Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old November 25th, 2013, 00:50   #1
Atra Culpa
Aggro Happy

SoF Members

Melee Phantasm Build possibility after the December skill updates

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQ...SksIN+YZxGhJEA

This is being thrown around as one of the go to builds once the currently proposed changes hit.
Dropping it here for folks to take a look and discuss.

It isn't anything I'll be running myself, but anyone loving the phantasm style of play, this might be for you.

EDIT:
I've changed a few bits to make it a bit more PVE centric
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQRAs...iGruGT5SEVDA-e

BIG AGGRO, BIG PRIZES!
Atra Culpa.5012

Atra Pardalis Theurgical Atra

Last edited by Atra Culpa; November 25th, 2013 at 01:01.
Atra Culpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:02   #2
Cloud
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

Just for discussion purposes and for anyone that wasn't on vent, Atra and I personally would not run scepter here. Don't really see the point. Trait setup is fine for what it is but we would run sword instead.

Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 13:39   #3
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to Nightsorrow
Seems interesting - I've not experimented much with Mesmer in PvE much past the 20 20 0 0 30 build.

I agree with your tweaked version much more than the original, the Scepter choice is definately a wierd one. As this is targetted at being a build for the next patch, I believe the current 25 point trait for Illusions is being moved to the 15 points instead isn't it? Otherwise those 5 points seem odd since you won't be wanting to shatter in a phantasm build.

I believe the main issue for Phantasms in PvE will still exist though - incidental boss damage will always kill them off even with the HP boosts. I believe that's why traditionally the Focus has seen more play with Warden's Feedback, which this build would allow a swap to if the situation required (Harpy Fractal with <2 Guardians, for example).

I'd like to do some thorough testing with regards to Phantasms and combat/stealth as well - Ayano pulled some tricksy stuff in Fractals a while ago and I've definately noticed odd behaviour in sPvP but would be nice to know exactly what the circumstances are.

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat...
Nightsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 14:09   #4
Ayano Mitsu
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

What are the proposed changes exactly? (if someone doesn't mind posting the changes for me since I'm too lazy to find it myself hehe )

Speaking from the little sPvP or WvW experience I have with mesmer, scepter is generally a good choice paired with off hand sword because it gives you two blocks. For PvE purposes, I would agree that scepter isn't a very useful choice. The more PvE oriented build Atra posted is actually very similar to what I'm currently using, though b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶f̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶s̶.

Like NS said, focus plays a large role in the current mesmer meta due to its utility, though the offhand in my opinion is very situational: focus for reflects (when traited, which 99% of the time I will be) and offhand sword and/or pistol are prettyy gooood in regards to boss fights because those two phantasms generally stay out of the way (especially the duelist pew pew pew). So, for example, I can generally keep any combination of duelists and swordsmen up for boss fights like Mossman and pretty much afk if I want to (though I would never do that, right NS? )

Edit: I believe my traits are: 10(III),10(II),0,25(II,VIII),25(III,X)

Last edited by Ayano Mitsu; November 25th, 2013 at 14:13.
Ayano Mitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 18:13   #5
Atra Culpa
Aggro Happy

SoF Members

These are the proposed Mesmer Changes up for community discussion over on the official forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Peters
Mesmer:
The bulk of the mesmer changes are focused on two things. 1) Bringing up some of the mesmer support traits and condition removal traits. 2) Reduce dependency on certain trait lines. The changes to Mender’s Purity and Shattered conditions as well as the move of Dazzling Glamours are meant to accomplish the first of these two. The changes to Shattered Strength and Illusionist’s celerity are what we feel accomplish the second one. Before this change mesmers needed to place 25 points into Illusions for many of their builds. Now they can place only 15 points in there to get the Illusion cooldown which will give them back 10 more trait points to open up some new builds. Finally, we felt that the Mantra traits were fairly difficult to collect. Moving Mantra mastery to adept tier takes some trait pressure off of the Dueling line, allowing mantra mesmers to gain a good trait with only 10 points.
Domination XII – Confounding Suggestions. Changed to also increase daze duration by 25%.
Dueling VI – Protected Mantras. Moved to Master Tier. Increase Toughness from 400 to 600.
Dueling VII – Mantra Mastery. Moved to Adept Tier.
Chaos 25 – Chaotic Transference. Increased conversion from 5% to 10%.
Chaos I – Chaotic Revival. Reduced cooldown from 35s to 10s.
Chaos VII – Mirror of Anguish. Reduced cooldown from 90s to 60s.
Inspiration IV – Mender’s Purity. Now removes 2 conditions.
Inspiration XI – Shattered Conditions. Increased radius from 240 to 600.
Illusions VI – Illusionary Invigoration. Recharge reduced from 90s to 60s. Moved to Master Tier.
Illusions VIII – Dazzling Galmours. Moved to Adept Tier.
Illusions 15 – Shattered Strength – Moved to Grandmaster tier.
Illusions 25 – Illusionist’s Celerity – Moved to Master tier.
As you say, NS, Illusionist's Celerity is being moved to the 15 point minor, with Shattered Strength being moved to the 25 point. It basically made every mesmer on the forum immediately wet themselves.
The changes outlined here will certainly open up a few more possibilities, but I don't see them changing the status quo. In fact, I think the majority of players will take this build, scratch 10 from Duelling and put it into Domination for Greatsword Training, so they can keep their precious range. The Mantra trait switch won't make much difference unless you don't use a sword or need lots of clones, because, for me at least, Blade Training and Deceptive Evasion always win out. And let's face it, Mantras aren't strong skills when compared to the null fields, decoys, blinks, feedbacks and mirror images already vying for our attention.

I'm just waiting for what they have in mind for scepter and mimic revamps.

BIG AGGRO, BIG PRIZES!
Atra Culpa.5012

Atra Pardalis Theurgical Atra

Last edited by Atra Culpa; November 25th, 2013 at 18:42.
Atra Culpa is offline   Reply With Quote