Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Public > Chat
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old November 12th, 2015, 19:36   #1
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Monitor recommendation

Umm would you believe my monitor is now NINE years old? Neither can I

It's a Dell2007WFP and has been pretty good I guess. It's not even HD (it's 1680x1050).

I now want to upgrade and get a proper HD monitor with decent response time and potentially future-proofed by high refresh rate. Have my eye on thisave my eye on this which may drop in price on Black Friday.

Quote:
BenQ XL2430T LED 24 -inch Gaming Monitor 16:9, 1920 x 1080, 1000:1, 12M:1, 1 ms GTG, DVI/HDMI1.4 x 2/ DP1.2 - Black/Red
Not cheap but heck if it lasts even close to as long as the old one then it'll prove to be good value over time

Any one have a view on this or other recommendation? Thanks!

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:14   #2
Empedocles
On High Carb Atkins

SoF Emeritus

Do you play a lot of twitchy-twicthy FPS games nowadays? If not, I think the 8ms response time in this Dell is more than sufficient for your needs:

Dell U2515H 25-Inch LCD Monitor, 350 cd/m2, 2560...Dell U2515H 25-Inch LCD Monitor, 350 cd/m2, 2560...
Empedocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 23:54   #3
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Hi Emp.

No, I don't play any twitchy FPS type games. I do quite like fighting games, not sure how much they are affected by response times?

That monitor looks good, though it has a lot of resolution!! Not sure my old 7850 will cope with it? That said, I have half a mind to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 960. But even that might struggle at such a high res?

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old November 19th, 2015, 12:38   #4
Empedocles
On High Carb Atkins

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Hi Emp.

No, I don't play any twitchy FPS type games. I do quite like fighting games, not sure how much they are affected by response times?
I believe you would want that 1 ms response time only if you play competitive fps for money. I don't play fighting games, but I would be surprised if that 8ms would figure into anything noticeable.

Quote:
That monitor looks good, though it has a lot of resolution!! Not sure my old 7850 will cope with it? That said, I have half a mind to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 960. But even that might struggle at such a high res?
As a benchmark, I have the same graphics card (HD7850, 2GB ), and Dell2713HM which has the same resolution as the 25" model, however my cpu is already 9 years old q6600! In terms of performance, I can run some older games at med to high specs with native resolution (say Fallout New Vegas).

Depending on your cpu, you might want to look for a gtx970. But even in that that case, you might need to tune down the resolution to 1080 for higher details when playing these newest graphic intensive games. Or so I hear, I must admit I do not have any first hand knowledge, since apart from Space Engineers (which I can't play, since its requirements are astronomical hehe ), I mostly play old-skool crpgs, which demand very little from my rig)

Last edited by Empedocles; November 19th, 2015 at 14:01.
Empedocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 14:30   #5
Ivan
"2gud"

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empedocles View Post
I believe you would want that 1 ms response time only if you play competitive fps for money. I don't play fighting games, but I would be surprised if that 8ms would figure into anything noticeable.
Fighting games also matter in regards to input lag. 1ms or 2ms helps

Its a trick! Get an Axe.

safo.2954
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 00:13   #6
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

@Emp @Ivan

I don't play *any* games at any level beyond enthusiastic amateur. I have quite slow reaction times as you may recall when I used to occasionally play healer in GW1! Didn't do a great job as I just can't react fast enough (just ask Makk, am sure he has a long memory)

My cpu is a 2500K. I don't really want to upgrade it (or the mobo/ram etc) anytime too soon, if I can help it, as I think there is still life in this machine for a year or so more.

I don't tend to play super demanding games. Most played game of the past year is a retro old-skool rogue-like game - Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (now Afterbirth, as the DLC has just come out). This is not at all demanding and it also runs well on my Macbook Air. The only 'demanding' game I might play is Alien Isolation which plays well on this current rig with the 7850 on a 1650x1050. 2D fighting games don't seem to be too demanding graphics-wise, though Street Fighter V (out in Feb) might be more demanding.

I do want to upgrade this screen though. Will see what options there are on Black Friday

'A' is for ASURA <3
Old November 20th, 2015, 13:28   #7
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

I may be getting old but I think we have now reached a point that unless you are really, really serious on gaming most monitors will be just fine.

Really doubt 8ms is noticeable for the average person. Doesn't it take 2ms for the brain impulses to travel down the nervous system.

Also for the vast majority of thing there is no need for anything over 30fps and at most 60 fps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

The question is how much money are you willing to pay for an almost imperceptible difference.

The point is like headphones your average 30 headphones are fine and there is little justification on spending 200 for the slight increase in quality. It is all advertising guff.

now some people are exceptionally sensitive in particular areas or have trained themselves, or that 0.00000001% addition proves to be important. Other than those people the normal person purchasing these things should set a budget and get the best in that budget, because anything else is simply so you can say to people how much you spent.

Wow that was a bit of a rant. In my defence I have to live with an 11year old that thinks he needs a 4k monitor and that everything must be in HD ( he has no problems with normal tv) and must have a FPS of above 60fps. He complained when I told him that he had to stop uploading 1080p videos to youtube because it took up too much bandwidth and he would have to do with 720p.

Of course I give him my classic black and yellow Gameboy and he thinks it is great, which only shows it is not the graphics or the refresh rate or the responsiveness that makes a difference.

I don't know children these days don't know their born!!!!
Old November 23rd, 2015, 18:41   #8
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

classic black and yellow gameboy?

wasnt the classic gameboy white?

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 10:32   #9
Greyhart
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkert View Post
classic black and yellow gameboy?

wasnt the classic gameboy white?
I was referring to the screen colours.

Yes the case was light grey.

I still have the killer Tetris skills I can play that for hours on the Gameboy. no other version really does anything for me. I think it is the music.
Old November 27th, 2015, 21:24   #10
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Hmm I'm blaming Emp because, having now done quite some research, I am indeed now considering the Dell U2515H (and possibly after that, depending on how my current GfX card works out, the GTX 970)

'A' is for ASURA <3