Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Public > Chat
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old December 8th, 2015, 15:37   #1
WetWookie
Needs a towel...

SoF Councillors

SoF Book club!

What are you reading right now?

I'm currently on book two of the Pure Trilogy. It's about a post apocalyptic world set maybe 15 years after a combination of nuclear explosions and nanobots has warped the world with a mixture of burns and injuries from the explosion and 'fuses' from the nanobots. People are 'fused' to objects, people, or creatures that were near then at the time of the detonation. There's a group of people who were protected in a dome and are 'pure'. There's a good dose of conspiracy theory, conflicts between different groups of people, genetic engineering, and detective work. So far it's a decent series and I recommend it.

Other recent books that I recommend are

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson - A book from a ridiculously intelligent author about how the human race could go about surviving the end of the world.

The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson - Your standard swords and sorcery series from a very creative author.

11/22/63 by Steven King - A book about time traveling back to stop the Kennedy assassination. Really good book if you're into sci-fi and/or historical fiction (weird combo, right?).

WetWookie.1687
WetWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 20:37   #2
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

A Spy Among Friends: Philby & The Great...A Spy Among Friends: Philby & The Great... . This is a biography of one of the UK's most infamous double agents who rose through the ranks in Mi6 but had been, throughout his career, a double agent - working for the Russians. Very interesting so far.

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:22   #3
Sound_And_The_Fury
Reef

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
A Spy Among Friends: Philby & The Great Betrayal. This is a biography of one of the UK's most infamous double agents who rose through the ranks in Mi6 but had been, throughout his career, a double agent - working for the Russians. Very interesting so far.
Hope you don't mind me jumping in, as I just thought i'd have a look around the forums as a applicant.

I love that story about Philby and the Cambridge Five? I think that's what they are called....there is another spy book called "The billion dollar spy" about how a russian spy went over the yanks and sold secrets.

I'm reading "A man in full" by Tom Wolfe and have a stack of Civil War books ready to go. I'm Australian but I love military history, strategy etc,.

ok...book and history lover in me taking over....sorry for butting in!
Sound_And_The_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 13:28   #4
WetWookie
Needs a towel...

SoF Councillors

Feel free to take part in any thread you like.

I'm not typically big on non fiction but spy stuff is pretty fascinating. I'll have to add A Spy Among Friends to my list of things to read.

Anyone here a fan of audiobooks? I drive a minimum of two hours a day for work and listen to a ton of them. It feels kinda weird but I've actually developed favorite voice actors and will go out of my way to find books with them reading it.

WetWookie.1687
Old December 10th, 2015, 05:10   #5
j u n g
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to j u n g Send a message via Skype™ to j u n g
Wink

Love You guys Wish Emc2 was easy to explain as the cucumbers kale and pretty lil' Brussel Sprouts, the extra chili Carrots and calloflourer wich would make any Lion eat Straw. So, As I lie in the Den, I say that the J-Factor of Dune plus the second edidiont hitchikers Guide to the galaxy led me to beleive that the square root of log^2 is the c in the theorem Lambda facto Sqrt 1-c <1>. Ive, been watching Stargate atlantis And Johhny Cash signs off withe the return to guild wars 2 in the house with my bfg being squishy and the game is set to start on Faction street. Again...

| Tyrian Jungitte (GW1) | Jungster (GW2) |
Milk and Oreo's! Milk and Oreo's! You aint' nothin' without Milk and Oreo's!
Favorite Emotion:

Favorite Quote "John 3:16"
j u n g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 05:16   #6
j u n g
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

The Books I have read Are Lord of the Rings, the hobit (in 4.5 Days, and the first 5 books of Dune, except the last was only partially read. please righ? So, I desire to un-retire the Anja of Geo to apply the infinite bleed of Maus to Comic narration and Human Diversity. Yet, retaining such info, I have accomplished much with former collegues at 5th and Rose Paradice here in Cal State Long-Beach...Shiggy! Landing on such a promise royal I have Dedicated the Just shall live By faith to your namE Royally. As described. I am racing to get the Wu-Tang song "Prophecy" LP on the Raqwon Album ; whocares- who nilly to the shamo in my heart a pump to Frogger and a release of the panda bear on my second Jung account for my best Girl Phaedra . . Isaac. Since, I have been A boy I have been raised by Brazilian blood and sense A Jungster upon arrival iin Factions Soon. P.S.S> Love all the squishys, hopefully Im at level 2 and fwew that was scary. For the best, I love ever single one.

Favorite Emotion:

Old December 10th, 2015, 05:23   #7
j u n g
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

Lightbulb Reading Rainbow in America- has been such a sweet delight

I love the Star Trek soul sister of Mine and employ many to check in on the factions city scapes. For I will be returning to roam Tyria with my lil' french bulldog.. Best of Love to all and a merry grinchmas to the rest- booo.. not buttercup. P/s Loved Dune, Lord Of the Rings and Dune, plus Im a total Hitchicker. Enjoyed the German Frat's of old School CSULB I will be attaining a Bachlorette- in Geology. - Thanks heavens for chemical smog transformation. Wish Phaedra Issac Well. Bless you all.

Favorite Emotion:

Old December 10th, 2015, 13:01   #8
WetWookie
Needs a towel...

SoF Councillors

Eh, jung, has your account been hacked? Your posts look like a computer program snagged snippets of past things you've typed and jumbled them all together into new posts.

WetWookie.1687
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:58   #9
Velvet
Den Mother

SoF Councillors

Nah, that's just Jung, Wookie!

Anyway, I am in the middle of reading the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. They turned the books into a TV series of the same name, and I am anxiously awaiting Season 2, although I am in the middle of Book 4 of the 8-book series.

If you are unfamiliar with the story, it is set in 1945; Claire, a former combat nurse from WWII and her husband, a historian, are vacationing in Scotland, when they come upon a circle of standing stones (like Stonehenge, but smaller). While investigating the place, Claire touches one of the stones and is pulled back in time about 200 years to 1743! The story unfolds as she tries to return to her own time without giving away her secret to the Scots and English people who are, at that time, vying for control of the Scottish lands.

A little history, a little adventure, a little romance and intrigue - it's a pretty good read, and an interesting departure from the "fantasy/adventure" genre that is my usual cup of tea.

GW1: Velvet Darkshadow (N)~Lily Goldenrod (Rit)~Neysa Pearldrop (Mo)~Syrenia Longbow (R)~Calypso Dragonheart (W)~
Melodie Dewshine (E)~Darien Archangel (P)~Paige Diamond (D)~Velvet of Fortuna (PvP)
GW2: Velvet.8610
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:21   #10
Bunter
Alliance Pack Rat

SoF Councillors

Just recently finished "Closer To Home" by Mercedes Lackey. The first of the Herald Spy series. If you're a fan of Valdemar and I enjoyed it but the prior 5 book series will give you a better frame of reference for this one.

The second book, "Closer To The Heart" is out in hardcover and I'm debating on whether to wait for the paperback or get the hardcover.

I've just started reading the Chaos War Saga by Raymond E. Feist and so far it's following along with some of his other works in the "War" saga. It's not quite as enjoyable as some of his works as it's setting up the story and I haven't found "that character" to follow through it like I have with a number of his other works.

GW2: Bunter.3795
If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic.
"More Stuff, Stuff. More Stuff, Stuffy, Stuff!" - the wise skritt.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 15:40   #11
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunter View Post

I've just started reading the Chaos War Saga by Raymond E. Feist and so far it's following along with some of his other works in the "War" saga. It's not quite as enjoyable as some of his works as it's setting up the story and I haven't found "that character" to follow through it like I have with a number of his other works.
I was a huuuuuge Raymond E. Feist fan back in the day. 'Magician' still stands out for me as the high-watermark of fantasy writing. I think it is a masterpiece of its genre.

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 21:43   #12
WetWookie
Needs a towel...

SoF Councillors

Since my last post I finished the Pure Trilogy (and tentatively recommend this series), the most recent entry in the Mistborn Saga (highly recommend this series) and I'm now onto the Codex Alera series from Jim Butcher.

WetWookie.1687
Old January 15th, 2016, 02:22   #13
relt
truant

SoF Members

I most recently finished Till We Have Faces, CS Lewis' last novel and considered by many, himself included, to be his best work. I absolutely loved it and it really made me reflect on myself and my relationships. One of my first thoughts when I finished it was: oh man, I can't wait to read this in 5 years to see what else I can learn! That may be the best praise I can lay on a book.

Currently, I'm reading The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. It is sci-fi, takes place 800 years from now, and so far I'm really enjoying it. I think the only sci-fi I've read is the Dune series and all of Card's Ender/Shadow books, but I'm really enjoying the world Simmons has envisioned and the story is very interesting so far. At this point, we are following six pilgrims that have been summoned to the far flung world Hyperion to meet the Shrike, a metallic being with ruby eyes of unknown origin who seems to control time and likes to kill people. In an effort to figure out why they've been summoned, each pilgrim is telling the story of their background with the planet and the Shrike. The reader is just as baffled as the characters and I can't wait to see how things play out.

GW: Relt Dragcar R/ GW2: relt.6189
relt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:47   #14
Xan
Devotee Jade Sea

SoF Members

Send a message via AIM to Xan Send a message via MSN to Xan Send a message via Yahoo to Xan
I never out grew young adult literature... So after seeing the pilot for Syfy's The Magicians, I thought I'd give the books a try. Sadly I rank them with Twilight and the 5th Harry Potter book in the category of 'reads like bad fanfiction'. Which is sad because I really wanted to like them but it is just too whiny.

So I dropped those and picked up "The Dream Keeper" by Mickey Brooks, think Pagemaster meets Dreamscape.
" Loser--the most frightening word to ever be uttered in junior high school. Even the coolest kids are afraid of being associated with it. 14-year-old Parker Bennett is no exception. He can't even be himself around his friends for fear they might not accept who he really is. When circumstances force him to team up with Kaelyn Clarke, the biggest loser in the ninth grade, Parker has to decide what is more important; protecting his social status or saving the world. Nightmare named Fyren has taken over the gateway to the realm of Dreams, with the intention of controlling mortals, and it falls on Parker, Kaelyn, and Gladamyr - the Dream Keeper - to stop him. They learn being called a loser is no longer a fear, when compared to the terror of real nightmares."

Also finished up book three of the "I Bring the Fire" series by C. Gockel
It's a modern twist on Loki, take a few stabs at Marvel and all in all ends up being a reincarnation romance.

A few others I've chewed through lately that were worth the time spent reading:

Nevermore - Kelly Creagh - if you are into Edgar A. Poe's works and can handle teen romance give this series a go.

Neverland (Adventures in Neverland series) - Anna Katmore --- Modern Peter Pan story, where Hook isn't a crusty old pirate.

I love searching the free books on Kindle, some are a little out there but I've stumbled on some good ones too. And there are a lot that copy right expiration permits to be free.

Xan.6280

Last edited by Xan; May 28th, 2016 at 08:51.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote