Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Public > Chat
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old November 30th, 2014, 11:48   #1
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

WoW: A decade old

Where did the last 10 years go?

A good article here on Eurogamer about World of Warcraft, of particular interest to any one who played the game.

I would agree with those that think vanilla WoW (i.e. at launch, the first game) was one of the best gaming experiences ever. How difficult the dungeons seemed at the time, that sense of elation when you finally defeated a boss. The high of reaching a certain level cap, getting your first mount, etc. Strong sense of community.

I also think the same about the original GW. When GW1 came out it was amazing - those first 6 or so months after the build up from the betas.

For me, both of my high points in gaming have been the first phase of those two games, and everything that has come after (including Guild Wars 2) just doesn't hit the same high notes I'm afraid.

With GW2 it's nice to catch up with friends in game, to chat, pass the time doing the odd dungeon or farm, but in terms of 'adrenalin' and 'excitement' - definitely not. Not compared with 10 years ago when GW1 and WoW launched.

I will never forget the first time SoF won in the Hall of Heroes in GW1. Some gaming memories stay with you forever I think - that will be one.

GW1 is officially 10 years old in April 2015.

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 20:54   #2
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Strong sense of community.
highlighted for core comment.

This is what made GW1.
the latter missions, like THK, needed some form of teamwork.
Bad teams simply couldnt do it.
Which also gave a feeling of accomplishment when you made it.

This in stark contrast of GW2, where 'everything should be solo-able' was a motto. Such a miss.

MORPG. massively online rpg.

If everything should be soloable, one could get the same excitement playing a solo game off line. The online part becomes a bragging right contest or trading market.

The amount of true teamgames are limited unfortunately.
FPS has CS-GO (at least, so i assume it is from watching streams, never played it myself)
MOBA has several (DOTA2, LoL, Heroes of the Storm, etc)
but MMORPG? not sure...

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 15:09   #3
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkert View Post
highlighted for core comment.

This is what made GW1.
the latter missions, like THK, needed some form of teamwork.
Bad teams simply couldnt do it.
Which also gave a feeling of accomplishment when you made it.

This in stark contrast of GW2, where 'everything should be solo-able' was a motto. Such a miss.

MORPG. massively online rpg.

If everything should be soloable, one could get the same excitement playing a solo game off line. The online part becomes a bragging right contest or trading market.

The amount of true teamgames are limited unfortunately.
FPS has CS-GO (at least, so i assume it is from watching streams, never played it myself)
MOBA has several (DOTA2, LoL, Heroes of the Storm, etc)
but MMORPG? not sure...
Yeh I agree. I also think that by killing the trinity (healer/tank/dps) they killed people's ability to feel they had a role to play. Getting a good group together was part of the fun. And removing dedicated healers is also a loss when it comes to a sense of team.

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 18:02   #4
Madcat
Advanced Shiverpeaks

SoF Members

City of Heores didn't ave a trinity and still had a great sense of teamwork - the fact that no-one was forced into playing a role they might not enjoy was a good point in my mind.

I'm playing Final Fantasy 14 at the moment, and it's clear that whilst obviously there are people who like playing healers and tanks, the vast majourity of people want to DPS, and you can work this out by the queue times. I don't think a game wins much by making situations where people might not 100% enjoy the character type they''re playing to have to access content.

One person's 'Sense of teamwork' is another person's 'Oh no, can't someone else heal/tank?'
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote