Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old August 15th, 2012, 14:37   #16
Sol
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Send a message via AIM to Sol
Rumor has it harpoon gun skills picked up a few conditions (or a bleed, at least) to help with condition focused builds not being quite so painful when underwater.

Honestly, they've fixed just about every nitpick I had with engineers - I'm a pretty happy camper.

GW2: Dark Sol.6497
SoF: Sol Silverglade [E/Me]

Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:29   #17
Sol
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Send a message via AIM to Sol
And I jinxed myself >.<

Explosive shot bleed nerfed to 2s means you really can't stack bleeds well unless you don't mind not using other skills (similar to Epi's gripes about clonespam scepter mesmers).

Blargle.

GW2: Dark Sol.6497
SoF: Sol Silverglade [E/Me]

Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:24   #18
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

I found this video from Teldo (Team Paradigm) quite excellent. The build aside (which seems to be really good for what he's playing), it's just a great guide to skills, traits, why he chose what he did, and examples at the end showing how he applies it all.

-------
Edit: someone needs to help me on how to embed videos, I just cannot figure it out here. Gah! I tried using both the "embed" and the "use old embed code" from YouTube, and neither of them seems to work on our forums. I know you geniuses have done this before, how to we embed here?

edit by bsoltan - fixed it!

GW1: Vai Demine | GW2 Account: vaidemine.7285

Last edited by bsoltan; August 17th, 2012 at 11:06.
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:45   #19
Kazgoroth
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I tried to upload the video too, and it just linked it. Not sure what is up with that either.....

Last edited by Kazgoroth; August 17th, 2012 at 04:46. Reason: Oops.
Kazgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:03   #20
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Vai, when they tell you, let me know. I'm just as lost, if not more so, than you are. I've even embedded a video in the past but I can't figure it out now. So shameful the noob I am.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:09   #21
bsoltan
/flex

SoF Councillors

With Youtube videos you need to use the Long URL link and just paste that into your post. The forum should then work it out and turn it into an 'embedded' youtube window on the forum.

The Long URL link should be available under the sharing option below the video - same place as the short one but there is a tick-box or something to get the long one.

The 'embedding' code is used to plug it straight into a webpage rather than onto a forum and the full screen links and shortened URLs don't work either.
bsoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:16   #22
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Ok, long URL, got it, but where and what means do I use to post that in my reply? That's where I'm not sure anymore. Thanks for the answers Ben.

Old August 17th, 2012, 11:30   #23
bsoltan
/flex

SoF Councillors

No need to use any tags or anything, you just take the url which should look like this:

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_49j-ziKo
Put it in your post, ideally on a new line not surrounded by text, the forum will then turn it into this after you submit your post:

Code:
[ url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_49j-ziKo"]GW2 Beta (BWE3) - Power Rifle Engineer - In-Depth Videoguide [English] [HD]      - YouTube[/url]
Which you can see by quoting Vai's post above. If more of a Guide is needed I can do a proper thread, or if you want to test it out you can edit your existing post or create a new thread we can delete later.
bsoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:42   #24
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Thanks Ben. I'll try it out. If I have anymore problems, I'll let you know.

Back to the Engineer

Old August 17th, 2012, 16:09   #25
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoltan View Post
Which you can see by quoting Vai's post above.
Thanks for fixing it, Ben. Much better now. I should be able to remember that.

Old August 17th, 2012, 16:22   #26
Jinx
Mesmers :]

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoltan View Post
No need to use any tags or anything, you just take the url which should look like this:

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_49j-ziKo
Put it in your post, ideally on a new line not surrounded by text, the forum will then turn it into this after you submit your post:

Code:
[ url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_49j-ziKo"]GW2 Beta (BWE3) - Power Rifle Engineer - In-Depth Videoguide [English] [HD]      - YouTube[/url]
Which you can see by quoting Vai's post above. If more of a Guide is needed I can do a proper thread, or if you want to test it out you can edit your existing post or create a new thread we can delete later.
I just paste the URL without tags and the forum embeds it without me doing anything. It's really simple
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:30   #27
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

I was talking to Bea in-game last night about engineer skills/traits and thought that maybe I'd come in and update things a bit, now that we've got a couple weeks under our belts. Makkert could maybe add his thoughts also, since I know he's leveled even higher than me. I'm just giving my own thoughts here, no science/math behind this.

Weapon/Weapon Skills
  1. Rifle. This is my go-to PvP weapon. I can't remember the last time I used a pistol in PvP. You have great single-target control and some decent burst (especially if you invest in +power traits and itemization). #1 is your basic attack, but it does pierce multiple targets so if you can get people to line up for you, that's nice... #2 is a decent snare. Kind of slow-moving and strafe-able (without even having to dodge-roll), but it's useful. #3 is a powerful close-range blast. #4 is a blowback/knockdown. And #5 is a ground-targeted move skill. I use Jump Shot (#5) almost every time to do extra damage in close (damage on take-off and touch-down), followed by Blunderbuss (#3) and Overcharged Shot (#4) to get back to range. I don't use it much in PvE because it just doesn't seem effective, except against Veteran or Champion mobs when I'm solo.
  2. Pistol/Pistol. I never use pistols in PvP, so we're talking PvE here. I'll address the first three skills below, and just off-hand pistola here. Blowtorch (#4) has limited range and thus limited use (since most pistol attacks are at max range if I can help it). Glue Shot (#5) is a decent snare, but not as good (IMO) as the shield #4 for mob control.
  3. Pistol/Shield. This is my PvE bread and butter. Explosive Shot (#1) is of middling direct damage, but applies a bleed that you can keep up continually as you fire. Poison Dart Volley (#2) is best used as mobs close in on you, since it doesn't fire in a direct line. It kind of spreads itself out as it goes, so you're better off using it as mobs come closer to you so you get as many hits off it as possible. Static Shot (#3) bounces between targets and applies Confused on enemies. Be careful in tight spots, because it really bounces quite a distance. The Confuse is nice if you have no way to avoid a hit, because it makes them miss and damage themselves instead. Magnetic and Static Shield (#4 and #5) are both good damage mitigation, with a blowback, a stun, or Confuse depending on how it's used.
Healing Skill

For your heal, you've got three standard choices: Elixir H, MedKit, and Healing Turret. I love the utility of the MedKit, so it's the only thing I use. It has a standard self-heal, three droppable bandage kits that are small heals, condition removal, and fury/swiftness on demand.

Utility and Elite Skills

For your utility skills, there are all kinds of combinations (obviously) and they can give your engineer entirely different flavors. I find myself running with the following most of the time:
  1. Grenade Kit. Invaluable for groups. Anytime I need solid AOE, I switch to my grenade kit and start tossing. The basic attack is just a direct damage grenade, but the others have a blind, bleed, chill, and poison. Have a graveling mound you need to get rid of? No problem-just stand at range and lob grenades. Toolbelt skill is a bigger version of skill #1 (barrage of grenades).
  2. Elixir B. I chug it whenever I can. It grants fury, swiftness, retaliation, and might. For the toolbelt, either the skill itself is bugged, or else the tooltip is wrong. It is supposed to grant the same list to allies (you toss it on them), but I've found it only applies one of the boons (not all four). Don't know if that's intended or a bug.
  3. The third slot I change out depending on what I have going on. I like the Utility Goggles to pull out of stun, and the toolbelt skill applies Vulnerability to one target, which is very nice against Veteran or Champion mobs. For dungeon runs (which I've been doing more of lately) I take the elixir gun, just for the extra heals. Super Elixir (#5) is an AOE heal, and the toolbelt skill is a small localized heal. It's just good support. I've also enjoyed the Flamethrower, good close-range skills dealing with burning (duh!). And I've used Rocket Turret on and off (more off, I guess) and it's pretty solid. All the other stuff I've used and discarded as situational stuff that I don't use regularly enough to keep them on my skillbar.
  4. For my elite skill, I almost always use the Supply Crate. It drops turrets and bandages, and is a knockdown when it lands (so you can drop it on someone to keep them off you or interrupt them). Mortar could be good in WvW (I haven't actually used it yet). I do have fun with the Charzooka, it's just too cool. But it doesn't really do spectacular damage, so I'm not sold yet.
Traits
My first ten trait points went into Tools for one reason alone: the 10-point Speedy Kit bonus. With this, you gain 5 seconds of swiftness whenever you equip a kit, with a 5 second internal cooldown. Without boring you with math, the idea is that you have a permanent speed buff by just swapping your kits in and out while you run. I just use the MedKit over and over. Push #6 every five seconds and you sprint wherever you want (I actually mix it up with MedKit #5 which has a swiftness boon, but you get the idea).

My next ten went into Firearms, and I use the Rifled Barrels to get more range. Alternatively, Hair Trigger gets you cooldown reduction on your weapon skills, or Precise Sights gets you a 50% chance to apply Vulnerability on a critical hit. More on this in a moment.

My next ten went into Explosives for the Incendiary Powder 10-point skill, which gives you a 33% change to apply a burn on critical hits. Combined with the Firearm 5-point bonus (Sharpshooter gives you a 30% change to inflict bleed on critical hit) and Precise Sights, you have an excellent chance of applying conditions on critical hits. Combined with the conditions I'm already applying with pistols and it gets pretty heavy pretty fast. Mobs go down hard when you get a few of these to proc.

My last 17 have all gone into Firearms and Explosives again, to increase my power, precision, condition damage and condition duration. It's a pretty offensive build, and my life suffers because of it, but I can do some pretty wicked damage.

Anyway, hope that helps any prospective engineers out there. I'd love critiques on the build so far as well.

Last edited by Vai; September 10th, 2012 at 01:35.
Old September 11th, 2012, 00:09   #28
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

I can't critique it, really, but it's nice to see what others are running. I also use pistol/shield as my bread and butter in PvE, with rifle in WvW. The only trait that I saw that you might want to add is Envigorating Speed, to get Vigor each time you gain swiftness, since you'll be getting it so often.

I don't feel that the 10 points for speedy kits is worth it for me in general; it's a fun trait, but I will end up with no points to spare for it later, so I can't justify getting used to it now.

Instead of critiquing, I'll sketch out my general plans/build.

My engineer is using bombs as his main kit, supported by generally at least one turret (thumper). For the third utility slot, I switch it up - sometimes rocket boots for a get-away and a kick, sometimes a rocket turret to give me a ranged turret, sometimes land mines, and sometimes the goggles.

The heal I tend to use is the Healing Turret, and for an elite I plan to use either the supply kit (when solo) or the mortar (certain areas when with a party), as I enjoyed those when I tried them.

Since I am using bombs, the first thing I went for is the Explosives line, aiming for Forceful Explosive (bigger blasts for bombs and mines). Next will probably be 10 in alchemy, for Protection Injection, which will help a bit with debilitating conditions.

My ultimate aim is 20 Explosives, 30 Inventions, and 20 Alchemy; Alchemy is for Backpack Regenerator, which provides regeneration while in a kit (like bombs...), and 30 Inventions grants a lot of boost to healing power and access to Bombs Heal Allies. Faster bomb recharge is a must, and I'm torn between Power Shoes and Elite Supply Kit. This setup will let me provide support via bombs, while making me pretty resilient thanks to bomb heals and the regeneration.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:30   #29
Vai
I hace your gammets!

SoF Emeritus

Epi, what's your draw toward he bombs? They deal lots of damage, but I just don't like mobs getting that close to me, since you just drop them at your feet. Granted, the BOB is an excellent toolbelt skill (and almost worth packing bombs just for it alone), but I don't see the attraction. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old September 11th, 2012, 04:39   #30
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

I could show you if you want to come out with my engineer sometime.

I like them for a few reasons. One is that between the BOB, the Thumper turret's activation, and shield 4, I have three are attacks that hurl enemies away from me. I also have two fairly decent AoE blinding attacks (Bomb 4, Pistol 3) and two attacks that cause confusion (pistol 3, bomb 3), handing out some damage for swining at me (and generally missing). Bombs have 2 fields for combos (fire and smoke) and the turret gives a third (healing), and the thumper turret activation, the BOB, and the F skill for the thumper all activate combo fields as blasts.

A typical way for me to engage enemies when soloing is something like this: round them up by running around in a circle; fire my pistol to blind them, plant BOB, turret, and maybe drop a bomb. Bang, they're all thrown flying. While they close back in (many enemies is fine) I plant my concussion and smoke bombs, confusing them and blinding them; I might manage fire bomb too, at which point I trigger thumper, flinging them away again (if I planted fire, I get a burst of might - the mines also activate this, so if using mines I can get 6 stacks, and it's an area effect, so all my allies get it if I play with them). While they close in again I plant a bomb or two, swap to pistol, and fling them away a third time with shield 4; by now I can blind again, and so on.

It allows me to control a pretty decent group of enemies. Against tougher foes that I can't kill in a wave or two of this, I have the equivalent of strafe-shooting them, which is to run in a circle dropping bombs. Since the bombs drop and blow up behind me, enemies eat bombs, with none of the hassle of trying to aim at them. If I need to get away, the glue bomb lets me. Bombs healing me and allies will be additional resilience, and is one of the only decent support sets the engineer gets.

My weaknesses are really fast kiting enemies, and I have some degree of trouble with ranged guys, though pistol/shield isn't bad on those. Melee is generally no problem.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote