Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:35   #16
Scarto
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I didnt look that much into the guardian but from podcasts I hear more and more that the guardian is a real pita in sPvP.

A comment from a semi-pro player about guardians in sPvP: "Do not attack a guardian alone".

They are die hard to kill and the perfect class to protect nodes in sPvP. I guess I ll have to start one too, even if it is only to get to know the class and its weaknesses better.

This was also the only class (besides very good thieves) I couldnt kill in 1 vs 1 fights in WvW.

Scarto.3260
Scarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:48   #17
tmakinen
Plush doll

SoF Councillors

Guardian is one of the three "high resilience" classes (the other two being Necro and Ranger, with each profession achieving this property in a different way). Guardian has about as much blocking capacity as all the other professions combined, making it highly impervious to physical attacks, with many opportunities to blind opponents as well. A Sword+Shield+Mace+Focus Guardian can achieve over 90% shutdown of a single physical opponent. Combined with ubiquitous healing, both inherent and skill based, it makes Guardian the best profession for recovering from a difficult situation.

Ranger might currently be the most forgiving solo PvE profession but Guardian comes right behind in solo viability (its only major vulnerability are ranged mobs that chill), and the choice between these two depends on play style preference: do you want to fight from a position of relative safety while the pet plays pin cushion, or do you prefer a more in-your-face approach.

GW1: Valet Parking GW2: tmakinen.1048

Jeremy the Bear says: Everybody needs a hug!

Last edited by tmakinen; August 14th, 2012 at 09:52.
tmakinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 15:39   #18
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmakinen View Post
Combined with ubiquitous healing, both inherent and skill based, it makes Guardian the best profession for recovering from a difficult situation.
Can I please do my first dungeon run with someone playing Guardian then?? After getting steam-rollered last time, we could do with someone heavily geared toward defence

On the subject of rolling one - across the BWEs and stress tests, twice I have rolled a Gdn and both times I didn't - personally - much enjoy playing it (relative to the other toons I've created). Still not really sure why. I think the damage dealing felt low and I think both time I was soloing (which is unlike me as I much prefer being in a group).

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 15:45   #19
Velvet
Den Mother

SoF Councillors

Well, I know my son will be rolling a guardian and it will probably be his main. However, he is 13, and he is still learning about "teamwork" in MMOs. Hopefully by the time we are at-level for dungeons then he will be skilled at that role in a team setting.

He's SOOO excited for the game to come out - just like his mom!

GW1: Velvet Darkshadow (N)~Lily Goldenrod (Rit)~Neysa Pearldrop (Mo)~Syrenia Longbow (R)~Calypso Dragonheart (W)~
Melodie Dewshine (E)~Darien Archangel (P)~Paige Diamond (D)~Velvet of Fortuna (PvP)
GW2: Velvet.8610
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 19:07   #20
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Ferret View Post

It is also best not to use knockbacks too much unless you’re being pounded on my half a dozen foes in PvP. It’s difficult enough trying to close the gap, especially against ranged players, but by knocking your opponent back, you’re giving him/her an opportunity to kite and get away.
First off, quite the time investment in writing all that down, Marcus.
In general, I think you're right on the Guardian, altough time will prove us both wrong, i'm sure of that.

The knockback however, is something I disagree upon. The knockback should not be used in a 'panic button' style of way. The recharge is way too long on all skills with any potential, compared to their GW1 counterparts.

The knockback should be used for critical moments only, and to buy time for your other (previously used) skills to recharge.

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:18   #21
Grey Mouser
Keeper of the [DOG] Pound

SoF Members

I played as a group tank Guardian in the last two BWEs with my wife. Basically, I ran around with my greatsword and aggro'd everything in sight, like Marcus mentioned, then I used the Retribution symbol combined with the spin attack while the wife attacked from afar with her Engineer. It proved to be a pretty effective combination. The sheer damage of the greatsword, combined with the Guardian's inherent defenses, then stack all of the conditions the Engineer can on the mobs, things fell pretty quickly.

Definitely going to be one of my main go-to professions. Not as flashy as a Mesmer or an Elementalist, but it gets the job done. The profession definitely shines in group settings, although I would recommend against going full healer-spec in dungeons. Just not enough damage output to deal with the trash when you have to split up to do triggers, etc.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:22   #22
Marcus Ferret
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkert View Post
First off, quite the time investment in writing all that down, Marcus.
In general, I think you're right on the Guardian, altough time will prove us both wrong, i'm sure of that.

The knockback however, is something I disagree upon. The knockback should not be used in a 'panic button' style of way. The recharge is way too long on all skills with any potential, compared to their GW1 counterparts.

The knockback should be used for critical moments only, and to buy time for your other (previously used) skills to recharge.
Think we both got the same idea, just different ways of putting it

Marcus Ferret [R] l Jade Felicity Rose [W] l Divine Azure Rose [M] l Xavier Light [Rit] l Crystal Autumn Rose [W] PvP l Spicy Asia [D] PvP l

'War tends to separate the weak from the strong... Peace separates us from reality... In life, we shall encounter our personal battles... In death, we discover peace...' ~ J. Marcus (1972-20??)
Marcus Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:12   #23
Sabre Wolf
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Send a message via AIM to Sabre Wolf Send a message via MSN to Sabre Wolf Send a message via Skype™ to Sabre Wolf
Norn Guardian has been my planned main. And although The Warrior has been very alluring, I am going to stick with the Guardian only because of the massive utility that he can bring besides straight combat. That and I am starting to warm up to him now that I finally found a build set that works thanks to Marcus and Makkert.

Main Weapon Set: Sword/Shield
As usual for me, I rock out with the Sword in my Main hand. And as I mentioned before, every profession that has a Sword option forthe Main hand, has some sort of mobility base attack skill to use. And in this case, Flashing Blade fill that spot and allows for a blindness to get and added defensive jump to the target around me. Add that to my multi target damage skills of Zealots Defense and Shield of Judgement gives a good damage burst. Plus the addition of Shield of Absorption which is mostly used for crowd control.

Secondary Weapon Set: Staff
Using the Staff as a secondary option is mostly targeted for WvW. I have found that being a melee based profession trying to defend a door to a tower, or when traveling across the wide open spaces, I need to change hats into a support roll. For this reason, the staff grants everything that is needed. And one of the most versitile skills on the staff is the Symbol of Swiftness which can be use to AoE attackers or an added speed boost when "Retreat!" is on cool down. The combonation of the two offers 36s of increased movement to allies!

Utility and Healing:
For these skills, I stack Signets for PvE, and Shouts for WvW.

The Signets of Resolve, Bane, Judgement and Wrath are compounded with the Signet Mastery and Perfect insciptions Traits.

For WvW, I swap the Signets out for Shouts like "Retreat!" and "Hold the Line!". I keep Bane for a Ranged KD, but respect some of my Radience Traits into Honor for Superior Aria and Two-Handed Mastery. With that combo, I can use that 36s of speed boosting with only 12s of total cooldown.

Sabre Wolf.1657 | YouTube Channel | GW1 Skill Folder (04/10/10)

Last edited by Sabre Wolf; September 4th, 2012 at 02:32.
Sabre Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:29   #24
tmakinen
Plush doll

SoF Councillors

My guardian is built around the greatsword since it gives the best PvE CC and AoE DPS. The secondary, defensive set is a mace + focus combo, and I also carry a staff to replace the greatsword for those situations where getting close up and personal just isn't an option (like most melee hate group event bosses).

My traits are 30/0/0/30/10 with the essential trait choices being +5% GS damage, GS attacks heal, 20% faster recharge on two-handed weapon skills, and all symbols heal allies.

I prefer Shelter for healing because of the block, and Smite Condition has been permanently nailed down to slot #7 (those two, as well as dodge, are bound to mouse side buttons). I change the two other utility skills as situation warrants, with "Retreat!", Wall of Reflection, Bane Signet and Signet of Judgement being the common choices. I find guardian elites lacking and have been carrying Mistfire Wolf in the elite slot, but might switch that to the Hounds of Balthazar at some point.

I'm switching the weapon set actively while in a fight. I usually start with GS#5 to tag all mobs in the vicinity, then use GS#5 again to pull them all in a tight pile, immediately followed by GS#4 for area blind, then GS#2 to plant a symbol and GS#3 for damage. Switching over to the second set, if I'm facing multiple mobs I usually start with F#5, then plant the second symbol with M#2 and autoattack until a block is needed at which point I use M#3 followed by F#4 for another area blind. After one or two autoattacks I can switch back and repeat the GS#4, GS#2, GS#3 combo if something is still alive. It's a very straightforward and effective playstyle - everything I do heals me and damages mobs. With decent gear I can take on a couple of endgame veterans and an arbitrary number of trash mobs at the same time and still prevail.

GW1: Valet Parking GW2: tmakinen.1048

Jeremy the Bear says: Everybody needs a hug!
tmakinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 23:54   #25
Sabre Wolf
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Send a message via AIM to Sabre Wolf Send a message via MSN to Sabre Wolf Send a message via Skype™ to Sabre Wolf
Ya i find the Guardian skills lacking... which means...

WOLF FORM!!!

Which is kinda cool and funny because Wolf Form has party buffs, heals, KD and is a Melee fighter! So its like turning into a Guardian!

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:03   #26
Sabre Wolf
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

So after further playing on the Guardian, I have found that in PvE, I am starting to warm up to the Greatsword when running with a lot of other people, or when there are a lot of mobs. However, in solo duals vs bosses and champion skill points, I find the Sword/Shield combo to be the better choice. Staff is still my secondary in either case for the range attacks and the 3rd skill for movement speed boosts while running around the map and "Retreat!" is recharging.

Old November 14th, 2012, 16:13   #27
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Finally got started with a Guardian and am in my mid teens. Quite an enjoyable class, and I think it could be very good for some dungeons. I'm currently using Mace+Torch, with the staff as my weapon swap.

Staff is an amazing weapon; I love Staff 4 to provide might to myself and teammates. A buddy and I have our guardians that travel together, and before aggroing a group we'll both channel might, and then we engage with 24 stacks of might up. Things just melt. We've also gotten pretty good at using staff 5 to box things in when working with an elementalist, holding enemies away from us in hallways/tunnels, or pinning them into a corner.

Mace is solid, and I like setting things on fire with my torch - I may see about something more defensive. I'm still picking up my first few utility skills, and I don't have any traits yet, so we'll see what that brings to the table. Looking forward to reading about how others are finding the guardian, and how they play.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 18:41   #28
Racthoh
Advanced Shiverpeaks

Forum Members

Send a message via MSN to Racthoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
Staff is an amazing weapon; I love Staff 4 to provide might to myself and teammates. A buddy and I have our guardians that travel together, and before aggroing a group we'll both channel might, and then we engage with 24 stacks of might up. Things just melt. We've also gotten pretty good at using staff 5 to box things in when working with an elementalist, holding enemies away from us in hallways/tunnels, or pinning them into a corner.
I run the staff with two superior rune of water, monk, and fire, for the increased boon duration and then extra duration on might. This, combined with the 20% reduction on two handed skills from the Honor line works wonders with Empower. I'm a huge fan of the staff just for the five target hitting auto-attack.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 14:06   #29
anomander
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

So far I have not been a great fan of the staff on my Guardian (as I am on my Ele), but that has mainly to do with the fact that I do a lot of my Guardian stuff alone so far and that is of course not what the Guardian (and GW) is meant for. Alone I use the combination Greatsword and Scepter/Focus to switch out between close combat and more ranged work, sometimes darting in-and-out-of groups or tough opponents.
As I was mostly monk in gw1 I am certainly going to give the staff with these suggestions another try. The inflexible Trait setup may interfere with that though. It would be nice if you could link your Trait setup with the 2 weapons you swap for optimized effect.
anomander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 14:51   #30
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
I run the staff with two superior rune of water, monk, and fire, for the increased boon duration and then extra duration on might. This, combined with the 20% reduction on two handed skills from the Honor line works wonders with Empower. I'm a huge fan of the staff just for the five target hitting auto-attack.
I hadn't thought about how much one could boost this - my guardian is low-level still, but I was planning to invest in virtues anyway, so perhaps this will be my route as well. +30% duration from virtues, +50% from items, and reduced cooldown would allow for pretty much constant support of your team. I guess that you need to get the Monk runes with dungeon tokens? I'm guessing that rune of Santuary is bugged, or you'd be running two superior runes of Sanctuary instead of Fire? Would it be worth dropping to two major runes for +10% boon duration, or is the +20% Might duration a better idea?
2* Water for +15% Boon Duration
2* Monk for +15% Boon Duration

Then +20% Might duration (superior runes) or +10% Boon Duration (major runes)
for either +30% Boon Duration/+50% for Might or a flat +40% on all boons.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy

Last edited by Epinephrine; November 22nd, 2012 at 18:28.
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote