Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old November 25th, 2012, 00:44   #31
Racthoh
Advanced Shiverpeaks

Forum Members

Send a message via MSN to Racthoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
I hadn't thought about how much one could boost this - my guardian is low-level still, but I was planning to invest in virtues anyway, so perhaps this will be my route as well. +30% duration from virtues, +50% from items, and reduced cooldown would allow for pretty much constant support of your team. I guess that you need to get the Monk runes with dungeon tokens? I'm guessing that rune of Santuary is bugged, or you'd be running two superior runes of Sanctuary instead of Fire? Would it be worth dropping to two major runes for +10% boon duration, or is the +20% Might duration a better idea?
2* Water for +15% Boon Duration
2* Monk for +15% Boon Duration

Then +20% Might duration (superior runes) or +10% Boon Duration (major runes)
for either +30% Boon Duration/+50% for Might or a flat +40% on all boons.
I actually hadn't realized the Sanctuary rune gave another +10% since the superior rune gives a different bonus. Interesting.
Old December 21st, 2012, 17:22   #32
makkert
Black Beast of Arghhhhhhh

SoF Emeritus

sup Rac.

Account GW2: Makkert.7968 toon: makkert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
My tactic is to confuse the enemy with my superior lack of logic.
makkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 06:19   #33
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

This is the "Meditations Berserker" that I've been using in both Dungeons and WvW. Its still not quite complete, but its working really well even in its partial form. It packs quite a punch and has numerous ways to replenish its own health and support the party. However, it is a bit slow. External sources of Swiftness from allied players make this build a monster.

Setup

Berserker Armor, Divinity Runes
50/50 Berserker/Valkyrie Accessories
Greatsword & Staff

25 Radiance (+250 Precision, +250 Condi Damage)
(Blind Nearby foes When activating Justice, Recharge Justice on Kill, Increased Damage to Foes with Conditions, Signet Recharge, Remove a Boon when you apply Burning)
30 Valor (+300 Toughness, +300 Crit Damage)
(Gain Aegis at 50% HP, Recharge Courage on Rally, Gain Might when you Block, Meditation Recharge, Meditations Instantcast, Meditations Heal)
10 Honor (+100 Vitality, +100 Healing)
(Vigor on Crit, Aegis Heals on Removal)
5 Virtues (+5% Boon Duration, -5% Virtue Recharge)
(Justice applies Might, Resolve applies Regeneration, Courage applies Protection)

Signet of Resolve
Judge's Intervention
Wall of Reflection
Smite Condition
Renewed Focus

Usage

This build should use GS-3 or JI to leap or teleport straight to the middle of the biggest scrums it can find. Set up shop with Wall of Reflection and GS-4 (Retaliation Symbol), and use GS-5 to bring some enemies into the house of pain (GS-2). In some instances where the clumping is just asking for it, skipping straight to GS-2 is more appropriate. Use your Meditations (which heal you) and Virtues (which combined provide Blind, Aegis, Heals, Regen, and Protection) to stay afloat in the middle of the zerg while GS-2 spins to win.

Note that no weapon specific traits are taken, so actually any weapon could be equipped at any time with no loss in efficiency. Staff is chosen for mostly Symbol of Swiftness between fights. Scepter/Shield is useful for clearing Oil and Cannons off of walls and protecting Siege with Bubbles.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness

Last edited by Neo; December 30th, 2012 at 13:52.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:26   #34
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Slight update. I really can't say enough good things about the Meditations Guardian. Its not original or anything, but its just a terrifyingly effective brawler.

One thing I didn't immediately realize was the incredible synergy of the Justice traits (Justice applies 3x5s Might, Recharge Justice on Kill, Justice Blinds nearby foes). In its chosen role of Zerg-Buster, this build can snowball completely out of control by spamming F1 in the middle of a large fight. You can even switch in the Blind-applies-3x5s Vulnerability trait (which basically = Justice applies Vulnerability) for an even more ridiculous wipe engine. This also makes the build a very efficient camp clearer.

In slight a build evolution, I've started using Shimmering Defense (7s burn nearby foes when hit under 25%) instead of Searing Flames, and have entertained the idea of dropping Signet Mastery and Signet of Resolve for Inner Fire (gain Fury when set on Fire) and Shelter. Also I'm planning to craft a Knight Sword of Energy and Knight Shield of Hydromancy to comprise a new 2nd set, as soon as I'm done buying Divinity runes.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 15:03   #35
Crash Test
Grand Master

SoF Councillors

Neo (or anyone really), what sort of damage output do you normally see on the average mob in a dungeon?

During last nights HoTW run i felt that i just really wasn't up to par and therefore ended up as the week link in my group. I need to get my character together and start playing it like a guardian was intended.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 16:16   #36
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Well with the Meditations build above you should be able to deal pretty high sustained dps, as most of the traits and gear choices are quite offensive. You will attract a lot of attention from mobs but through Meditations, Resolve/Courage, Renewed Focus, Resolve/Courage again, Signet of Resolve, Pure of Heart trait, etc, you should be able to stay up.

If you want a more "traditional" support Guardian, you can try the build below. I was meaning to post it later once I had more experience with it, but after testing it out in WvW last night it was pretty darn successful, and I can't imagine it being any worse for dungeons.

10 Valor (+70 Allied Toughness)
30 Honor (Symbol Size, 2 Hand Mastery, Allies Gain Resolve Passive)
30 Virtues (Consecration Mastery, Resolve Passive Boost, Elite Duration)

Cleric Armor (2x Monk, 2x Water, 2x undecided)
Knight Accessory (Ruby Jewel)
Cleric Staff of Energy
Cleric Mace of Energy & Cleric Shield of Life
Truffle Stew (+Vit, +Endurance Regen)

Shelter
Hold The Line
Stand Your Ground
Hallowed Ground / Wall of Reflection / Purging Flames
Tome of Courage

With this build you heal allies passively and grant them toughness by standing near them. You kick out long lasting Protection (HTL, Shield 4, Courage), Regeneration (HTL, Mace 2), Might (Justice, Staff 4), Stability (SYG, Hallowed Ground), Retaliation (SYG), and Swiftness (Staff 3), and additional heals through Selfless Daring (on dodge), Staff 2, Staff 4, Mace Chain, etc. Tome of Courage is just the ultimate troll skill, your party basically can't be killed while its active: there is nothing else like it in the game.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 13:25   #37
Marcus Ferret
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Well with the Meditations build above you should be able to deal pretty high sustained dps, as most of the traits and gear choices are quite offensive. You will attract a lot of attention from mobs but through Meditations, Resolve/Courage, Renewed Focus, Resolve/Courage again, Signet of Resolve, Pure of Heart trait, etc, you should be able to stay up.

If you want a more "traditional" support Guardian, you can try the build below. I was meaning to post it later once I had more experience with it, but after testing it out in WvW last night it was pretty darn successful, and I can't imagine it being any worse for dungeons.

10 Valor (+70 Allied Toughness)
30 Honor (Symbol Size, 2 Hand Mastery, Allies Gain Resolve Passive)
30 Virtues (Consecration Mastery, Resolve Passive Boost, Elite Duration)

Cleric Armor (2x Monk, 2x Water, 2x undecided)
Knight Accessory (Ruby Jewel)
Cleric Staff of Energy
Cleric Mace of Energy & Cleric Shield of Life
Truffle Stew (+Vit, +Endurance Regen)

Shelter
Hold The Line
Stand Your Ground
Hallowed Ground / Wall of Reflection / Purging Flames
Tome of Courage

With this build you heal allies passively and grant them toughness by standing near them. You kick out long lasting Protection (HTL, Shield 4, Courage), Regeneration (HTL, Mace 2), Might (Justice, Staff 4), Stability (SYG, Hallowed Ground), Retaliation (SYG), and Swiftness (Staff 3), and additional heals through Selfless Daring (on dodge), Staff 2, Staff 4, Mace Chain, etc. Tome of Courage is just the ultimate troll skill, your party basically can't be killed while its active: there is nothing else like it in the game.
The above traits line is what I've been running since I hit 80 on my Guardian although I tend to stick with retaliation due to my tendency to solo. It annoys the hell out of opposition players in WvW as well...

10 Valor (IV)
30 Honor (I, II, IV or VIII [depending on whether playing support or frontline])
30 Virtues (II, IV, IX)

Knight's set (with superior Divinity)
Staff (for support role)
Greatsword (for frontline)
Scepter & Focus (for AoE and dps)
Scepter & Shield (for defensive role)

Signet of Resolve

My other skills consists of shouts, depending on the situation in PvE or WvW; as is the elite skill.

Initially, I did mention that scepter/focus would be a disgrace to a heavy armour class such as the Guardian. Well, it's my main weapon set these days, both in PvE and WvW, and I'm loving it.

Damage is decent plus you have a 2s immobilise with scepter skill 3. Focus skill 4 a blind+regen, and skill 5 a shield. If you're good at dodging, a scepter/focus Guardian is annoying as hell in WvW and capable of soloing quite a few champion mobs in Cursed Shores (though it will take time...).

Marcus Ferret [R] l Jade Felicity Rose [W] l Divine Azure Rose [M] l Xavier Light [Rit] l Crystal Autumn Rose [W] PvP l Spicy Asia [D] PvP l

'War tends to separate the weak from the strong... Peace separates us from reality... In life, we shall encounter our personal battles... In death, we discover peace...' ~ J. Marcus (1972-20??)
Marcus Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 23:39   #38
Cloud
Fierce Echovald

SoF Members

My usual build. Swap Wall of Reflection/SoJ for Retreat depending on the circumstances. I run this with 3 superior monk and water runes for boon duration and healing plus boon duration food. It's very much a support build though.

EDIT: The website is being buggy so it doesn't show I do every boon except fury and vigor. Also feel free to pick apart my build since I'm always looking to improve it.

Site sucks. It doesn't show that I use greatsword as my secondary or my attack is 2770.

Last edited by Cloud; February 5th, 2013 at 00:48.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:55   #39
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

We have many Guardians that may already be running this, but the following build (and slight variations thereof) is currently the accepted "meta" Guardian that is highly sought after in both WvW and PvE in many high level groups and servers. The core principle is to take advantage of the synergy between Altruistic Healing, Virtue of Justice, Inspired Virtue, and Renewed Justice (... and Justice is Blind... and Blind Exposure).

Hammer/Staff or GS/Staff (Perception and Restoration Sigils)

Signet of Resolve
Save Yourselves
Stand Your Ground
Contemplation of Purity
Renewed Focus

0 Zeal
15 Radiance (Blind Exposure)
30 Valor (Meditations Recharge, Retrubutive Armor, Altruistic Healing)
20 Honor (Symbol Size, 2H Mastery)
5 Virtues

PTV Armor, 2x Sup Monk 2x Sup Water 2x Divinity Runes, Berz/Valk Amulet/Ring/Earring, Berz Back

---------------------------------------

So, each time you apply a Boon to anyone (inlcluding yourself) you gain about 80 Health. Multiple stacks of Might only count as 1, but VoJ hitting your whole party still gives 400. Not to mention AoE Blind, Vulnerability, 3x Might, and oh yeah Burning damage. Symbols give 80 per second per player affected. All of your utility skills, and other Virtues, grant Boons as well. Might of the Protector and Vigorous Precision (traits) grant yet more Boons. Staff 4, more Boons. Triggering AoE Might or Retaliation with Mighty Blow, more Boons.

The AH Boon Spam combined with the general beefiness of the build in the first place make it a very hardy zerg trooper. It contributes quite a bit of utility with Wards, Knockback, Immobilize, and surprising damage through Mighty Blow (especially with those Precision stacks). Generally, replace Hammer with GS for PvE.

Old March 1st, 2013, 15:01   #40
anomander
Adept Tyrian

SoF Members

I noticed there is an ongoing discussion on Guru about focussing on AH or a far more DPS/Precision oriented build.
I use an AH build myself with GS/Staff but use 3 shouts for party support mostly in my utility slots rather than meditations and symbols. When necessary I add in wall of reflection or use scepter/focus. I have a nice exotic mace and shield but really never use it. 6 runes of the soldier in my armor for extra toughness and vitality with the shouts removing a condition. Guardians are tough but normally not dealing so well with conditions.
It makes for nice survivability in most circumstances and tanking for your party. I am now starting to think about adding more damage and precision without having to sacrifice too much tankiness.
anomander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:43   #41
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Can any one advise a good GDN build as my asura GDN is almost lvl 80. Ideally I'd like something for WvW that is bunker/trolly as I like the idea of going way up front and not being killed

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:49   #42
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to Nightsorrow
My Guardian is built for PvE primarily but definately functions in WvW (I basically play as a line breaker - charge into the middle of the zerg, blow every skill and cooldown then retreat to survive if not enough people followed the charge). I'm sure there are better WvW builds, but this gives you something at least.

Traits are 0 0 30 30 10.
Signet Recharge - Party-wide Toughness - Atruistic Healing
Shout Cooldown - 2 Handed Cooldown - Pure of Voice
Consecration Recharge (or Spirit Weapon duration, if situation calls for it)

I run full Knights armor with 6 runes of the Soldier (so that each shout removes 2 conditions, combined with Pure of Voice). I use Soldier (PVT) weapons and accessories (for PvE the accessories should probably be Berserker but I wanted to go full on survival originally). I usually throw Sigils of Force on weapons since there aren't really that many attractive options for Guardian in my experience.

As far as which weapons to use goes, I find Guardians change their weapon setups more often than any other class. Greatsword & Staff are my normal go-to weapons (I like the GS leap on 5 and pull from 5, the Swiftness from Staff 3 is so critical for getting around the world quickly) but I regularly swap with Hammer (blast finishers, immobilise, ring of warding) or Scepter/Shield (if I really must be ranged, I also moan about Scepter a lot... A LOT). Focus is also very strong as an offhand but I don't have one, and I only use a 1 hander if I really, really have to.

Hope this helps!

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat...
Nightsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 18:00   #43
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsorrow View Post
My Guardian is built for PvE primarily but definately functions in WvW (I basically play as a line breaker - charge into the middle of the zerg, blow every skill and cooldown then retreat to survive if not enough people followed the charge). I'm sure there are better WvW builds, but this gives you something at least.

Traits are 0 0 30 30 10.
Signet Recharge - Party-wide Toughness - Atruistic Healing
Shout Cooldown - 2 Handed Cooldown - Pure of Voice
Consecration Recharge (or Spirit Weapon duration, if situation calls for it)

I run full Knights armor with 6 runes of the Soldier (so that each shout removes 2 conditions, combined with Pure of Voice). I use Soldier (PVT) weapons and accessories (for PvE the accessories should probably be Berserker but I wanted to go full on survival originally). I usually throw Sigils of Force on weapons since there aren't really that many attractive options for Guardian in my experience.

As far as which weapons to use goes, I find Guardians change their weapon setups more often than any other class. Greatsword & Staff are my normal go-to weapons (I like the GS leap on 5 and pull from 5, the Swiftness from Staff 3 is so critical for getting around the world quickly) but I regularly swap with Hammer (blast finishers, immobilise, ring of warding) or Scepter/Shield (if I really must be ranged, I also moan about Scepter a lot... A LOT). Focus is also very strong as an offhand but I don't have one, and I only use a 1 hander if I really, really have to.

Hope this helps!
Thank you, very useful. I'll try this setup as soon as I reach 80 which should be any time now.

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote