance with stones. I doubt I will do this in play all the time, but since I generated 9 transmutation stones (finished three zones) it wasn't hard to keep a decent looking jacket and pants. I found a couple of nicer skinned weapons and swapped their appearance with my effective weapons, so that I could look more stylish; a bit of vanity, but since the characters are being wiped, not my biggest concern - the stones were disappearing at the end of the weekend anyway. I enjoyed having a bit more control over my appearance.

UtilitydThis time I took different skills. I cranked through zones grabbing skill points, and by level 15 I had already acquired some of the tier 3 utility skills. I only unlocked a third utility slot toward the end of the weekend, but even with two slots I felt I could have a lot of fun. My favorite two skills to be running were Feedback and Decoy. Feedback makes a dome that reflects projectiles (around your enemies), and I took out Mark II golems very quickly with it, as they'll drop half their health in their first volley into the dome. Decoy is nice on several counts: it is a nice combat move to escape aggro while generating a clone, it can be used to get a clone up fast at the start of combat (decoy, , clone skill, weapon swap, clone skill, you have three from the start), and it's a nice PvE skill for travel, as you can get away from pursuit by turning invisible and running away, while your clone runs in to die. I also really enjoyed the flexibility of Portal Entre, using it to do fun things in PvE (like access things below me at a cliff, then port back up), grabbing tough POI (Set Portal, Speed buff, run in using Torch 4 and Decoy to go invisible, and setting a new portal once the POI lights up to portal back out), but I also used it in combat, running along blasting at a foe, then popping back out another portal to blast again, ping-ponging the foe between my portals. It's great fun, and people doing jumping puzzles love it (I helped some strangers up to a vista with it, and they were pretty impressed). Phantasmal Defender also made an appearance on my bar as a decent utility phantasm.

Illusions and the F1-F4 abilities
I played a little more with these, and while I still think they need work, it felt a little better - perhaps because I was consciously triggering them a lot. I get the feeling that traiting these skills will make a big difference in how effective they are, as there are several really nice traits that go with them.

Underwater Combat
Underwater combat has gotten harder - the weapon seems to generate less confusion, and it lacks good AoE functions.

Downed State
I think that the damage was adjusted a bit here, it felt like I could actually get back up sometimes. The 3rd skill summons a pretty effective phantasm, though I seldom managed to get it off - if I was really in trouble I just died, and if it had been a close fight I typically rallied quickly.

Weapons and Abilities
2h Greatsword - Pulled this weapon out again, still not that fond of it, though it works very well single target. Used it to kill Shades and such, as they were appearing one at a time when I destroyed portals.

2h Staff - Still a strong weapon. the clones all inflict conditions, making them nasty. Staff skill 2 summons such a clone, teleporting you, and is a very strong skill for defense and offense, as you get another condition dealing clone that you can blow up if needed. At a 10 second cooldown it didn't seem that much slower at generating clones than scepter 1 did, and the clones were more useful.

MH Sword - Still my favorite main hand, between evade, distortion, and sword 2 you can avoid a lot of damage.

MH Scepter - The clones still do nothing except serve as fodder. Clone every three attacks is slow enough that they just get smashed by most enemies, as they appear in melee (unlike the staff clones, which appear at a range). Still, I tried to make it work, and playing Scepter/Sword managed a very defensive build that can generate clones like mad, with two block skills. Skill 3 (Confusing Images) works well to get some real confusion damage going, but as it is single target it is less impressive in PvE - nice versus veterans and other tougher foes. I feel like scepter needs a real boost, particularly on its auto attack. Compare Confusion every 3 swings and a melee range clone with no abilities to other auto attacks and it just isn't favourable - Making the shots explode like an engineer's pistol would give the weapon some much needed crowd control (or bounce, like the staff - but that's already been done), and add in a trait to buff the attack somehow (a blind chance? A chance to generate retaliation?) to bring up the effectiveness a bit. It could be fun, but it needs a change.

OH Sword - Paired well with the scepter for a very defensive set of weapons. No real complaint; you only take it if you plan to use the block and shatter the resulting clone, otherwise pick something more offensive.

OH Focus - Pretty much only used this for running distances, or for speed buffs when jumping. Just not strong enough in PvE, in my opinion. Maybe it's a PvP weapon, giving whole teams mobility.

OH Pistol - Tried it for a while, and still not seeing why people like it. The phantasm damage is pretty lackluster, even if it is loud and flashy. it does stay up longer, since it is a ranged phantasm, but since you seem to only really benefit from your mesmer abilities if you are shattering clones, the long-lasting pahantasm is not for me. I have to say that I avoid using too many phantasms, as it makes me not want to shatter.

OH Torch - I still really like this with a sword, and for PvE the ability to run anywhere and avoid attacks via stealth is great.

If they fix up scepter, I could see playing with it, as I like the concept. One issue I have with the mesmer as it is is the lack of AoE attacks. The off-hand weapons don't have much (you get a slow AoE from torch, and you have a bounce shot with pistol), and the staff is pretty much the only main with it. this leaves shatters, but they are difficult to use, and when you most want AoE (lots of foes) they don't last long enough to shatter more than 1, since they are being smacked down as fast as you make them.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy

Last edited by Epinephrine; July 24th, 2012 at 23:19.
Old July 24th, 2012, 17:32   #7
Jinx

SoF Members

After playing Engineer and Ele this weekend (up to 10), it quickly shows how much more AoE they have available to them compared to the Mesmer. In addition to that, the Ele (and at least Grenadier Engineer) was pretty versatile and resilient in that they have something for every occasion. I used to keep telling myself that since the Mesmer can buff allies in addition to dealing damage, it has to pay the hybrid cost. But when you see how much utility every class has, Mesmers aren't that far ahead.

Although I haven't played Mesmer since the stress tests, I still think our F1-F4 skills are not the greatest (compared to the Elementalist's, which are basically passive/weapon swaps). It's just 4 more skills you have to actively think about. Unintentionally detonating Phantasms is another thing to keep track of- at least for me, if I wanted to F1-F4 I tried to make sure I had no Phantasms up. Unless Phantasms detonate for more damage, it's a waste to blow them up when they could be helping out themselves. And the worst of all is that clones vanish if the target they were summoned against dies - even if you are still in combat.

The greatsword was great for me because I was always traveling with Safo's necro army so I rarely had to be in melee range. Kiting them with a cripple and AoE knockback wasn't difficult when I was alone though. Perhaps stacking +condition damage could make Mirror Blade decent AoE damage if you're lucky enough to get a damage debuff on them.

I've read that they are currently working on improving Mesmer, Necromancer, and Engineer(not sure about this one but there was a third) F1-F4s. I don't know what exactly they're fixing but it's comforting to know they acknowledge they're unimpressive. Personally, I'd really like if clones and phantasms became invulnerable as they run towards their target after the F1-F4 button was pressed. That way, we effectively eliminated the guessing factor of "did they hit or did they die?"

Last edited by Jinx; July 24th, 2012 at 17:41.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 14:39   #8
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Played Mesmer in stress test and came away underwhelmed - again.

In GW1 I 'got' what Mesmer was all about. Shutting down others which could be very rewarding and enjoyable, especially in PvP. I can't claim it was a profession I played much of, as - though I'm naturally a caster class - my professions of choice are always Ele or Nec (or as a mediocre Monk, back in the day).

I just hope Anet sort Mesmer out before retail otherwise I don't think many people will play them - especially people new to the game.

I'm not convinced about clones/phantasms. They die too quickly (clones basically die as soon as the mob you have been targeting has died; I think phantasms aren't mob-specific and they live on?)

It just feels like a lot of work is needed. Give it some wow-factor and fun-factor. The Ele has that in spades IMO and as others have said - is just so darn versatile in comparison.

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 20:14   #9
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I think phantasms aren't mob-specific and they live on?
No, they die too. At least, they did in BWE3.

Old August 13th, 2012, 00:41   #10
Jinx

SoF Members

I've been playing with the trait calculator and I have to say it's nice to finally see what the deeper traits were since I was always in PvE.

This is the build I'll probably be using. It's basically built around quick application and maintaining of confusion.

A silly oversight on my side while playing in BWE1 was that I forgot there are no auto-attacks in this game so ANY ACTION will tick confusion. Now without actually testing it, I can't know for sure how well it'll perform.

The weapons are Staff / Scepter + Torch. Staff for ease of application of conditions (and boons to use with Signet of Inspiration). Scepter for the clone generation and confusion application and torch for the Blind/Burn and Phantasm that blinds. Blind will also cause confusion thanks to a trait in the illusion line. Even though I adored the GS and initially planned to couple it with the staff, the scepter's confusion and quick clone generation and the torch's blind and phantasm perfectly synergized with the build's purpose.

Signet of Domination will even further boost condition damage and serves as a stun when needed. I chose the Phantasmal Disenchanter because in an earlier build I had 20% cd reduction on Phantasms. Instead, I think I would take the Human racial ("MAY LYSSA CONFOUND YOU!" - not sure what it's called ). It applies a condition to the enemy and a boon to yourself, further synergizing with both signets. Null Field was an attractive choice for the instant purge on friends and foes.

You can now generate clones by dodging, reaching 25% health, and using your weapons. Clones dying is suddenly a good thing since on death they will apply both confusion and a random condition.

The inspiration line seems to have a lot of utility and it might be something I'll look at if my group is squishy. Signet of Inspiration and Metaphysical Rejuvenation guaranties a Regeneration buff to nearby allies if I drop to 75% and combo it with SoI. For myself, I'll have the Torch cloak and the 25% cloak, in addition to Chaos Armor from the Staff.

I'm amazed at how diverse the traits are. I'm sure if we tried we can come up with a strong support / tank mesmer...

Let's hear suggestions and critiques!

Last edited by Jinx; August 13th, 2012 at 00:47.
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:42   #11
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
The weapons are Staff / Scepter + Torch. Staff for ease of application of conditions (and boons to use with Signet of Inspiration). Scepter for the clone generation and confusion application and torch for the Blind/Burn and Phantasm that blinds. Blind will also cause confusion thanks to a trait in the illusion line. Even though I adored the GS and initially planned to couple it with the staff, the scepter's confusion and quick clone generation and the torch's blind and phantasm perfectly synergized with the build's purpose.
Neat choices; I've found scepter quite weak though, and while the clone generation looks good on paper, in practice it doesn't seem very effective. In order to generate clones you need to spam your autoattck, meaning that you aren't spending your time using other attacks. My impression is that the scepter's slow attacks give you a clone every 4 seconds or so, if you do nothing but spam auto attack. Staff can generate a clone (that applies conditions!) every 10 seconds, and greatsword can generate a clone every 8 seconds; bouncing between them, then, you can generate 2 clones every 10 seconds, or roughly a clone per 5 seconds, while still getting to use attacks more damaging that your auto attack.

Scepter is fun though; the confusion ray is great with 33% longer confusion duration and traited for condition damage (if only it was AoE...). I was playing around with the "all shatters cause confusion", the scepter's confusion beam, and Cry of Frustration to get stacks of up to about 10-11 of confusion, which really does hurt your foes.

Old August 13th, 2012, 14:05   #12
Jinx

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
My impression is that the scepter's slow attacks give you a clone every 4 seconds or so, if you do nothing but spam auto attack. Staff can generate a clone (that applies conditions!) every 10 seconds, and greatsword can generate a clone every 8 seconds; bouncing between them, then, you can generate 2 clones every 10 seconds, or roughly a clone per 5 seconds, while still getting to use attacks more damaging that your auto attack.
Ah, now I've never timed it but I thought it was every 2 swings that I had a clone come up. Keep in mind that I didn't really play with a scepter that much but the abundance of clones is what I remember most from it.

If it doesn't work out, we can bring in the Greatsword to replace the Scepter/Torch. We can remove the "Blind also causes confusion" trait and add the "+1 bounce to bouncing skills". Can it visit a target more than once? (let's say bounce 4 times between 2 targets) If not, it seems kinda week outside of WvW...
Old August 13th, 2012, 23:21   #13
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Well, I haven't really timed it, but the scepter attacks seem slow (over a second, but maybe it just feel that way - I'd guess between 1 and 1.5 seconds. If you call it 1.33 you get a clone every 4 seconds), and it was every 3rd swing. I found it very frustrating that I had to basically spam auto attacks to get clones, when with GS and Staff I could be emptying better skills on them while popping clones instantaneously every 5 seconds or so. It didn't feel like I was doing much worse in terms of clone production (dodges and utilities add more), and I was dealing more damage.

Yes, bounces can hit more than once (at least, they could when I last paid attention to it).

Last edited by Epinephrine; August 13th, 2012 at 23:57.
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:12   #14
Jinx

SoF Members

Alright so I've played a lot more and I've finally hit 80. I tried a few things and I still have a lot more to play with but here's what I've found while leveling.

* Mirror Images is great (especially so if you shatter often). I underestimated this one.

* Significantly more awesome is Deceptive Evasion (15 dueling, clone on dodging)

* Stacking condition damage as a mesmer felt underwhelming to me. It was about 300 damage difference on 6 stack confusion after I stacked full condition damage gear. That and Ettins and some smart foes attack too slowly/not at all before it expires. (It's most likely because I focused on shattering for confusion when I should have stacked Warlocks: Warlocks are STRONG)

* Tried scepter / torch, both burning and clone generation were too slow. At the moment, maining staff and greatsword as second set.

* Focusing wholly on shattering and it seems to work. I'm not sure how it'll work in dungeons when bosses are dangerous to stand near. I think I can swap some traits to buff my phantasms as the build can be modified to allow it without respeccing. (20/20/0/0/30)

The general rotation is to Chaos Storm -> Mirror Images -> Dodge for a clone -> Cry of Frustration -> Dodge x2 -> Phase Retreat -> Mind Wrack -> iWarlock and repeat.

I'm using Signet of Inspiration and Signet of Domination (stun active, + condition damage passive). If someone (i.e. Epi ) is finding better results with other skills, let me know.

For an elite I was using Moa Morph but it got boring. Time Warp synergizes nicely with safo's Lich form and is a great buff to any party.

Last edited by Jinx; September 6th, 2012 at 06:16.
Old September 6th, 2012, 12:23   #15
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
* Mirror Images is great (especially so if you shatter often). I underestimated this one.

* Significantly more awesome is Deceptive Evasion (15 dueling, clone on dodging)

...(snip)...

* Focusing wholly on shattering and it seems to work. I'm not sure how it'll work in dungeons when bosses are dangerous to stand near. I think I can swap some traits to buff my phantasms as the build can be modified to allow it without respeccing. (20/20/0/0/30)

...(snip)...

I'm using Signet of Inspiration and Signet of Domination (stun active, + condition damage passive). If someone (i.e. Epi ) is finding better results with other skills, let me know.
I similarly use Mirror image, love it. And Decoy. One reason I like Decoy and Torch on my bar is that I have two invisibilities, and sword 2 makes me invulnerable while swinging. Pretty good survival. When exploring to get areas I generally have my torch and decoy on with Portal to get access to areas. A more typical combat bar for me is Feedback, Mirror Image, and Decoy; with deceptive evasion you have great clone generation. I use Time Warp as my elite, as it works well in groups, and for stacking conditions with staff clones or underwater clones.