Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old September 12th, 2012, 02:39   #31
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

Interesting. I can see how the play style really affects the skill choice. I usually will not take on more than two or maybe threes mobs at a time, but maybe I ought to give this a try. It would certainly speed up some hearts and experience gain. Thanks for sharing.

GW1: Vai Demine | GW2 Account: vaidemine.7285
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 14:02   #32
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

Here's what I've been playing with lately, especially for farming fine crafting materials.

Old September 21st, 2012, 18:54   #33
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

I started off with the Engineer.
I came recently to the conclusion that I played the class wrong.
One has to play all the classes to understand the position of one class in the spectrum.

Where the Engineer belongs, I can not say yet with certainty. I have however a strong believe that it should be build defensively.

The Engineer does not outdamage some other classes. The warrior and ranger beat the Engineer in this department, this is my current vision on the spectrum.

My current build has great synergy, but made this flaw. It was build for damage.
I use Rifle and flamehrower kit.
20 explosives 5, 6
30 fire arms 4, 9 , 11
20 alchmemy 6, 7

This gives the flamethrower 15% damage boost, 200 thoughness while using the flamethower + 6 stacks of continious might, and gives the rifle increased range and damage.
'Flamethrower solves all', is a punchline often heard in vent these days. The AoE and decent damage of the Flamethrower is usually too good to pass up in PvE. The other skills of the flamethrower kit are quite solid as well, with a knockback and a blind. Flamethrower 2 is a little bit buggy, as it tends to flow through enemies. you need a wall behind an enemy for effect. The hitboxes for the flamethrower are pretty silly. you can clearly visually miss, but still hit.
I think the flamethrower is the choice for solo play pve, as it does the most damage for the engineer.

The synergy is that the toolskill of the flamethrower gives burning to the shots of the rifle. The rifle enables you to push / snare enemies when needed , or keep your distance.

Heal skill of choice is usually med kit, but occasionly the turret. The turret's advantage is that it is more of a teamskill. They dont have to go back to pick up a pack, and the range is decent.

Elite is usually Supply Crate. The other choices for elite seem rather poor, altough the Grenth's one may proof interesting in the end. The Mortar is really a WvW skill. But usually easily dispatched on forts by barrage rangers and meteor storm ele's. I've found a certain spot that may be interesting for a mortar to be placed, but that remains to be tested.
What is ofter overlooked is that the mortar can be used offensively, by raining down on NPCs of supply camps while a teammate holds the aggro. That is quite usefull.

The other 2 utility slots vary. Elixer B is a solid pick. Note that the toolkit variant has a wrong skilldescription. It gives one random boon to allies, not all.
Utlitliy goggles is a solid pick, not only for the stunbreaker (ok, but nothing special), but also the appliciance of weakness on the toolkit skill.

Elixer C (c for condiremoval) is recommended for certain places like TA dungeon.

The turrets are kind of a PvE deal. the toolkill skill is a selfdetonate, and not interesting anywhere else. Of the turrets, i would recommend the Thumper turret, since it's beefy statuture holds aggro a lot better then the other turrets.

Now, recent insights indicate that the grenade kit is, for dungeon purposes, probably the way to go. The utility provided by this kit is really good (blind, slow, long lasting poison field). Damage is usually already applied in other ways, so provide your team with utility the best you can.
Under water, the grenade kit is really your friend. Devastating at melee range.
It is the kit to switch too in wvw while defending.

So far, my insights.

~ Makk.

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.

Last edited by makkert; September 22nd, 2012 at 09:39.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:38   #34
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkert View Post
Under water, the grenade kit is really your friend.
I just discovered this a day or two ago. In melee range or not, the grenades don't launch toward your target underwater, they just hit it directly. Just spamming #1 over and over underwater nukes things amazingly fast compared to your speargun. It's the only viable underwater weapon for an Engineer at this point that I've found.

Old October 9th, 2012, 20:04   #35
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Just to update here, my engineer is really coming together. Much like Jeno said about how her ranger looks for challenges by going far beyond her level, my Engineer can handle way more than my mesmer can. I recall my mesmer having trouble with foes 2 levels above him while leveling up, only taking on 1-2 foes (sure, I could handle more sometimes, but I fought 4 wargs a level above me and it was a harrowing experience).

My engineer was taking on groups of foes 5-7 levels above him (I recall him at level 24, taking on 5 level 31 foes in Gendarran Fields), relatively easily. As long as the foes are melee, I can kite and kill. My weakness is ranged foes, here I have to stick much more closely to my level, especially if they kite a lot.

I'm still running pistol/shield with bombs as my main swap. My traits have been revamped a bit; I'm running 20 explosives/20 Alchemy right now, and my end build will be 20 Explosives/30 Inventions/20 Alchemy, for +200 Power, +300 Toughness, and +200 Vitality (also, +20% condition duration, +300 Healing Power, and +20% boon duration).

I am built very defensively, running Knight's and Valkyrie's gear to maximise my effective health while also having some damage output, I may tweak the balance a bit more toward toughness after level 60, as my self-healing will go up at that point, making toughness more valuable than vitality.

Weapons (pistol/shield) are both Knight's gear. At level 60 I'll swap in the trait that grants +90 toughness when using a shield, which will ensure that I gain a lot of toughness when I swap away from bombs to use a pistol/shield on a ranged foe. Since ranged is my nemesis, and I have to fight them using pistol/shield, it only makes sense to boost my defenses while on pistol. With all traits in and end-game gear, I'll have about 88% more effective health than base, and substantially more armour and health than most warrior builds. My damage output won't be the highest around, but I'll provide continual support via the trait "Bombs Heal Allies" as well as my exploiting the various combo fields with my bombs; I frequently supply at least 6 stacks of Might to everyone around me, and I've hit 12 or 15 in some fights.

Runes of the Engineer are +Toughness/+Condition damage (hinting at the important stats for engineers?), but I find more of my damage is coming from the explosions themselves, so I'm going to lean toward power from my runes (grenades put out more conditions that deal damage than bombs do). My plan is to gear up with a sigil of Bloodlust on my pistol to gain a bonus that I can actually carry over to my kits, and some form of support sigil on the shield (not sure yet). As for runes, I'm currently torn between two very solid offensive rune sets: Superior Runes of Strength and Superior Runes of the Pack.

Strength runes offer +165 power, +20% Might duration, a chance at Might when hit, and +5% damage while under might. I generate a lot of Might (using fire field and combo:blasts) as well as having +20% boon duration, so the odds are that I have Might up in any fight.

Runes "of the Pack" offer +165 Power, +100 Precision, and +20% Swiftness duration, with a chance to grant boons to your allies when hit. The higher precision puts the base damage higher in this setup than with Strength runes, but as soon as you have Might runes up the other set pulls ahead thanks to the +5% damage. 20% swiftness would be handy when running around in WvW and PvE though, and buffing allies is nice.

Either of these are stronger than most +165/+50 rune sets in terms of damage output, and offer advantages that are handy for my build. I'll probably go with Strength for the extra damage, but they're both interesting options. Runes of the Elementalist look like another solid choice for an engineer, particularly one that uses grenades (+165 Power, +57 Condition damage, and 20% longer burns and chills), but not as solid for me.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 15:20   #36
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Elite is usually Supply Crate. The other choices for elite seem rather poor, altough the Grenth's one may proof interesting in the end. The Mortar is really a WvW skill. But usually easily dispatched on forts by barrage rangers and meteor storm ele's.
I tend to take Inventions IX in my build (Elite Supplies), which grants the Supply Crate extra supplies, and increases the range of the Mortar. Extra range makes it a little tougher for foes to take out.

Quote:
The turrets are kind of a PvE deal. the toolkill skill is a selfdetonate, and not interesting anywhere else.
The self-detonate of the turrets are combo:blast finishers. This makes them very useful in many areas, to buff your team. My build runs a fire combo field (as the flamethrower can provide, I believe). I can generate a lot of might for my team, which should help in PvE or WvW.

Quote:
Of the turrets, i would recommend the Thumper turret, since it's beefy statuture holds aggro a lot better then the other turrets.
I also like the thumper - in part for its combo abilities. The toolbelt skill is a combo:blast finisher, detonating it is a combo:blast finisher, and the "thump" active skill while it is deployed? A combo:blast finisher. You can generate 9 stacks of might for all allies in the area with this turret alone; at level 80 that's +315 Power and +315 Condition damage for multiple people; even assuming a fairly Power heavy group it should be +15% damage or so for each ally, so with 5 of you affected you've almost added an additional attacker worth of damage. If you have a pair of other turrets to detonate you can grant +12 might (+15 if you can manage all 5 boosts); using the bomb kit (my PvE preference) I have a 6th combo:blast finisher, so I can in theory stack up +18 might for everyone, though I seldom manage to coordinate more than +12-15 might at a time. It's still a respectable amount of extra damage, even if you are not directly dealing it.

Last night I discovered that when there are many combo fields up you aren't guaranteed to get the one you think you are getting with your finisher - I'm not sure how it decides priority of combos, but instead of handing out Might I was frequently handing out Retaliation.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy

Last edited by Epinephrine; October 11th, 2012 at 16:00.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 22:33   #37
ErikLeifsen
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I'm not 100% on this but with my purely kit based [flamethrower/grenade/bomb] build do your actual weapons do nothing? It seems like any stats they have, inherent/sigil/gem, do absolutely nothing when you've got a kit out. This seems to mean that I could basically run around technically unarmed and fight just as effectively as if I had dual exotic weapons. To test it I equipped two pistols both stacked with power/precision in their stats and with gems, equipped my flamethrower and watched my power and crit chance drop, but the weird part is for some unexplained reason my attack went noticeably up. I'm thinking the kit weapons have their own invisible stats but I really have no idea how to verify or debunk this. It does make me a bit sad to think that if at 80 I do get an exotic pistol and shield none of their stats will mean a thing during combat.

I did do a small test and for about 20 levels [from level 20-40] left my weapons as level 20 blues and found that I had zero damage output variation when I upgraded to level 40 greens.
Old November 13th, 2012, 21:46   #38
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

So, my level 80 Engineer is finished, and while I have to finish acquiring my exotics, I am pretty much done.

My main PvE/Dungeon build uses bombs as a support weapon, and relies on high armour and two self-healing traits to diminish incoming damage while increasing my healing effectiveness. I do not boost my heals, however, as I want to be dealing damage, and the heals I provide don't seem to benefit much from it, given that I have +300 Healing Power from traits.

Bomb-healing support build
Explosives 20 (+200 power, +20% condition duration; Forceful Explosions, Short Fuse) for Bigger bombs and faster bomb recharge.
Inventions 30 (+300 toughness, +300 Healing Power; Elixir Infused Bombs, Explosive Descent, Elite Supplies) for healing bombs, better elites (added range on mortar, another turret and supplies with supply kit), and less falling damage (I like jumping puzzles, what can I say)
Alchemy 20 (+200 vitality, +20% Boon duration; Protection Injection, Backpack Regenerator) for regeneration* while using a kit and an auto defense against disabling attacks

My Armour is mostly equivalent to Invader's (POWER/toughness/vitality) for a lot of health and defenses, and my jewelery is primarily Emerald X of the Berserker (Emerald base with Ruby slotted in). For weapons, I have Knight's Pistol and Shield - my toughness is +180 when I have my weapons out, which helps when running around or against ranged guys that are tough to bomb.

I was originally using Runes of Strength, but I decided to swap for a more supportive option with Runes of the Pack, which also helps me get around better (+165 Power, +100 Precision, +20% swiftness duration, apply a boon to nearby allies when you attack (5%)).

My slot 7 and 8 are Thumper Turret and Bomb Kit. These are staples.
My slot 9 is often Elixir B, though I swap this sometimes if I won't be running around. If you can get another explosion here it's very nice (any turret will work, I like flame turret, otherwise, mines will work).
Slot 6 is Healing Turret in PvE/Dungeons, and if I have time to swap it in. For running about it's the healing kit.
Slot 10 is generally the Supply Kit (turrets and healing packs), but for towers and such in WvW and some PvE I use the mortar. The improved Mortar range is lovely, as you can be outside of the 1200 range of most folks and still be shelling them.

Between the skill 5 of the healing kit and the Elixir B, with +40% swiftness duration, I can travel pretty fast.

Use:
One principle thing I do is stack might on my allies. Bomb 2 puts up a fire combo field, and I have Healing Turret and Thumper turret as well as the Big Ol' Bomb. Drop your turrets, plant the big ol' Bomb, and hit Bomb 2. When the fire appears, activate your thumper's active "thump", then detonate both turrets; you may even have time for Shockwave. This will stack 12-15 Might on you and your allies, for about 20 seconds.

With Healing Turret, Thumper Turret, Bomb kit, and Flame turret, you have
Combo fields:
Fire (Bomb 2)
Smoke (x2) (Bomb 4, Activ skill on Flame turret)
Water (Healing turret)

And you have several combo finisher (blast):
Bomb kit toolbar skill (Big Ol' Bomb)
Healing turret toolbar skill (detonate)
Flame turret toolbar skill (detonate)
Thumper turret toolbar skill (Shockwave)
Thumper turret active skill (Thump)
Thumper turret toolbar skill (detonate)

At level 80 and 12-15 stack of might, that's +420 to +525 Power and Condition damage on your party. You are adding a whole extra character worth of damage if you catch 5 people with this**. If you will need the extra healing and support in a big fight, drop the supply kit and don't detonate your healing turret; this will add two overlapping healing turrets pulsing away, which is even more group support.

**Assuming your party is geared offensively, they will likely have 2200+ power, or 1200+ Condition damage. 420 Power from might would be 20% or so, on 5 guys, adding up to a whole extra player worth of damage. Likewise, you can hit over 1200 condition damage with a condition build, but adding another 420-525 condition damage will up your damage output by 20% or so, so condition-based damage is also going up. My engineer has ~2200 power and I think is fairly offensive at that figure, +420 is ~19%, and 525 is ~24% for him.

The idea is then to deal damage while healing your allies, by bombing like mad. Each bomb is a heal, and has a chance of buffing them. Use the blind to reduce incoming damage, swap to pistol to blind as well, and back into bombs to keep the health gain going. Whenever you can buff the might again you should do so. You have enough health to take a few hits, so you can get right in the action, though feel free to dodge and run back in, since you create a bomb just by dodging.

Solo you can probably handle any PvE Melee group by kiting them in a circle dropping bombs.

In WvW, you can help at gates by spamming your bombs to keep health up, while the water eles also heal everyone. If you are attacking or defending a tower/keep, the mortar is handy to shell the walls/attackers. WHen running about, the Supply kit is nice, as you can drop it on foes to stun them and add healing for your allies. FIghting in that area will make your group a lot tougher.

For added resilience, I sometimes run Mango Pies as my consumable; this adds 700 health and +85 health per second regeneration. Since I'm getting ~125 per second from Backpack regenerator and ~170 per bomb, that's getting close to 400 health per second. If you have a healing turret down and a supply kit (another healing turret) the healing per second can keep up with a lot of incoming damage.

Last edited by Epinephrine; December 12th, 2012 at 17:18.
Old November 14th, 2012, 20:16   #39
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

That's a great build, Epi. Not my personal preference, but that's because I can't stand being anywhere enemies. I prefer to knock them down at range without them ever touching me, but that means a lot of one-on-one and not taking groups at a time, which your build appears to be able to handle pretty well.

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:48   #40
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

I have found Engineer a lot of fun in WvW in particular. The grenade toolkit is really very good for AOE'ing walls and for keep defence. You have so many AOE skills at your disposable it's just a lot of fun.

The bit I haven't liked is the lack of speed buffs. Large contrast to going Ele or even Nec where you can speed around the maps pretty easily. But the Runes of the Pack should help in this regard; good tip.

I am only low 30s and got my first elite yesterday (Supply Crate) which is fun to drop in the heat of action.

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 17:33   #41
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
The bit I haven't liked is the lack of speed buffs.
Engineers are speed demons compared to mesmers.

To run around, my engineer swaps two skills - I change my normal heal for the healing kit, and I change my skill 9 for Elixir B.

Even for those with no boost to boon duration or elixir recharge these allow a fair bit of speed. The Drop Stimulant from the med kit is 10 seconds of Swiftness every 20 seconds, and the Elixir B is 10 seconds of swiftness every 40 seconds. You thus get ~30 seconds of swiftness every 40 seconds, which is pretty nice.

It helps that I have +20% boon duration from traits, and +20% swiftness duration from my runes of the pack; this makes elixir B last ~14 seconds, and the Drop Stimulant from the Med Kit also has ~14 seconds of swiftness. I thus get 14+14+14=~42seconds of swiftness every 40 seconds. I sometimes end up with a bit of downtime between activations, because of poor timing of the recharges, but I can have speed up almost constantly when running places. When you arrive, immediately switch your skills back. If I am running magic find food (+32% MF% while under boon, +X% boon duration) it's probably even easier to keep the swiftness up.

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:22   #42
pegason
Advanced Shiverpeaks

GotS Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
The bit I haven't liked is the lack of speed buffs.
The Engineer has perma Swiftness (and Vigor if you like to). Look up the minor trait "Speedy Kits" under tools. You gain 5 seconds of swiftness every time you equip a kit. With the Med Kit alone you can keep it up. This also saves your Drop Stimulant for combat situations or for your allies (you can even drop it for the Dolyaks in w3). Fury from Drop Stimulant is also too good a boon to waste for just running around.

Last edited by pegason; January 8th, 2013 at 10:27.
pegason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 13:23   #43
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegason View Post
The Engineer has perma Swiftness (and Vigor if you like to). Look up the minor trait "Speedy Kits" under tools. You gain 5 seconds of swiftness every time you equip a kit. With the Med Kit alone you can keep it up. This also saves your Drop Stimulant for combat situations or for your allies (you can even drop it for the Dolyaks in w3). Fury from Drop Stimulant is also too good a boon to waste for just running around.
Only useful if you invest in Tools, but yes. My builds have never used the Tools line, so I rely on Med kit+elixir B

Old April 27th, 2013, 00:22   #44
Azuhra
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I've played engineer form the start. She was my first level 80.

I'm still learning what it is I want to do with her.

I started out leaning heavily on turrets -- had to, I was not well versed in kiting even though I was determined to have this engineer as my main. As noted, even when you trait for armor plaited turrets, those puppies are pretty fragile. Healing turret offers an awesome fast heal though, and quick recharge on pick up. And I have to admit, I did love the thumper turret when I found myself soloing a mob. Or running for my life, whichever came first.

From there I moved to kits for a while -- primarily grenades. As others have said before me, the AoE is so much fun. I'm not as fast as I should be on ground targeting in fast moving combat situations though. So, unless I'm underwater or find myself in a "safe" support position, I don't use this kit much anymore.

Actually, about Christmas time, I settled on a dual pistols/ elixers build. A similar set up to this one. It taught me that I love being a condition monger, and it taught me how to kite (most days, some days are better than others. I blame the mouse and keyboard, not the user .) Having traited for those pistols of mine to have rifled barrels and coated shot, they make surprisingly effective weapons.

Am I doing damage like I might on my warrior? Nope. Am I doing the sort of damage those infamous flamethrower builds do? Not with my pistols. I am dealing a variety of conditions though while supplying myself and others with boons. You can solo the build, but it is a little squishy by its nature. You learn to move or get your butt kicked.

My elixir B and elixir C are always on my skills list, but that third slot can be swapped as needed. On a recent run in WvW with SoF (lead by Bunter) I learned that having the flamethrower kit there, even untraited for it, can be effective in the right circumstances. Works well in getting drops from mobs down in Orr too.

Currently, I have the full karma armor from the Grenth Temple. Yup, conditions. Added a sigil of earth to my main pistol to add a bleed to my given conditions and counted myself pleased.

I am considering a set of armor for a flamethrowing tank set up as well though. To keep in the inventory and bring out when needed. I'll keep thinking on that as I bring other characters up to 80.

What I can say without a doubt is that if you can stick with that engineer until you reach 80 and can snag that full skill set and traits options, you will find something enjoyable about the class. As for me, my engineer is my very favorite Orr huntress and I imagine she will stay that way.

“But… the oozes! The oozes! And the dredge!”

Azuhra.1047 -- Elsibeth Wrenchand (Engineer), Elgrad Stonebow (Ranger), Elraan Bloodborn (Necromancer), Elea Nightshade (Mesmer), Eleeka (Warrior), Elisabet Shieldfist (Guardian)
Azuhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:17   #45
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to Nightsorrow
This gem just popped up on my youtube subscriptions:

I think I've posted this guys Thief videos somewhere on the forums before but he has now changed over to Engineer. These videos show things I couldn't even begin to attempt on Engi, in a build that I've never seen used outside of his videos. A truly great watch for anyone interested in Engineers or just about anything else in this game, think I'm turning into a Yishi fanboy....

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat...
Nightsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote