Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Professions
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old November 14th, 2012, 02:36   #31
Jenosavel
Incorrigible Raisu

SoF Emeritus

It's been a really interesting experience playing with wells and traits. In particular, my first instinct after GW1 would have been to pair wells with a conditions build. But actually, many of the wells don't deal any damage through conditions. Well of Power and Well of Darkness are both defensive-only wells that deal no damage, and Well of Suffering offers non-damaging conditions paired with direct-damage pulses. Only Well of Corruption has the opportunity to use your condition damage stat, but even then you don't have much control over how the conditions are applied.

I think that's one of the things that surprised me most on necro. It still sort of feels weird that wells don't pair better with condition damage. But I won't complain! I'm enjoying my non-condition-damage necro just fine.

But I do have to wonder. The trait for ground-targeting wells is in the condition damage trait line, which seems to make little sense to me. I'd love to use that trait, but its quite far into a trait line that has no other benefits to my build.

Jenosavel.1756 - Leaves and Embers

Laurel Nokomis - Ravenna Moonshadows - Agghi - Ravenna Ninemoons - Cahaoir - Aurellia Lithlanos - Khalybs Greymaw - Jeno Blindingdawn
Jenosavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:10   #32
Ivan
"2gud"

SoF Members

Wells Necro since the day I hit 80. Explorables have been a breeze.

Some people don't find that the strength of wells are extended combo fields. Seeing party members removing conditions is awesome.

I go Axe/Dagger + staff combo with Power > Precision > Toughness stacking.
I die alot in lower end dungeons like CM and AC..but level 80 Dungeons my necro is nearly unkillable, I have no idea whats the case here, I guess crappy gear scaling or something (I have 1900 Power, 2200 Toughness, 1800 precision).

Necro building tanky is very viable, because you have Deathshroud, and there are certain techniques to get Soul Power(sp?) easily (like 2 or 3 hits and boom, instant full bar). I'm going to go into more depth about my playstyle later, I hope you guys do too so maybe we could share some personal knowledge on the class

Its a trick! Get an Axe.

safo.2954
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 17:44   #33
Oracle
Grand Master

SoF Founders

Nightsorrow has also got me wanting to get Superior Rune of the Afflicted for my Necro (to probably over-write the sup runes of the nightmare that are on my exotic set)

(1): +28 Condition Damage
(2): +15% Bleed duration
(3): +55 Condition Damage
(4): +15% Poison duration
(5): +100 Condition Damage
(6): You create a Death Nova when you go down. (Cooldown: 30 sec.)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Supe..._the_Afflicted

GW2: Oracle.2134

'A' is for ASURA <3
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 18:30   #34
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Superior runes of the Mad King are neat, too:
(1): +25 Power
(2): +10% Condition duration
(3): +50 Power
(4): +15% Bleed duration
(5): +90 Power
(6): Summon ravens to attack nearby foes when you use an elite skill.

It offers two decent boosts to duration, while also offering Power, which is nice for upping base damage on many necromancer skills. One of my friends is looking at 2 runes of the afflicted, 2 runes of the Centaur, and 2 runes of the Krait for his setup.

Krait:
(1): +28 Condition Damage (2): +15% Bleed Duration
Centaur:
(1): +25 Power (2): +15% Bleed Duration
Afflicted:
(1): +28 Condition Damage (2): +15% Bleed Duration

45% more bleeding is impressive. (Edit - he's running an elementalist actually, but also focused on bleeding; he gets 20% more bleed duration from an earth trait as well, and 10% condition duration from Fire, for +75% bleed durations).

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy

Last edited by Epinephrine; November 15th, 2012 at 18:37.
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 19:23   #35
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

I've also pondered 3x 15% bleeding runes, although for a sword warrior. However, I think that bleeding duration has diminishing returns, since as bleeding is applied to enemies at lower and lower health, the extra duration only extends the duration of fresh stacks of bleeding farther into the time after which they are already dead. Thus while bleeding duration does linearly benefit initial stacks of bleeding, it does not benefit bleeding at all after a certain point in time, and that point is perversely moved forwards with longer bleeding duration.

I would recommend a more mainstream rune approach.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 19:58   #36
Epinephrine
Holy Schmolybringer

SoF Councillors

Well, I think it depends on what you want to do. If you want an attack you can hit someone with once and they'll die from it if they didn't slot condition removal, you want to absolutely maximise the attack. I don't think he's quite at that point, but with a rare pizza for +40% condition duration and +75% from his traits/gear, Earth Staff 2 hits for 6 stacks of bleeding at 110 damage per tick, for 24.5 seconds, or 16,000 or so damage - enough to kill glass cannon types. You can pretty much fire it off and leave. If you're instead looking at contributing in damage in most fights in PvE, or where you're applying the condition multiple times, you're likely better off with bigger damage per tick over a shorter period. Being able to cast a spell once in WvW and know that you've probably killed the guy is pretty nice, you just keep climbing your jumping puzzle/run away/ fall back from the tower wall, and wait for the XP to pop up.

Lana Erenid - Neal Andrei - Andrea Nile - Daniela Ren - Running Was Epi - Your Refrigerator - Epi Siotomy

Last edited by Epinephrine; November 15th, 2012 at 21:06.
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 23:50   #37
Nightsorrow
#WhoTheHeckIsNS

SoF Members

Send a message via MSN to Nightsorrow
Glad to hear I've inspired you Oracle - but one thing I would say ... don't get the 6th rune of the Afflicted, the death nova is dreadful, does pretty much nothing other than look hillarious when you die from falling damage.

I hadn't much thought about Combo'ing runes differently to max bleeding durations. My Necro build is basically condition overload, just about everything I do applies conditions (mostly bleeding but others in there as well). I've been leaning towards maxing the amount of +Condition Damage I can do as the primary focus, with anything else being a happy coincidence.

I would advise steering clear of Power if you're using a Scepter on a Necro though, I remember reading that the base damage amounts from the Scepter skills are very low, it's all about the condition damage (I don't have a citation for this, so it may be complete rubbish - if someone knows otherwise then please correct me!).

It's hard to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat...
Nightsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:52   #38
Ivan
"2gud"

SoF Members

Power necros should use anything par a scepter since scepters are known for fast bleed stacking and some utility conditions..

Staff all scale off power, Axe too, and dagger to some extent.

Its a trick! Get an Axe.

safo.2954
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote