Go Back   Servants of Fortuna Forums > Victrix > GvG Reports
Register Roster Forum Members Calendar Arcade Chat Mark Forums Read

Old September 22nd, 2007, 16:57   #1
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Hail to the Victors, 9/21/07

Our valiant heroes (Gus, Bruce, Berserker, Taelith, Lucky, Tzuul, Neo, and Trixx) were at it again last night - saving the world, sockin' it to the bad guys, teaching stones to talk, and even putting a stop to global warming. No joke. We ran our usual balanced splitting build for the entire night, and given the results, that doesnt seem likely to change anytime soon

Tonight we had a very wide range of experiences, including avenging a previous loss, beating down HvH scrubs, and getting trashtalked by a heroway. Our night was marred by two glaring mistakes, but in general, we domianted every single game we played. Very satisfying.

Chaos Throne; Nomads Isle; Win

This was a rematch against a team that we had recently lost to, so we were eager to do much better this time. In the previous battle our negligence of staying out of quicksand trouble had cost us, so we were very careful of that this time around. We immedeately split into their base through the teleporters, and when they sent people back to deal with that we engaged their remaining forces at the stand. We ended up pushing them on both fronts, scoring boosts, kills, and clearing some NPCs. We pushed them back into base and started trying to push them in their Lord Room, but quickly decided we were taking too much damage - so we fell back and resplit. At VoD, they charged across the sand and tried to bodyblock the entrance to our base (so their warriors could gank our Lord), but our monks made it into base safely. From there we defended the Lord until our splitters dropped their Lord.

Fashion Police; Frozen Isle; Win

This team was full of top HvHers, including #1 Ekelon. They ran a team consisting of almost nothing but assasins and monks, so this match was very similar to the AP game from the previous night. However, in this game we consistently outskirmished them, while retaining constant power over their main team's movements and the lever room. By VoD they had lost many NPCs, and we had lost only a few. They had alot of DP. Their team at the stand exploded and we dropped their Lord.

The Shiznitz; Uncharted Isle; Win

Heroway with Charr Touch Rangers!!! We split this team as well, dropped their bodyguard quickly and also pushed back their stand team. When pushing their base we found we took too much damage because we didnt have enough direct healing to keep with all those touchers up if we couldnt kite them, and they had a handy water ele who apparently remembered how2snare. We retreated and Bruce got stuck in the gate. Smooth. We let them kill him so he would base res. At VoD they didnt really do anything, and just camped Lord. That was fine with us, we killed their remianing NPCs as they came out and waited for the Lords to walk. When they did, the game was over. The best part of this game was that while this team camped Lord after getting rolled, it was interesting to see them start trash talking. Not that getting trash talked by 999 rating heroway touch rangers is new, but hey, it never gets old.

Clan W A S D; Warrior's Isle; Draw

This team had 2 warriors and 2 mesmers. And they hurt. Alot. We split into their base and they seemed content to only defend with a single person. Meanwhile they pushed us 7v5. It was an interesting game, with us pretty much obliterating everything in their base quickly. The problem was, they killed us very quickly at the stand, and we were forced back many times. Luckily, they pushed too hard a couple times, and ended up wiping out of our base at least twice. Immedeately before 8:00 we were getting pushed again and our monks dropped. We made the mistake of ressing, and our monks dropped again immedeately after 8:00. (We should have let our monks base res). Anyways, that let them have a free shot at our entire base, but more importantly our Lord. We didnt have any more res for our monks. However, all during this time Bruce, Gus, Taelith, and Tzuul had infiltrated their base again and were on their Lord, which by this time was completely undefended. So in the end, the game hinged on a tense Guild Lord race - we had a head start, but they had more damage and were catching up fast. The Lords dropped at the about the same time - tie. From our point of view this was very dissapointing, we had this match in the bag and we let it slip out. Our bad, it wont happen again.

Battery Powered Best Friend; Frozen Isle; Loss

Using our amazing powers of prediction, we knew that we were going to face this team before we even were assigned a match. (It might have had something to do with the fact that Vibe had 4 matches on observer at the time). Anyways, these guys were running an allegedly "unbeatable" build, with a steady stance war and many energy drain assasins. Im not sure where they got that title, but I doubt it - we made them look pretty silly. We defended their main team well, and our split, as usual, dominated. By VoD their base was nearly cleared, they had DP, and we had constant boosts. However, at VoD we made a critical mistake, which ended up in me (a monk) dying. The rout was on, as they lunged towards our base and we had no way to recover. Like the last game, this was dissapointing, but this time it had given us a loss instead of a tie. Regardless, we learned from this mistake, and hopefully we wont snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again any time soon.

Guardianes Del Honor; Hunter's Isle; Win

This team ran alot of flagstand defense and had a very annoying mesmer. We split into their base, where we were intially stalled because they sent so many people back to defend. However, we eventually overcame this. We dropped their entire skirmish team after an even minute, at which point their stand team paniced and started running back to base. However, we snared them with our water ele and they never made it back to base to put up a credible defense. We dropped their Lord right before they got in range.

We Count Corpses; Imperial Isle; Win

This team was running heavy condition pressure, with two sword warriors, a trapper, a ranger, and a tainted Me/N with Humility. We split into base (for a change ) and cleared many NPCs. Meanwhile, we held firm easily at the flagstand. We eventually reformed 8v8 and pushed them back into base. They dealt alot of damage, but because both of our Monk elites (LoD and RC) are very good against their build, and they could never shut down both, we were rarely threatened. This also may have had something to do with the fact that Trixx and I were just playing really good with our dual Guardians. Or the fact that Bruce's IB hammer > Trappers. Or any number of other awesome facts about our team . Anyways, after a bit of a struggle in their base, we wiped their team and dropped their Lord. By the way, we seem to win so much on this map, that short of using ourselves, we, or at least I, have started referring to it as the "win map")

Xen of Ownslaught; Frozen Isle; Win

This was a highly ranked team, but it had none of the players that had gotten it so high - it has been bought by the same fellows that bought [acid]. Anyways, we dominated their split so hard, we had 80% of their base (including the Lord room) dead within 3 minutes. For the rest of the game they played tentatively and we quickly punished any attempt to fight us in skirmish, so they basically just waited until VoD, at which point they rushed our Lord. They dealt alot of damage, and even managed to kill me once (ruined the flawless ) but they got no where close to breaking our team (in fact, quite the opposite). It turned out not to matter either way, though, as our skirmishers dropped their Lord.

A good night if I do say so myself! We finished with a 6-1-1 record, which, while very good, was startlingly a letdown when you realize that we would have been 8-0 if not for two lousy mistakes. In any case, it was also a good learning experience, and we'll be back stronger than ever for our next ladder night.

Oh, and lastly, anyone that didnt hear it already on vent, that can tell me what the naming theme is for my match reports is, gets a cookie. You want that cookie.

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:03   #2
Marillion Bloodbane
Adept Tyrian

Tor Ambassadors

Great report as always Neo! Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Congratulations as always to you guys! Nice record for the night for sure.

Dangit Neo, I know I heard you mention the theme but I just can't pick it out of my brain right now. Of course you know its going to keep bugging me...

The Torrencians [Tor]
IGN: Marillion Bloodbane
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:27   #3
Yue
Reef

Forum Members

1.8 mil was well worth it.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:29   #4
Greedy Gus
Devotee Jade Sea

Victrix Officers

lol, nice

Greedy Gus | Nasty Needle | Pro Politico | Sudden Setback | Fixed Formula | Gus Frenzies
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:11   #5
Atra Culpa
Aggro Happy

SoF Members

Wow that's a nice set of matches! against that we EU GvGers are real scrubs

Is the theme by chance College Football?

BIG AGGRO, BIG PRIZES!
Atra Culpa.5012

Atra Pardalis Theurgical Atra
Old September 23rd, 2007, 16:48   #6
Neo
Uberness Reborn

Victrix Officers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atra Culpa

Is the theme by chance College Football
Ah, close, but what element of college football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yue View Post
1.8 mil was well worth it.
That was the price you sold Xoo for?

Facet.5914 || Archon | Scion | Aspect | Aura | Facet of Uberness

Last edited by Neo; September 23rd, 2007 at 17:05.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 17:24   #7
Yue
Reef

Forum Members

Technically 2 mil. The original idea was 1.8mil and required an unanimous vote, but since Less was being gay an extra 200k was added to "convince" the sale. 1.8 mil was split 9 ways between the original 9 people who played in it, so everyone got 200k.

Emo sold for a bit less at 1.5 mil, and was split 4 ways. And that was only to the people who happened to be online when the deal was made, which included someone who didn't even play in the guild.

I ended up with about 600k total.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 21:51   #8
Naga
Reef

Forum Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Ah, close, but what element of college football?

That was the price you sold Xoo for?
Is it fight songs?
Old September 24th, 2007, 16:11   #9
Jaws
Incorrigible Raisu

Forum Members

Hail to the Victors is the University of Michigan Fight Song. Somebody is probably celebrating their victory over Penn State this weekend, even though I don't know who would admit to being a U of M fan after getting beat by App St.

I move that the next used Fight Song to be Hail Purdue as they're still undefeated, 26th in the AP Poll, 25th in the USA Today Poll, and going to be 5-0 next week when they beat Notre Dame. I'm sure Steve will put in a vote for it too.

Oh, and good job everyone! Glad to see these match reports rolling in like back when I applied. I missed them so.....
Old September 24th, 2007, 16:25   #10
Atra Culpa
Aggro Happy

SoF Members

Hehe. I'm happy just being close, being Anglo-germanic and knowing next to nothing of American Football

BIG AGGRO, BIG PRIZES!
Atra Culpa.5012

Atra Pardalis Theurgical Atra
Old September 24th, 2007, 17:22   #11
Tap
Devotee Jade Sea

Retired Victrix Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws Of Doom View Post
Somebody is probably celebrating their victory over Penn State this weekend, even though I don't know who would admit to being a U of M fan after getting beat by App St.
What's worse; losing to App St, or losing to the team who lost to App St?
Old September 24th, 2007, 17:38   #12
Sir Bruce
Adept Tyrian

Forum Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap View Post
That's an interesting question. As far as App St. is concerned, they may be Divisions 2 or some shit but they aren't your everyday push over by any sense of the word. I went to Western Carolina University for 3 years, and they are our Arch-Rival so I got to see them play a lot either on local TV or when they beat the shit out of us, and they are just as good if not better than a lot of the the MAC, Sunbelt, and WAC teams, and if not for the limited room for the school to expand they would be Division 1 by now. Plus the kicker who kicked the game winner against Michigan, Julian Rauch, is also the guy who put the state championship ring on my finger as well, so that I'm pretty proud of that, especially since after they won he made a point to call me that night to rub it in.

"We didnt lose the game, we just ran out of time." ~ Vince Lombardi

Sir Bruce of Oxford | Carrie The Devine | Sir Marvin The Wise | Mistress Lone Raven | Madame Lone Raven
Old September 24th, 2007, 17:40   #13
Jaws
Incorrigible Raisu

Forum Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap View Post
Now knowing my luck, Michigan will beat Purdue when we play them in Ann Arbor in a few weeks, and I'm never going to here the end of it... I can always hope, can't I?
Old September 24th, 2007, 17:49   #14
Sir Bruce
Adept Tyrian

Forum Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws Of Doom View Post
Now knowing my luck, Michigan will beat Purdue when we play them in Ann Arbor in a few weeks, and I'm never going to here the end of it... I can always hope, can't I?
Well Michigan never thought they would have to HOPE to beat App St. but they found out differently didn't they.

"We didnt lose the game, we just ran out of time." ~ Vince Lombardi

Sir Bruce of Oxford | Carrie The Devine | Sir Marvin The Wise | Mistress Lone Raven | Madame Lone Raven
Old September 24th, 2007, 19:35   #15
Tap
Devotee Jade Sea

Retired Victrix Members

App St is gud at futbawl.

In my opinion, Michigan's loss to App. St and Oregon was a case of overlooking two 'lower' class teams against the usual suspects Michigan has to play (Notre Dame, Penn St). It was very evident due to the sloppy nature of play in the first two games; but Balthazaar bless Mike Hart and his overly large sized shoulders for carrying Michigan through these tough times.

In other CFB news....wutdafux up with Loiusville?