Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2012, 14:21   #16
FrogDevourer
Retired Tyrannosaur

Administrators

I had read many similar comments about the thief. Once I settled with a gameplay I enjoyed it was okay. I just didn't understand what was offered in return for the squishiness and clumsy initiative mechanics. Your PvP example and higher level dungeons might be the missing blocks of my limited experience.

"You are forcing me to be the voice of reason. And thatís not a good look for me!" - B.Stinson
FrogDevourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 15:01   #17
Kazgoroth
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I have always played a Thief in other games, especially WoW, where I was a PvP fool. I used to use my Rogue as a backstab/ambusher way before it was ever cool for PvP. I could almost always 2 shot clothe wearers, so I just used to stealth behind enemy lines and find their priests and mages, and stab stab and run. Good times.

I am looking at making a thief and using dual daggers and dual pistols. I played with them some during BWE's and really enjoyed them until I ran outta initiative. I think I want to make a build with 30/30/10 Trickery, Crit, Deadly Arts. Building with skills that help regenerate initiative, and lengthen my conditions applied. I am gonna play a Charr, just for style.....

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYIQ...Th69gsjtraFkJA
Here is the build I am thinking about.....please give me some advice! Thx!!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 21:48   #18
Radu Deucalion
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I didn't play in the BWE but I've been maining a Thief since launch and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I don't really feel squishy at all, I don't like the term tank, because I don't tank, but with a mix of blind, and stealth, an with no cool down on skills, I'm able to handle things quite well and can quickly stealth and heal up, use blind and backstab to kill things quickly.

My usually use D/P and SB, with the #3 skill you close the distance fast, then use #5 to blind, and #2 to leap through the smoke field and land in stealth, then either backstab or get away if injured. I've also been using shadow refuge for an added heal and support, with it traited to give regen to allies.

The main thing with the thief is it is fast. It feels so much faster than other classes with no cooldowns. I know you nee to manage ini, but it seems to regen fast, and you have a lot of flexibility.

Radu Deucalion ~ Radu Bene Elohim ~ Radu Danvers ~ Merihim Radu ~ Radinia Walker ~ Radu Hapexamendios ~ Radu Boamiel
Radu Deucalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:42   #19
relt
truant

SoF Members

I agree, Radu, a very fast paced class. And don't forget dodging and evade skills, because that is a huge part of thief longevity. I'm actually finding myself enjoying dual pistols a lot for soloing, and caltrops is possibly my best friend.

GW: Relt Dragcar R/ GW2: relt.6189
relt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 19:54   #20
Skipjack
Reef

Forum Members

Tips and Tricks

Listing of tips for all you shady characters out there...

When your Main hand weapon is a Dagger don't open with Heartseaker to close the gap open with steal, Heartseaker is great for finishing an opponent and closing the gap if your steal ability is down.

You can open chests while in stealth so no need to fight those pesky mobs guarding it.

If you ever need to run away, nothing beats the shortbow. The 5th ability allows for your toon to teleport where he shoots, that combined with the 35% speed increase ability no one can catch you.

Use your aoe stealth abilities when your friends are low and getting chased by the bosses, or use them on a downed player to make the rez that much easier.
Skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 15:47   #21
relt
truant

SoF Members

Caltrops is my best friend in PvE. He is always in the first skill slot.

Scorpion Wire is my new best friend for PvP--not a huge range, but just enough to snag the enemy when they realize you are about to destroy them.

Basilisk Venom looks awesome, but don't spend the skill points on it. 2 sec cast for a 1 sec stun. PvE or PvP, it does nothing noticeable.

Combo finishers! You have lots of them and if you run a dagger/x with a shortbow, you have all of them. With dagger/dagger all you miss out on is blast. Learn what combos with what, or just do the finisher whenever you see a field and you will see fun stuff happen. Most of the combos come from other players, but you can create four different types yourself. Smoke screen can come from various sources, but most noticeably your /p 5 slot ability--the smoke screen hangs around for a bit so you can constantly keep your foe blinded with those projectile finishers, or you can steal with a leap (if you are d/p). Dark comes from shadow refuge, which is really nifty because you get a heal, you are stealthed, and with a whirl or a projectile, you get another heal from the steal health. Poison is obviously poison cloud which lets you spread weakness and poison to everybody. My favorite though, is Throw Gunk, which nets you an ethereal field which gets you chaos armor and confusion based on your finisher. Yay combos!

Old September 27th, 2012, 15:49   #22
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Basilisk Venom is the only elite that works underwater.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 13:26   #23
Skipjack
Reef

Forum Members

I find myself hating the underwater as a thief.

Also to note on the Scorpion Wire, you can pull people standing on the edge of walls down off in WvW. I love to see them panic when we do that
Old September 29th, 2012, 14:18   #24
relt
truant

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunter View Post
Basilisk Venom is the only elite that works underwater.
True that. I don't think I've ever used it though, I can't imagine it being any more useful there.

As for underwater, I think it is just a hard adjustment. I can't say I hate it, because I'm not very good at it. However, I can say that I don't feel like I'm playing a thief when I'm underwater, but maybe with practice there is more of the thief feel down there.

Old September 29th, 2012, 16:56   #25
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Thief is excellent 1v1 with a spear. The two main problems a thief has underwater is no AoE damage and very little condition removal.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 17:36   #26
Skipjack
Reef

Forum Members

Agree i can solo most things with average attack speed underwater, but the lack of condition removal and limited AoE makes clearing trash miserable.

Yeah I feel more like a ranged warrior for some reason when i go underwater with my thief. Possible the lack of stealth and mobility?
Old October 1st, 2012, 22:13   #27
Queto
Seeker Shing Jea

SoF Members

Harpoon gun 3 and spear 4 give you some mobility, but indeed the lack of AoE makes some underwater fights harder. Kiting melees is easy enough, although those krait that pull you can make that enervating too.
Queto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:25   #28
relt
truant

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunter View Post
Thief is excellent 1v1 with a spear. The two main problems a thief has underwater is no AoE damage and very little condition removal.
Ask and ye shall receive:

Quote:
The following profession skills now hit 3 targets instead of 1:
Thief Spear: Stab, Jab, Poison Tip Strike, Nine Tailed Strike

Old October 5th, 2012, 20:55   #29
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I roll dual dagger on my thief [keep wanting to type rogue out of habit] and have yet to find a real downside to it. Thanks to the 5th slot when it comes to running away I can simply slap anything with the offhand dagger and vanish into stealth at any time giving me 3 seconds to run to safety. The 25% movement speed sigil definitely helps with that as well. I managed to run across 3 zones of Orr to my next story target without fighting a single creature just by stealth slapping everything as I approached it. It does cut into the loot you get but you travel 10 times faster and with a much lower risk of death. Added bonus: You're not a jerk who's aggro-slinging mobs onto other people just trying to stay alive when you sprint through a zone.

As far as underwater goes, if you've got a spear you can 1v1-1v3 anything with very little physical damage. A simple rotation of spamming the 5th slot until you're down to 3 initiative then switching to slot 3 and blocking/countering every move until your initiative is back. Rinse and repeat. Using that I took out a Veteran krait and his two sidekicks while only losing 10% of my health. It takes a bit of practice to get the timing right on the blocks, once in a while you've have to cut one short in order to stop the next attack, but once you get the hang of it underwater is soggy cake.
ErikLeifsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 16:00   #30
Queto
Seeker Shing Jea

SoF Members

Thief WvW build

For all our WvW thieves, this might be an interesting read. I've used that build for a few months now and I really fell in love with S/D: with Infiltrator's Strike and your Shadowstep utility you can warp in and out of battle on demand. If you haven't played S/D in PvP yet, you should give it a try
Queto is offline   Reply With Quote