Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Victrix > GvG Reports
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old September 28th, 2007, 21:24   #1
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Victrix Match Report - 9/27/07

Sadly I dont have the heart to continue my CFB naming theme, this season has been too discouraging However, Victrix seems to be doing much better than Notre Dame (not a difficult feat tbh), so all is not lost

Last night we tackled the ladder again and, for the first time in a very long time, had a completely native team. That is, no guests! Our lineup was: Gus, Aus, Bruce, Taelith, Lucky, Tzuul, Neo, and Arma.

We Are Too Cute In Pink; Frozen Isle; Win

This team was running a relatively standard blockway. They did a good job intially of chasing our split with their main team, but we kept re-arranging until we got our split into their base, a captured tower, and our stand team engaging theirs. Our split team prevented flags from leaving their base, so we boosted. They could not stop us from wiping their base, so eventually they tried to split monks, which we punished by collapsing 8v5, dropping the lone monk, and wiping the rest into base. From there they turtled and we tried unsuccessfully to make progress into their base, but nothing really happened until VoD, when they tried to charge our Lord but had to turn around to protect theirs from our splitters. Their retreat was unorganized and they took heavy losses while falling back, and that wipe ended the game.

Drunken Panda Scrubs; Wizards Isle; Win

This team was running a special form of blockway that Bruce had drawn up himself and donated to their leader, Doc. Again we split into base and they had no way to adaquately deal with it. They did manage to pose a mild threat at the stand, where we took occaisional deaths to a Mel-Derv spike. However, we eventually forced them to fall back to their (empty) base, and we were looking good coming into VoD. At that point they went around the side to try and get at our Lord. Our main team met them at our Catapult while our splitters threatened their Lord. They waited for our NPCs to pass to the stand, and then engaged. We made a stupid mistake balling up for the Mel derv and they nearly got a triple kill (on 3 people that had all been at full HP moments before ) Instead they settled for just one kill, Arma. However, from there they managed to kill him about 5 more times by shattering SoD. Things werent looking good but they eventually starting cracking and their Lord was under pressure from our splitters, who eventually came through and ended the game for us.

Planet Unicorn; Frozen Isle; Win

Instead of their usual gimmick-way, this guild had brought in numerous high-profile guests and were attempting blockway. They did a decent job of it, and this match played out very similarly to our first frozen isle match earlier in the night. By VoD they were turtled and missing alot of NPCs. We had some confusion about where people were supposed to be at VoD, and a miscue in the 3v3 skirmish led to our entire team having to retreat to base. A fierce battle surrounding our Guild Lord ensued, where we hung on by a thread for several minutes, buying time for our split to res and get back to threatening their Lord. When this happened they had to send people to deal with that, which eased pressure to a managable level. From there we collapsed back onto them with everyone except Taelith, who continued to shadow their Guild Lord, and they apparently decided they needed 2 people to stop him. So we fought 7v6 around our Lord until they wiped. GG.

Doms Soldiers; Frozen Isle; Loss

This team knew exactly what we wanted to do (courtesy of having played eachother twice already in the past few days) and exactly how they wanted to stop us. They did a good job of responding to our split, almost always holding firm 3v3 in their NPCs, and several times dropping back extra people to wipe our split 4v3. To be competitive in this match we really needed to react to those situations faster and/or initiate them ourselves, and needed to continue re-deploying until we got favorable matchups. We let them dictate the flow of the match, and couldnt get much accomplished all game. The game lasted till VoD, but we werent really in this one.

French Army Impression; Burning Isle; Win

Dual Mesmer Blockway, hooray. We split right through this team and dropped most of their NPCs quickly. Eventually they had to fall back from the stand and made some kills on their retreat. From there we beat our heads against a wall (</3 passive defense) in their GL cage for about 10 minutes until deciding it was fruitless and pulling back across the lava. They took the bait and once their monks crossed the lava, we snared them with our water ele and our 3 warriors raced back over the bridge into their base. Their Guild Lord was dead before their monks were halfway back.

Mail In Rebates; Hunter's Isle; Win

We caught these guys on their first ever match (N/A rank, 1000 rating), so it was initially unclear how good they were going to be. However, it quickly was clear that this was a relatively high-caliber pug, including several ex-members of [LaG] and other members of past and present top50 guilds. We did our usual stuff, they did a good job defending our split. Neither team could make much progress until about ~8:00. At that time we returned their flag that they had left near their gate, and put in our own. This forced their runner to leave their base to run a flag, and we harassed her all the way in, buying time for our split. By the time their flagger returned to their base, their entire GL cage was dead. Must have been annoying, lol. From then until VoD we exchanged blows, with them full wiping us once and us killing their defensive skirmishers often and even bringing their Lord to ~33% at one point. At VoD they split monks and that allowed them to kill Taelith and Tzuul on the split, but it also cost them a wipe as we obliterated the lone monk and mopped them up back into base. We dropped their Lord right before their team was about to base res, gg.

Hope you all have enjoyed this match report. We are, as always, proud to represent.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness
Old September 28th, 2007, 21:33   #2
Lucky
A winner is YOU

Victrix Members

Send a message via AIM to Lucky
Yeah some sloppy play made the night feel worse and longer than it actually was. But we keep on enforcing that 'Bend but don't break' philosophy being that we make mistakes early, but when our backs are to the wall we play much better and grind out the big "V". I think we yet again covered more grounds in communication last night and everyone is starting to get used to everyone elses tendancies.

GGs and I feel us turning a corner very soon tbh. We will be at the point where we are able to make plays quicker and force more people to respond to us rather than us respond to them.

-lucky

W- Jadumba Narantunga -E- Venomous Anyi -N- Root Of All Evils
GW2- Lucky.7125
Old September 28th, 2007, 22:21   #3
Marillion Bloodbane
Adept Tyrian

Tor Ambassadors

Thanks as always for the report Neo. GGs guys. Listened in to some of those matches and man...are you guys ever hard on yourselves!! Even when you win it sounds like you lost, lol. But I understand the reasoning, this is what you need to do to improve and fix mistakes that could have cost you the match.

Keep on trucking Victrix.

The Torrencians [Tor]
IGN: Marillion Bloodbane
Old September 28th, 2007, 22:38   #4
Lucky
A winner is YOU

Victrix Members

I also like how Neo refers to the lord room as the 'guild lord cage', lol it makes it sound like some underground prizefighter competition our split engages in vs their guild lord for $$ and women!

man...I need to get on our split more, this way I too can tap the GL out with a gogoplata performed from rubber guard! QQ

-lucky

GW2- Lucky.7125
Old September 28th, 2007, 22:40   #5
Tzuul
Devotee Jade Sea

Tor Ambassadors

I think that, while we want to and expect to win every GvG, what we are really trying to do in every match is to outplay the other team. That means making smart strategic choices as well as effective skill use. We're tough on ourselves when we make choices that result in setbacks such as deaths, allowing opposing morale boosts, or not taking down an opponent when we had the opportunity.

Tor: Shamino Sworddancer
SoF-V: Torrencian Archon
Old September 28th, 2007, 23:09   #6
Sir Erighan
Trainee Ascalon

SoF Members

Grats guys. Based on the last few reports it looks like you're all meshing together nicely and spanking some butts. Keep up the good work and thanks for the reporting.
Old September 29th, 2007, 06:05   #7
Vykara
Vicarious Vexing Vixen

SoF Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Vykara Send a message via Yahoo to Vykara
love the reports - love to see the long streaks of wins too Glad to hear that things seem to be falling into place! keep up the good work, and keep having fun!

GW 2: Vykara.5207

GW 1
Tyrian: Vykara Valkyrie W/x || Vyky Valor Mo/x
Canthan: Vy Vicious N/x || Vyk Vysage Rit/x
Elonian: Biggus Vykkus Pa/W || Vinnie go Blooey E/Mo
Old September 29th, 2007, 15:20   #8
Rob#2
Deer Face!

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
We Are Too Cute In Pink; Frozen Isle; Win

This team was running a relatively standard blockway. They did a good job intially of chasing our split with their main team, but we kept re-arranging until we got our split into their base, a captured tower, and our stand team engaging theirs.
When you say "captured tower," you mean the flag stand, right?

I'm just making sure you don't mean the gate switches somehow.

W Cori Rottingbush | Mo Gigi Aloebush | N Rabba Nabba | Me Robi Oran Hey | R Rah Bee | E Robbie Cyanea
Rt Robey Aleshanee | A Robby Hello Kitty
P Rabiah Hatshepsut | D Raba Ganoush
Old September 29th, 2007, 15:46   #9
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Yeah, captured flag stand. I guess no one refers to it as a tower anymore, but they used to, for some reason.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness
Old October 1st, 2007, 20:44   #10
Rob#2
Deer Face!

SoF Emeritus

Perhaps it was taller....and there were little gnome guards standing atop it.

W Cori Rottingbush | Mo Gigi Aloebush | N Rabba Nabba | Me Robi Oran Hey | R Rah Bee | E Robbie Cyanea
Rt Robey Aleshanee | A Robby Hello Kitty
P Rabiah Hatshepsut | D Raba Ganoush
Old October 1st, 2007, 21:03   #11
Lucky
A winner is YOU

Victrix Members

and it was so tall that once you killed a gnome you had to necrotic traversal to the top to cap the flag, unfortunetly they removed this feature when they realized you can't teleport with items in hand

GW2- Lucky.7125
Old October 1st, 2007, 22:11   #12
Nuxie
recidivist rogue

Retired Victrix Members

Silly GvGers, gnomes are for punting!

Scream In Braille, P | Ryanne Lynnrose, R | Perpetual Deja Vu, E | I Bent My Wookie (PvP) | Perpetual Caffeine (PvP)
Old October 2nd, 2007, 17:27   #13
Tap
Devotee Jade Sea

Retired Victrix Members

I lol'ed.

This thread is relevant to my interests.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 19:48   #14
Jinx
Mesmers :]

SoF Members

Thumbs up

I don't see what you're discouraged about Neo, you guys seem to be doing great in the last couple of reports . And by the looks of it you guys indeed do take GvG seriously, wish I stumbled across you guys a year or so ago, when I was still fresh into the game. I used to love to GvG with my old guild, no matter how badly some of the members played. Somehow I believe it's too late for me now, everyone's too pro for me . Maybe if you guys ever do an unrated match for practice I could guest just for the fun of GvG .

Screw luck, keep up the good work .
Old October 3rd, 2007, 00:40   #15
Empedocles
On High Carb Atkins

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Somehow I believe it's too late for me now, everyone's too pro for me .
I don't think this is 100% true. Granted, there maybe a wider gap between a neophyte and a seasoned veteran these days, but on the other hand, there are a lot more learning resources.

What's problematic though, is that someone just entering the game may lack the network (rhizome, if you like ) with which it's easier to build up your individual skill.